Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

On 11/23/2016 at 5:22 PM, JAG said:

The rink I'm at doesn't have a pro shop or sharpener.  The woman who runs the adult league purchased one (mainly for her teenage son), and she brings it to the rink and asks for donations if you sharpen your skates on the machine.  I've used it 2 or 3 times.  I have to say I'm not that impressed.  I felt really awkward on my skates at first, and even after "getting used to it", it just didn't feel right.  I don't know if it is the machine, the hollow I selected, or maybe she didn't put the skates in the machine correctly (I can't imagine how... it seems pretty idiot proof).  

I'm going to be shipping my steel out to get profiled and sharpened by a professional.  If the sharpening is as good as the reviews say, I will definitely continue to ship them out.  If not, I guess I can get used to the Sparx sharpening.  

I'm going to assume the same.

Which hollow did you request she give you? Did she have that hollow available? Did she give you the hollow you requested? etc. 

The only other thing that would stop the sharpener from giving a complete sharpening is if you had uneven edges to begin with and we didn't completely reset the blade surface (didn't run enough cycles to wear down the high edge). The first time anyone jumps in and uses a Sparx, we always ask them to run the marker test. Cover the bottom part of the blade with a permanent marker and run cycles until it is all gone. Once it's gone, we can pretty much assume your edges are level (if the sharpener was aligned properly, and that's pretty tough to really mess up) and you have the desired hollow in the blade. That simple test will, for the most part, guarantee a proper sharpening. 

All of this will depend on your hollow preference, though. If you're not confident in which hollow you prefer, you could get the best 5/8" sharpening in the world and still not be happy if it's not enough/too much bite. 

Hope you don't have to resort to sharpening by mail, sounds extremely inconvenient :)

1 hour ago, stevebalchunas said:

I'm going to assume the same.

Which hollow did you request she give you? Did she have that hollow available? Did she give you the hollow you requested? etc. 

The only other thing that would stop the sharpener from giving a complete sharpening is if you had uneven edges to begin with and we didn't completely reset the blade surface (didn't run enough cycles to wear down the high edge). The first time anyone jumps in and uses a Sparx, we always ask them to run the marker test. Cover the bottom part of the blade with a permanent marker and run cycles until it is all gone. Once it's gone, we can pretty much assume your edges are level (if the sharpener was aligned properly, and that's pretty tough to really mess up) and you have the desired hollow in the blade. That simple test will, for the most part, guarantee a proper sharpening. 

All of this will depend on your hollow preference, though. If you're not confident in which hollow you prefer, you could get the best 5/8" sharpening in the world and still not be happy if it's not enough/too much bite. 

Hope you don't have to resort to sharpening by mail, sounds extremely inconvenient :)

She gave me the right hollow as i watched her put it in. 

She did not, however, do any sort of test to see if i had uneven edges. And I'll admit it is possible and that is why they felt so awkward. I'll mention this the next time i go in for a sharpen. 

1 hour ago, JAG said:

She gave me the right hollow as i watched her put it in. 

She did not, however, do any sort of test to see if i had uneven edges. And I'll admit it is possible and that is why they felt so awkward. I'll mention this the next time i go in for a sharpen. 

Not just a test of even edges, but if physically move the machine (as you mentioned) you have to re-check the machines alignment. Takes 30 seconds but is important. Also important is that the machine be transported with the plastic insert.

There could also be a couple othe less likely issues (your regular sharpener hasn't been giving you the right hollow, the previous sharpenings were so bad that a good one makes things feel wrong, etc.)

I just don't see this machine doing a poor job in perfect conditions, if that makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, weasel said:

Has anyone found a protective box to transport their Sparx in other than the Sparx box?

The Sparx box is just a pelican case so I'm sure you could just buy your own. Those things are expensive though so it wouldn't likely be all that much cheaper. 

They have a foam tray in their case that holds all your accessories... I wish they'd release a case just for that but I'll likely end up just making my own. I don't like having all my grinding rings, alignment tool, etc just sitting in a drawer.

16 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

There could also be a couple othe less likely issues (your regular sharpener hasn't been giving you the right hollow, the previous sharpenings were so bad that a good one makes things feel wrong, etc.)

I just don't see this machine doing a poor job in perfect conditions, if that makes sense. 

??????  A good sharpening cannot make things feel wrong.......

3 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

I think he is saying that the body/ skating technique adapts to messed-up-endess (bad sharpening)- like a - times a - = a + kind of thing.

