Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aviery

APX2 Skate - The NHL's preferred skate?

Bauer must have done something right with this skate as it appears as though at least 85% of the NHL are currently laced up in an APX2 boot.

Thinking of making the switch from a TatalOne NXG boot to an APX2 as they're starting to go on sale. Has anyone made the switch? what have been your thoughts around performance, adjustment period, break in time?

And to the tech mesh group's tally, let's not forget the Nexus-dressed t.m. vapors that are really popular at the pro (and junior, college, etc.) level right now.

There's usually a few pair up for sale on eBay now, ever since the start of this season pretty much. Here's one I just found.

You can see how the structure of the quarters is just like an X90 Vapor, but with Nexus 7000 gloss over where that boot would have ribs. The heel is much more elegant on these than any other Bauer skate in my opinion. Tons of pros use them. Now that you've seen the eBay link, you'll probably recognize the boots in action. I've seen them in the KHL and other team-equipment-order elite amateur levels as well.

What is the benefit of the TechMesh over the Curv Composite? Stiffness? Durability?

Not so much a benefit but just what players have used to and are comfortable with. The X90 (and X7.0 before that) are the successor of the Vapor X:60 which was another major boost to the Vapor line in terms converting players from other skates.

There's usually a few pair up for sale on eBay now, ever since the start of this season pretty much. Here's one I just found.

You can see how the structure of the quarters is just like an X90 Vapor, but with Nexus 7000 gloss over where that boot would have ribs. The heel is much more elegant on these than any other Bauer skate in my opinion. Tons of pros use them. Now that you've seen the eBay link, you'll probably recognize the boots in action. I've seen them in the KHL and other team-equipment-order elite amateur levels as well.

I actually was thinking about picking those up. What do you mean by "much more elegant"?

I just like that the texture of the materials in each part of the skate shows more than any sublimated or glossed graphics package. The heel of the retail Nexus 7000 looks like some sick insect to me. I like the look of the tech mesh and the ribs on the heel without any b.s. coloring that's nothing but an obscuring coating...but that could just be because my recent taste has tended toward minimal cosmetics.

I just like that the texture of the materials in each part of the skate shows more than any sublimated or glossed graphics package. The heel of the retail Nexus 7000 looks like some sick insect to me. I like the look of the tech mesh and the ribs on the heel without any b.s. coloring that's nothing but an obscuring coating...but that could just be because my recent taste has tended toward minimal cosmetics.

I agree. The fact that they are black and not designed to look like a skittles bag is what has me thinking about them.

Bauer must have done something right with this skate as it appears as though at least 85% of the NHL are currently laced up in an APX2 boot.

Thinking of making the switch from a TatalOne NXG boot to an APX2 as they're starting to go on sale. Has anyone made the switch? what have been your thoughts around performance, adjustment period, break in time?

Keep in mind that pros are on a custom last and can fit any skate they wish. The same may not be true for your feet.

For arguments sake, I look for pro stock skates all the time, and I don't see "tons" of these, nor X:60, X:7, X90's.

I did two years ago, but not nearly as many anymore. Seems like more guys are in the full composite skates... To me at least.

I don't think the sample of pro stock skates you see for sale is large enough to provide any sort of indication as to what the majority of players are using.

I don't think the sample of pro stock skates you see for sale is large enough to provide any sort of indication as to what the majority of players are using.

What other indication could we use? Lol.

I think it gives a pretty solid idea if theres way more guys in composite Bauers or not.

For arguments sake, I look for pro stock skates all the time, and I don't see "tons" of these, nor X:60, X:7, X90's.

I did two years ago, but not nearly as many anymore. Seems like more guys are in the full composite skates... To me at least.

To be clear, my "tons" was referring specifically to the Nexus 7000 dressed pro tech-mesh Vapor boots JaniV was asking to see in detail. I used "tons" for that group, simply because I'm surprised Bauer would allow so much of that mix-and-match pro stock into circulation. However, it makes sense that they would do so in order to pump up demand for the Nexus skate line.

It would be impossible to list all of the guys in pro-leagues wearing tech-mesh Vapors, but a few that come to mind right away are: Karlsson, Landeskog, Turris, Gaborik, Doughty, McDonagh, Hansen and Grabovski, Toews, Kessel, Nash, Keith, Stamkos...

To be clear, my "tons" was referring specifically to the Nexus 7000 dressed pro tech-mesh Vapor boots JaniV was asking to see in detail. I used "tons" for that group, simply because I'm surprised Bauer would allow so much of that mix-and-match pro stock into circulation. However, it makes sense that they would do so in order to pump up demand for the Nexus skate line.

It would be impossible to list all of the guys in pro-leagues wearing tech-mesh Vapors, but a few that come to mind right away are: Karlsson, Landeskog, Turris, Gaborik, Doughty, McDonagh, Hansen and Grabovski, Toews, Kessel, Nash, Keith, Stamkos...

Nor would I expect you to. Theres still guys in them, I would never disagree with that. But I think theres a lot more guys in composite skates now, especially compared to a couple years ago when it seemed less guys wanted to switch.

Doughty is funny though, that guy loves skates he can flex. Ever notice how loose his skates are? I love it, he's the man.

doughty031813.jpg

Absolutely, that was the first thing I noted about him. He's a great skater.

I forgot to say, I agree that there definitely seems to be more guys in CURV boots than in tech-mesh.

Pretty cool, since reading this I have been keeping an eye out during games. There are definitely a number of players using them.

I have been trying to convince my buddy who is a huge Blackhawks fan that a lot of the pros do not use composite boots. I feel another reason why they may use the non composite is because of the sheer number of pairs they go through a season. A few years ago taking a walk through the Hawks locker room I noticed a stack of about 15 boxes of skates all with Toews name on them, this walk through was around November. I would really like to know the total number of pairs a player will go through each season.

Having to break in multiple pairs of composite boots does not seem appealing to me.

Not to mention they get free skates whenever they feel like theirs are no longer good enough. Tech mesh breaks down quicker therefore you are replacing them more often if you are hard on your skates.

Can't say for other teams but a few seasons back in Vancouver most guys would go through about 6-7 pairs of skates per season.

I have been trying to convince my buddy who is a huge Blackhawks fan that a lot of the pros do not use composite boots. I feel another reason why they may use the non composite is because of the sheer number of pairs they go through a season. A few years ago taking a walk through the Hawks locker room I noticed a stack of about 15 boxes of skates all with Toews name on them, this walk through was around November. I would really like to know the total number of pairs a player will go through each season.

Having to break in multiple pairs of composite boots does not seem appealing to me.

Not to mention they get free skates whenever they feel like theirs are no longer good enough. Tech mesh breaks down quicker therefore you are replacing them more often if you are hard on your skates.

During the lockout a couple years ago, Toews came into the shop I work at with two brand new pair of skates (one of which was a pair of Vapor 7.0's dressed to look like NXG's) and as we were heating them for him, I asked how many pair he goes through a year. He said about 3-4 pair per season, since he likes the feeling of a fresh, stiff boot, but not the overly stiff composite boots.

We saw Sharp in a few times too, and he is still in the old Vapor XXX skates that are dressed to look like the latest tech mesh Vapor skate on the market. Kane, on the other hand, was in a composite boot.