Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tamtamg

Hockey Goalie vs Left Wing Activity Comparison using a FitBit Surge

Finally got a good data set using my FitBit while playing goalie. Peak heart rate was around 165 with an average of 136 BPM. I spent more time in the "cardio" heart rate zone (48 mins) and had a higher calories burned per minute rate(11.2 Cal/Mins) than skating out.

RegANnq.png

Skating out as a left wing, peak heart rate was 175 with an average of heart rate of 120 BPM. You can definitely see the pattern of hard skating during my shifts and recoveries on the bench. The heart rate chart looks exactly like an HIIT (high intensity interval training) session. Both time spent in cardio zone (23 Min) and calories burned per minute (8.6 Cals/Min) were lower skating out. I'd be interested in how the data would look when comparing the different positions.

N5cEaqU.png

Anywho, thought it was an interesting comparison to share. Feel free to ask me any questions.

how does that for skating. Obviously it shows stuff but can it show how far you have gone in terms of strides or miles or whatnot. I am interesting in tracking that as my shin splints have left me unable to run for a long way. So I am trying to use the rink as my cardio but want to track the strides and the distance.

I've been thinking of trying this, but still waiting for Apple Watch so don't really want to spend the money. Somewhat considered a chest strap but if you're saying the Surge is pretty accurate for heart rate maybe I'll try it.

Skating doesn't really count alot with activity trackers. I am always astounded after two hours of roller hockey how little activity my Polar Loop registers ...

How do you like the Surge? I'm thinking of using it for running so I don't have to bring the phone with me to track. My work gives me 50% reimbursement on them so it makes the surge enticing. How do you think it would hold up to frequent hockey play?

I carry my iPhone 5s when I am out during a public skate and it does register that I can go a mile or two within a two-hour period so nothing really hard and no heart rate stuff. I have no idea what they base the distance on or how they know what my pace is for the step count. No matter, it's a fun little toy that I can use to convince myself to go more. Just wondering about the surge or the other ones. I got a birthday coming up. Might get myself a present.

how does that for skating. Obviously it shows stuff but can it show how far you have gone in terms of strides or miles or whatnot. I am interesting in tracking that as my shin splints have left me unable to run for a long way. So I am trying to use the rink as my cardio but want to track the strides and the distance.

It's crap for calculating distance when it comes to skating as it can't factor in glide.

I tried using a FitBit Zip while skating a few times. Didn't work out too well. I'm guessing the Surge would be better with GPS?

GPS doesn't work with in the rink, roof + insulation = 0 GPS signal. The distance traveled number is garbage when it comes to skating

How do you like the Surge? I'm thinking of using it for running so I don't have to bring the phone with me to track. My work gives me 50% reimbursement on them so it makes the surge enticing. How do you think it would hold up to frequent hockey play?

Given another chance, I'd get the Charge HR instead, I don't use any of the extra features that are offered with the Surge (GPS, Message Notification, Music Controls). Plus the charge is $100 cheaper.

It's crap for calculating distance when it comes to skating as it can't factor in glide.

GPS doesn't work with in the rink, roof + insulation = 0 GPS signal. The distance traveled number is garbage when it comes to skating

Given another chance, I'd get the Charge HR instead, I don't use any of the extra features that are offered with the Surge (GPS, Message Notification, Music Controls). Plus the charge is $100 cheaper.

prior to seeing this, i went with the Charge HR. its been pretty sweet, havent taken it on the ice with me yet however. it would be nice to have the surge for running, but i can bring the phone with me to track still, and since i do mostly trail running its nice to have the phone just in case anwyays.

Just to clarify, you need your phone together with the Charge HR, but not with the Surge? I mostly want something that does heart rate without needing my phone (so I can wear it while playing hockey), and the Apple Watch is still a few months away.

Just to clarify, you need your phone together with the Charge HR, but not with the Surge? I mostly want something that does heart rate without needing my phone (so I can wear it while playing hockey), and the Apple Watch is still a few months away.

no. The only thing I would need my phone for is GPS tracking when i run or bike. I have mounts on both of my bikes for holding my phone, so this is a non issue for this. I like to run specific routes every few weeks to check my progress, look at splits, etc. The surge has built in GPS and will track my routes for me, the charge does not.

Both will track HR solo, as well as steps, calories burned, distance, and floors climbed. Surge has some other features, but if your not interested in those features, save the hundo and go for the charge HR. To me carrying my phone with me on runs is not a big deal enough to pay the extra 100 (50$ after reimbursement, but it cuts into my annual max) and have the extra space on my wrist taken up. sometimes i run in low traffic areas so if something happens its nice to have the phone, and from what I understand, the phone and fitbit can interface through the app so I can see important stats on the fitbit anyways, thus removing my need for having the phone strapped to my upper arm.

also another benefit i see of the charge HR over the surge is the larger screen on the surge seems like it would be more of a target to break if impacted.

Using HR monitor data only, playing both goal and out as a skater, I tend to burn 2x the amount of calories and have a higher heart rate playing goal.

Shinny, my heart rate is the lowest for both positions - and very low calories burnt.

Playing div A/B hockey I get close to my goalie rate, but goal at any level seems to make me go off the charts.

Maybe it's my "oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, oh crap" mindset in net. Haha.

That's awesome info! Had a guy after adult hockey as I was sitting there pouring sweat and it was a half ice, get the other goalie a magazine to read sorta night, skater looks at me, is goalie really that hard? I mean we get breaks but seems like if it's not in your zone, you're going to be down there piddling a lot.

So, I didn't choke em. My psychiatrist would've been proud. I just said "yeah man, it's hot, bit hard I guess like doing 200 squats with some lunges and push ups thrown in, yeah it's hard. You should dress it just for the experience."

He declined the dressing opportunity but said he wasn't opposed to the idea completely. I just rolled my eyes sucked my camel Bak straw and started getting my gear off.

Now I have science! Okay well, at least some data to show the skaters who never had the rite of passage in net.

Just new to figure out how to install a computer type liquid cooling system into my helmet and chest protector along with my camel Bak and I'm set!