So, when a guy whose skating and body has adapted to bad equipment (or, in this case, just the sharpening); and then all of a sudden the guy gets proper equipment, then he has to unlearn the bad habits/ maladaptations. I think I get it.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2016 at 8:56 AM, stevebalchunas said:

It is actually very convenient and can be cheaper than local sharpening if you have multiple runners.  Ever since I moved away from the Bay Area over five years ago, there isn't a place nearby that offers FBV.  Tried BFD and ROH at local rink, but didn't like either after skating on FBV for years.  Through this board, I've found multiple shops that offer a great sharpen by mail service.

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

I think he is saying that the body/ skating technique adapts to messed-up-endess (bad sharpening)- like a - times a - = a + kind of thing.

So, when a guy whose skating and body has adapted to bad equipment (or, in this case, just the sharpening); and then all of a sudden the guy gets proper equipment, then he has to unlearn the bad habits/ maladaptations. I think I get it.

Basically. Maybe you've gotten used to skating on something with really uneven edges. I did specify those to be much less likely issues, but still possible.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎22 at 1:46 PM, sparky1 said:

So, just curious, on the sharpening rings, I am seeing a 40 sharpening lifetime?

Does this still hold true, or do they last longer?

The wheels come with a microchip that talks to the machine so I don't think you can go any longer than they allow. I haven't used a full ring yet, but I believe the machine won't use a spent wheel.

Speaking with the owner of the company about the quality of sharpens near the end of the wheels life, he said they set the expiration before any loss of quality. So the first sharpen should feel the same as the 40th one.

• Like 1

I purchased a Husky 35"  25 gallon job box and it's like it was made for the Sparx and a little padding. It's no pelican case but it should do what I need it to do.

Internal measurements are:

31.5 long

18.5 wide

11.5 tall

If I knew how to upload pictures I could post a couple.

Edited by weasel

8 minutes ago, weasel said:

I purchased a Husky 35"  25 gallon job box and it's like it was made for the Sparx and a little padding. It's no pelican case but it should do what I need it to do.

Internal measurements are:

31.5 long

18.5 wide

11.5 tall

If I knew how to upload pictures I could post a couple.

You can't upload pictures. Use an external image hosting site like Imgur.com

On November 26, 2016 at 7:44 AM, DarkStar50 said:

I get a 5/8" at my local pro shop.  The sharpening isn't great, but it's all I can get conveniently.  

When I have time I travel an hour to have my buddy sharpen my skates with a 3/4".  The sharpening is out of this world.

The 3/4" feels sharper than the 5/8", with the benefit of increased glide.  I've gotten a 5/8" from my buddy, and I had trouble stopping/felt like I was skating in sand.  Way too much bite for me.

If I hadn't been an experienced skater I could have assumed that my buddy did a terrible job with the 5/8".  So, a good sharpening can in fact feel wrong if you've never had it right.

Some of the guys I skate with don't like my buddy sharpening their skates, because they are "too sharp" afterward.  Telling them to change their hollow is fruitless.  

Edited by Mattc555

Your local guy may not in fact actually be dressing the wheel at 5/8". That is a possibility. Is he honing/deburring the finished blade after it comes off the skate holder? How he does that step can make a difference, too. Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if your buddy an hour up the road is using a better quality finishing wheel than your local guy. That could be a factor in the difference you are feeling on ice. Too many unknown variables from one shop to the next at play here.

"The 3/4" feels sharper than the 5/8", with the benefit of increased glide.  I've gotten a 5/8" from my buddy, and I had trouble stopping/felt like I was skating in sand.  Way too much bite for me. " This makes sense from the difference when your buddy changes your hollow. Deeper hollow = more bite, blade sinks into ice more, less glide. Something doesn't add up from your local guy's set up though. JMHO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

Your local guy may not in fact actually be dressing the wheel at 5/8". That is a possibility. Is he honing/deburring the finished blade after it comes off the skate holder? How he does that step can make a difference, too. Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if your buddy an hour up the road is using a better quality finishing wheel than your local guy. That could be a factor in the difference you are feeling on ice. Too many unknown variables from one shop to the next at play here.

"The 3/4" feels sharper than the 5/8", with the benefit of increased glide.  I've gotten a 5/8" from my buddy, and I had trouble stopping/felt like I was skating in sand.  Way too much bite for me. " This makes sense from the difference when your buddy changes your hollow. Deeper hollow = more bite, blade sinks into ice more, less glide. Something doesn't add up from your local guy's set up though. JMHO.

Your post is the perfect sales pitch for this product.   The point in your comment that I underlined and bolded is the exact point that many people out in the world feel is the compelling reason to get the product.  If you have "that guy" around the corner that does things the way you want it consistently every time, then the product is redundant and a waste of money.  OTOH, not many people have "that guy" and the exact statement that "Too many unknown variables from one shop to the next at play here"  is exactly what sells the product to many. 

