Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Davideo

Skates like old CCM Tacks?

I'm looking for a new pair of skates and have an annoying situation. It's literally a 5 hour drive to the nearest hockey shop and so the usual, just go to your LHS is difficult. I grew up wearing CCM Tacks nearly exclusively and had great success with them. My most recent pair of 452s were probably purchased in about 2000. They lasted through 4 years of ACHA club hockey up to my current 6 hours a week of adult hockey. Last year I had to come to grips with the fact that they were falling apart and needed to be retired. I got a pair of CCM RBZ 80's. The fit seems pretty good, but naturally they are much stiffer. I typically tie my skates tight with wax laces and when doing that I would get incredible lace bite. I tried not lacing the top eyelet and the lace bite went away but I started getting bruising on the front on my ankles as that became the new point that bore the pressure when I flex forward. If I use non-wax laces the lace bite is bearable, but I also get slight heel slip enough that eventually I develop irritation and issues on my heel, particular after a tournament weekend or something like that.

So I'm looking for a new skate that fits like old Tacks and is not really stiff. Based on my research, it looks like a Reebok or Bauer Nexus might be a good choice. I believe I have a slightly wide foot, probably verified by the fact that the Tacks are a pretty good fit and when I last tried on Bauers 20 years ago standard width was too narrow. Can anyone share any advice or personal anecdotes regarding softer flex and fit like old Tacks?
Of note, budget is not really an issue, though I tend to get slightly cheaper skates as I never really felt there was too much need or value for me beyond an intermediate level skate. Durability is of importance to me as I'd like to delay buying new skates as long as possible. I'm 5'10" 155 lbs and am a pretty agressive and reasonably advanced skater.
Thanks.

Iv'e also used tacks in the past, D-width 852's and 1152's.. When the 1152's gave up, the tacks line of skates were allready discontinued, so i had to search for an alternative.. I tried pretty much everything that was available on the market back then, and to me, Easton skates in EE/W width was the absolute best fit..

If you like the feel of older tacks skates that had a bit softer flex, i really think you should look in to Easton AIR sbx or Ultra Lite sbx..

It's a older model skate, but usually there's a bunch of them on ebay.. Both are quality skates, stiff below the ankle, but softer above. They both have a thick, soft, really comfortable padding all around the ankle.. Thick felt tounge, soft grippy liner. And depending on which year they're from it's either fibreglass/composite outsole or a plastic one..

Most comfortable skate iv'e ever worn, next to my Easton z-airs..

Thanks for the info swede. I had not really considered used, though it may be something to consider. Stiff below the ankle, but softer above does sound good to me. I'm a little hesitant to consider used without better knowing my size as eBay returns are not always possible as opposed to buying new I can just ship them back for a different size. I'll certainly keep it in mind.

Never ment for you to buy used skates, there use to be a lot of brand new (old stock) Easton Sbx on ebay.. The fact that they dont offer the same stability above the ankle as other skates has been a deal breaker for many, (reason for old stock) but for strong skaters, with strong ankles they're great.

Regarding size, i was 8D in tacks, and 8EE/W in easton.. The newer Easton skates with composite shell fits a little tighter (shorter) out of the box, but the padding is thick and baking made them fit allmost like a traditional Easton skate lengthwise..

Hmmm, not really seeing many NOS Easton SBX/Ultra Lite's anymore... just a few of random (often junior sizes). I won't hold my breath on finding 9.5EE. I'll check on occasion until i find something better. Thanks.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and suggest the new Easton Mako II or M8.

Hadn't really looked into Easton but seems like it is a little less stiff and very moldable. I will have to do some more research.

I still wear Black Tacks. Of the skates I have tried on Reebok's were close to the same fit. The new CCM Ribcore's are being touted as a very comfortable skate. I think I read the word comfort 20 times when reading an interview with a CCM Rep.

The other skates that surprised me as being a very comfortable fit were the Bauer Supremes.

