Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Dustin Byfuglien's All-Star skates

I wouldn't wear them but I'm glad they are so bright its bound to be a talking point and will bring VH some nice publicity.

Will they talk about the loosening rivets or the issues folks have with the tendon guards?

Will they talk about the loosening rivets or the issues folks have with the tendon guards?

Loosening rivets are common with a lot of thin carbon outsoles (See: every Easton Synergy/Stealth skate). It's not a VH specific problem.

To stay on topic, it looks like he slathered Nickelodeon slime all over his skates.

To be fair, that's a pretty bad quality photo. I'll reserve judgement until I see how the colors match the sweaters on TV, that is if I watch the all-star game. Sometimes the sexy intricate details are not even visible on TV and most skates look the same. These will obviously stand out and make people ask "What are those skates? Oh, did you say around half of the Jets are wearing them? Hmm..!" They have to hide the VH logo, but it won't stop them from being noticed.

BTW, did you notice the additional copper rivets on those skates? I think holder fastening techniques have to be updated to keep up with composite sole technology, not that composite soles are the only type to ever have problems with loosening rivets.

I didn't think it was even possible to make them even uglier than the stock ones.

the stock ones aren't ugly. The original VH skates are nice. I don't own a pair but people like them. Some think the vapor is an ugly skate. everyone has their own opinion

Yes, in my opinion the original VH skates look horrible too. Unfinished, made-in-the-garage look and ugly design.

the stock ones aren't ugly. The original VH skates are nice. I don't own a pair but people like them. Some think the vapor is an ugly skate. everyone has their own opinion

VH skates are by far the best skates I've put my money into, best fitting most comfortable and best performing skates I have purchased hands down. The past 2 years I purchased custom Bauer APX2s their not even close.

the skates will read well visually once laced and on television. they only look strange because of the photo angle.

I think a pair of the old Mission Boss Black skates with a chassis mounted on them would match the white jerseys quite well.

http://tinyurl.com/k7vyulo

As for Big Buff's VH skates - cosmetically I think it's too heavy on the green. If they knew he was going to be on the black team then a mostly black skate with subtle green piping would've been great and substitute black for white if he ended up on the white team. The fact that they stand out so much should certainly draw more attention to VH skates.

As a long time KOR user I am certainly a fan of skates based on speed skating technology that don't have a seperate outsole and use the zero negative space concept. So I certainly want those types of skates (VH and Mako) to be available when it's time to move on from my KOR stockpile. If the liberal use of lime green on the VH skates helps them gain more traction; great. Would that be my first choice of colour scheme? Hell no!

I'd put the over/under at the brand getting mentioned on tv at "happens once" and I'd pick the under. As much as we nerd out over brands and products and who's wearing what, the general hockey public doesn't care, and the announcers certainly aren't going to discuss how many Jets players are in what skate.

Even if the product isn't mentioned on TV, it may have some people notice them and do a google search for Byfuglien's skates. I'm not saying it'll have the impact of a Super Bowl ad, but it should result in a small bump in overall awareness.

They certainly attracted this photographer's attention...in their full glory:

Edit: Just noticed the extra coppers in the front tower. Even more concerted effort to reduce rivet loosening I imagine.

Edit: Just noticed the extra coppers in the front tower. Even more concerted effort to reduce rivet loosening I imagine.

Larger, stronger players tend to have extra coppers added. I have two in the front tower of my skates, previously I'd loosen the rivets in front tower after a while...I can only imagine an NHLer with much more ice time and significantly more speed.

Those look a lot better in action than I thought they would. Aside from the green, they seem more "polished" than other VH's I've seen on MSH.

Those look a lot better in action than I thought they would. Aside from the green, they seem more "polished" than other VH's I've seen on MSH.

Might be the trapizoid-like cut out on the sides is metallic instead of the usual black vibram rubber.

I definitely noticed them from the stands. Couldn't tell what they were, though. Does he also normally have a white stick with a blue blade? Kopitar checked it out during the warm-ups before the Skills Competition.