Same as I've already said... if you have a guy who is convenient, affordable, and does a good job I'd suggest the Sparx guys would likely be the first to tell you to stick with them. 

I've got "that guy" who does perfect sharpenings 15 minutes from my house but with 3 to 4 practices a week and games every weekend it makes it tough sometimes.

I skated on my Sparx edges tonight at my C league game and my edges felt great.

I think I'm going to enjoy the convenience.

Edited by weasel
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

The local is dressing the wheel at 5/8", and their equipment looks very similar to what my buddy uses.  They just don't typically do a great job.  This is a three sheet complex that I imagine services a ton of skates.

In my 25+ years skating experience I've found some people are better at sharpening skates than others.  It'd be great to have a consistent sharpening, but I'm not willing to spend Sparx money to get it.

I believe a shop's reputation stands on it's sharpeners. For the sharpeners it should be a pride thing. For the customers that translates to a confidence thing. The quality of work from other rinks can be horrendous. I see it every weekend with out of town travel hockey players skates. This is one aspect that Sparx can take advantage of.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2016 at 2:56 PM, howtohockey said:

The wheels come with a microchip that talks to the machine so I don't think you can go any longer than they allow. I haven't used a full ring yet, but I believe the machine won't use a spent wheel.

Speaking with the owner of the company about the quality of sharpens near the end of the wheels life, he said they set the expiration before any loss of quality. So the first sharpen should feel the same as the 40th one.

Thanks for the info!

So, this is just my opinion and perspective on this, but what makes a sparx sharpener better than a traditional sharpening machine (x-01, Wissotta, etc) with a shopvac rigged up to catch the sparks/metal filings?

There would be a learning curve to properly centering the blade in the holder and the proper technique for sharpening your skates without over-heating and warping the blades.

However, a sharpener like the X-01 is the same price as the sparx, but you would get much more life out of the sharpening wheels from what I would imagine (though I am not seeing any info on estimated wheel life). Which in turn, after getting some practice on old steel to make sure you perfect your technique would likely have a faster return on your investment.

The Sparx being $1000 for the unit, then $50 for 40 sharpening (potentially double if you do less passes), but you're still looking at paying $50 every 40-80 sharpenings, where I would imagine you could get more from a traditional machine.

This isn't me complaining about pricing by the way, just more of a curiosity of what makes the sparx better than doing it yourself with a traditional machine, other than convenience?

the Sparx is basically a fully contained unit. I've had a Wissota hooked up to a shopvac for years and while it helps keep the dust down it doesn't capture probably even half of the dust. the Sparx is catching virtually all of it. those of us who got in on the Kickstarter pricing got a HELLUVA deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shoeshine boy said:

the Sparx is basically a fully contained unit. I've had a Wissota hooked up to a shopvac for years and while it helps keep the dust down it doesn't capture probably even half of the dust. the Sparx is catching virtually all of it. those of us who got in on the Kickstarter pricing got a HELLUVA deal.

Agreed, if I hadn't got the kickstarter price I'm not sure I could justify it. At the kickstarter price it was a no-brainer. 

1 hour ago, sparky1 said:

Thanks for the info!

So, this is just my opinion and perspective on this, but what makes a sparx sharpener better than a traditional sharpening machine (x-01, Wissotta, etc) with a shopvac rigged up to catch the sparks/metal filings?

There would be a learning curve to properly centering the blade in the holder and the proper technique for sharpening your skates without over-heating and warping the blades.

However, a sharpener like the X-01 is the same price as the sparx, but you would get much more life out of the sharpening wheels from what I would imagine (though I am not seeing any info on estimated wheel life). Which in turn, after getting some practice on old steel to make sure you perfect your technique would likely have a faster return on your investment.

The Sparx being $1000 for the unit, then $50 for 40 sharpening (potentially double if you do less passes), but you're still looking at paying $50 every 40-80 sharpenings, where I would imagine you could get more from a traditional machine.

This isn't me complaining about pricing by the way, just more of a curiosity of what makes the sparx better than doing it yourself with a traditional machine, other than convenience?

Better as far as end result? That depends on your abilities. You should probably expect some pretty bad sharpenings for the first few months at least, which is totally fine if you're willing to put in the time. Much much longer to master it. Its also clearly more expensive. I mean, it's unlikely at the $899 price tag plus $50 for 40 sharpenings that you'll ever make up for the $7-8 per sharpen you get locally. 

So let's be real here... you buy this machine because a) you aren't interested in learning how to use a traditional machine and b) because you don't have somebody who is convenient/inexpensive/competent near you. If A and B apply to you, congrats, you're the target audience. If you have either A or B, then just stick to those.