Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rychenerfamily

New skates

I am an adult and am in my third year of hockey. I did not grow up doing this so this is my only hockey experience. I play in an old timer league and help coach my son three times a week for mites. I have been skating on Easton EQ30's, and have been looking to upgrade my skates. I am trying to decide between Bauer Supreme 170's and the 160's. What would you recommend?

From what I've read, as a beginner-intermediate you don't want to wear a skate that's too stiff if you're still working on becoming a better skater. However if you've been playing at least a few years I wouldn't exactly consider you a beginner. I for sure wouldn't go for anything less than a 160 for hockey. And since you're not a complete beginner I would go for the 170. It's going to be better materials and probably worth the extra cash. If you don't want to spend too much you could also get the bauer one.7's on sale since it's the older model. They'll be about the same as the 170's and you could probably get them for about the same cost as the new 160's. I was previously wearing the one.7's and they are a solid skate.

Also are you sure that you should be in supremes. Make sure you try on all brands at the price point that you're looking at. Not everyone can fit in every type of skate. The most important thing is finding the skate that best fits the shape of your foot the best, and there's a lot of variability across brands and even lines within brands (I.e. Vapor vs. Supreme)

Agree with what all have said regarding proper fit of line above all, but if you've checked out all the skates you can and determined that Supreme is the best fit, I think that the 160 is sufficient for your uses. After recently comparing the 160 and 170 side by side I didn't see a real big difference in stiffness. Might change my mind to the 170 if you're a bigger skater (but then I'd recommend going up to the 180 or 190) or if you've had lacebite issues with thinner tongues (If the EQ30 tongues were OK, both 160 and 170 should be fine).

That said, if you can find a One.7 or One.8 in your size on clearance, you should get them. Both are better skates than the skates you're looking at.

Several sizes of One.7s also available on ebay for a song right now.

I'd probably disagree with Jonesy just on the fact that you've been playing at least a couple years. Like he said, it also depends a bit on weight, if you're a much smaller guy then 160's might be okay without breaking down too much, but i still think it's worth going up to the 170, at least what I've heard and from personal experience. For me personally I had the one.7 and that one didn't really last long, although I may be skating a bit more. 160 is pretty much the lowest tier skate you should use for hockey. Of course they make the 140 and 150 but I don't think those are recommended for any more than rec skating use. In fact most reputable hockey shops don't even sell anything below a 160, at least where I'm from in Vancouver.