I understand your constraints but the only way to get a good fitting skate is to try on a bunch of different models/sizes.

I skated in late 90s 852s for years, loved those skates. Makos should be an easy transition for you.

I faced a similar issue a few months back and wound up in Reebok Ribcors. They fit most like my old Tacks right out of the box before baking, and yes, they're super comfortable six months in.

Although you're looking for something less stiff, the Reeboks might be worth a shot. Using the lace lock halfway up the eyelets + wax laces, I can really strap down the lower half of my foot and then tie the areas around my ankles however tight I like. I don't bother with the pump, although that's something else to play with to get a better heel lock.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I may just have to tough it out till the end of the season and can visit a shop while on vacation this summer. I was hoping someone with experience with the Bauer Nexus might chime in as Bauer's marketing material sounds interesting.

I too skated in 852's from the mid 90's and loved those skated. When I picked up hockey again this year I found a pair of old new stock Supreme One55's to be the best fit/most comfortable that I tried on. They've a lot stiffer than the 852's but I understand that the lower models in the current Supreme line are less stiff and might be just what you're after.

Good luck...its a minefield!

I faced a similar issue a few months back and wound up in Reebok Ribcors. They fit most like my old Tacks right out of the box before baking, and yes, they're super comfortable six months in.

Although you're looking for something less stiff, the Reeboks might be worth a shot. Using the lace lock halfway up the eyelets + wax laces, I can really strap down the lower half of my foot and then tie the areas around my ankles however tight I like. I don't bother with the pump, although that's something else to play with to get a better heel lock.

Do you realize that if you don't use your pump that you wont have ankle pads?

What's with players that buy Reebok "Pump" skates and don't use the pump?

3/4 of the players I know wearing "Pump" skates don't use the pump.

Just saying...

Do you realize that if you don't use your pump that you wont have ankle pads?

What's with players that buy Reebok "Pump" skates and don't use the pump?

3/4 of the players I know wearing "Pump" skates don't use the pump.

Just saying...

Someone more "in the know" will have to confirm, but I don't think this is correct. I think the pump sits between the ankle foams and the outside shell. When you inflate the bladders, it just pushes the ankle foams tighter around the achilles tendon.

Most new model skates are going to be a big adjustment for you. If you have a skate that works for you, such as the 452, it may be worth a look on ebay. Often you can find new in box or lightly used 10-20 year old skates that work just fine. Any older 52 series Tacks should give you a similar result. For more recent models, try ebay again or an online shop that carries new old stock, such as Perani's Hockey World, for CCM Vector U+Pro or Reebok 11K.

In the meanwhile, to avoid lace bite, try tying your RBZs with an outside-in lace pattern which will give you more wrap around your foot than the inside-out shoe lace pattern. Dropping the top eyelet is a good idea - keep doing that. You can also experiment with variable tightness of your laces. Typically looser bottom 3, tight next 3, then a little looser and tight just below your ankle joint, then a little looser up top. See clips below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D671VgevDcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAokL8Wmb9M

Someone more "in the know" will have to confirm, but I don't think this is correct. I think the pump sits between the ankle foams and the outside shell. When you inflate the bladders, it just pushes the ankle foams tighter around the achilles tendon.

I believe that's the case. Most people I know using Pumps, do it once when they are new and never touch them again.

15 years is a long time and even though the skates you have fit well I would get fitted to make sure your foot hasn't changed. It probably has and the skate you have has broken in to your foot and or you have adjusted to the skate. I'm not so sure an new identical pair would fit the same.

As you age your feet flatten out and get bigger. Get fitted at least at a running store to see what size your foot truly is.

I believe that's the case. Most people I know using Pumps, do it once when they are new and never touch them again.

Yep - I used the pump the first few times I skated in them and then realized they were fine without it. Out of the box they were a pretty good fit, and that got even better once they were baked. I don't know what else using the pump would add, at least for me.