Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

Just wanted to throw an observation out there; this may be common knowledge to those with experience.

I recently received the edge checker from Sparx.  I picked one up over the holiday since they offered a sale price.  I've used it on about 6 pairs of skates run through the Sparx and figured out something interesting.  On the first few skates, I was able to confirm that the Sparx was adjusted properly and the edges tested very close to perfect; off by no more than a single engraved line thickness on the edge checker (not a line-to-line "bar" as in like .06", but actual engraved line thickness as in .01-.02")  Then I sharpened my GF's skates and a pair of small child's skates for a friend.  I noticed that these were testing way off when using the edge checker.  I determined that it must be from the lower quality steel of the cheaper skates which isn't actually flat, even on the vertical face top-to-bottom.  When clamping the edge checker and holding it up to a bright light, I could see that the banking edge would not sit flush with the steel; there was a visible gap along it's face and the edge checker could be rocked side to side making the gap open and close top-to-bottom.  Flipping the edge checker 180-degrees to bank on the other side of the steel helped in one case, but not the other. 

1 hour ago, bootsmagee said:

Just wanted to throw an observation out there; this may be common knowledge to those with experience.

I recently received the edge checker from Sparx.  I picked one up over the holiday since they offered a sale price.  I've used it on about 6 pairs of skates run through the Sparx and figured out something interesting.  On the first few skates, I was able to confirm that the Sparx was adjusted properly and the edges tested very close to perfect; off by no more than a single engraved line thickness on the edge checker (not a line-to-line "bar" as in like .06", but actual engraved line thickness as in .01-.02")  Then I sharpened my GF's skates and a pair of small child's skates for a friend.  I noticed that these were testing way off when using the edge checker.  I determined that it must be from the lower quality steel of the cheaper skates which isn't actually flat, even on the vertical face top-to-bottom.  When clamping the edge checker and holding it up to a bright light, I could see that the banking edge would not sit flush with the steel; there was a visible gap along it's face and the edge checker could be rocked side to side making the gap open and close top-to-bottom.  Flipping the edge checker 180-degrees to bank on the other side of the steel helped in one case, but not the other. 

Yes, and some higher quality steel like polished CCM Hyperglide and Speedblade Black will exhibit the same issue - sidewall inconsistencies in the steel/coating will throw off the Sparx edge checker (and any edge checker that relies on a good flat sidewall in order to establish a 90 degree angle between the sidewall and edges to measure against).

I know they point this out in the manual/instructions for the edge checker, but who reads those?? :-)

Great feeling though when you get those edges dialed in to measure bang-on the line heel to toe and toe to heel isn't it? Everyone who has a machine should have an edge checker of some type that they trust so you're not just relying on the calibration tool that comes with the Sparx to get it 'close enough'.

colins

Just got my Sparx sharpener for Christmas. I've cut two pairs of skates at this point. I'll get my first go with the blades in tonight's game. From my little experience with it, I can say that it's very easy to setup. If you follow the instructions step-by-step and take your time, you'll get it setup without any issues. As for the cut quality, visually it all looks great. The steel also deburrs pretty easy. I'll know more on the performance side after tonight and can shed some more light later. So far, I'm quite impressed.

Little update here. Got a chance to skate last night after my first Sparx sharpening. I'm not going to comment on the whole 30+ years of experience sharpening vs. the Sparx, as it seems like we've concluded that debate somewhat. What I can say is compared to the cuts I've received for the last two and half years from my LHS, the Sparx was right on par with my previous sharpenings. Edges seemed consistent and felt very reliable. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the machine.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kadayo said:

Does anyone know what happened to the cross grind ring for the Sparx? I can't find it on the website. Is it being discontinued?

They're probably out of stock at the moment.  I believe they get an overload of ring orders and have a hard time keeping up sometimes.  Give them a shout and see what the stock status is.

The reason I asked was because it was pulled from the site and not just marked out of stock like the edge checker and air filter are at this time. I will send them an email.

It has been taken off the site for now while our R&D team pursues some design changes. We hope to have it back up in 4-6 weeks. From Sparx.

Sharpened these blades last night. Worst I've seen so far. These were apparently done on a DupliSkate machine at a local Canadian Tire store. I don't blame the machine, obviously there must be some adjustments on it the kids who operate it aren't familiar with or just don't care about.

Here's what they looked like when I got them.

bXZoqG3.jpg

I also learned that the Sparx is compatible with Disney skates. Ground breaking...

0SHdSs4.jpg

colins

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Good god. Did you use the xgrind ring to fix that? Or just a ton of regular ring passes?

I don't have a xgrind ring, but after about 7 or 8 passes it was pretty respectable:

2G8Dv6o.jpg

These were inexpensive skates just being used for some outdoor casual family skating. Still though, I don't know if you could trust turning or changing direction at all on those edges as they came out of the Canadian Tire sharpening.

colins

On 1/19/2017 at 3:20 PM, kadayo said:

It has been taken off the site for now while our R&D team pursues some design changes. We hope to have it back up in 4-6 weeks. From Sparx.

should those of us that have one be concerned about using it?

Hi All - Russ here

We sent out a note last night to all Sparx customers regarding the X-Grind ring.  Bottom line - follow the updated Maintenance Instructions in the Maintenance section of the Sparx Operating Manual.

Here's also a link to a similar conversation on our forum regarding the X-Grind Ring (includes a link to the email we sent last night if you didn't get it).

https://www.sparxhockey.com/pages/sparx-sharpening-forum#!/general:cross-cut-wheel

Regards,

Russ

• Like 1

I received my Sparx this week and so far I am very happy with it. The setup was very easy and the build quality of the unit seems top notch. My son and I both skated this morning on fresh sharpenings from it and everything felt great. 

How many passes do you guys usually do when switching hollows? I want to give 3/4" a try as compared to my normal 5/8" and just trying to figure out if 10 passes is necessary or if you guys find less will get it done. I will probably do the marker test to be sure but figured I'd ask anyway. 

Question for you sparx users or sharpening gurus out there. I have marked my blade where the sparx sharpener has put an edge on the blade. Is the edge far up enough on the toe or should I go higher? Thanks for the help  

FAC76D75-C958-42F9-A62D-54A9D77CB6A9_zps

Edited by kadayo

2 hours ago, kadayo said:

Question for you sparx users or sharpening gurus out there. I have marked my blade where the sparx sharpener has put an edge on the blade. Is the edge far up enough on the toe or should I go higher? Thanks for the help  

FAC76D75-C958-42F9-A62D-54A9D77CB6A9_zps

You are well covered with that result kadayo. 

colins

10 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Too high on the heel. I'd say half that at the least. 

The height on the heel is a result of the height setting for the toe. Should it be lower on the toe as well? Is having the edge go to that height on the heel a big problem? Thanks again.