Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

I’m a sparx owner. I have to 2nd the comments on the poor hockey shop sharpening. Yes there are some conscientious shop owners who do a great job sharpening, including my local shop owner. However, they aren’t available 24/7 and the quality of the kid subbing in was crap. This is especially a problem here in the south. My 14yo can sharpen his skates anytime with perfect results and I don’t have to plan on getting to the rink 30min early for a sharpening only to be told there is a backlog of skates. This doesn’t even address the issue with changing the profile over time- which is a definite problem with all manual sharpening. I am sure an expert sharpener can do as good (maybe better?) job than Sparx. However, on a consistency basis, Sparx wins every time. I had my son’s Bantam team at my house and once they saw it work, they all wanted to try it (including the dads) and to a man, everyone was convinced it was the best sharpening they had ever skated on- even though every kid did his own for the first time. The money is an issue- I’m a long way from “paying” for this in $ saved, but the convenience factor makes up for this in spades. I’ll continue to support Sparx and recommend them to anyone around. 

On 11/7/2017 at 9:42 AM, Skate Guru said:

I am glad your sparx unit is working great. I am sure it fits your needs perfectly. My experience was different.

According to sparx each line on their edge checker is .002". They also say that anything within .002" is acceptable and does not require any adjustment. They go on to say that 2 to 3 clicks will move the alignment approximately .001" (2 to 3 and approximately are not good terms for precision work). They also say a bent blade may prevent the sharpener from putting level edges on the blade. You are correct and I was wrong. The spark does have a fine adjustment. My assumption that the guide rail in this machine must have been bent is probably correct.

I was comparing the sparx edge checker ($178.63) to the Blademaster BR100 pro square ($99.95). I agree the sparx one is too expensive, but not because the quality is so good. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

For a Blademaster BR100 pro edge checker each line is .001". For a Blademaster SH6000 pro skate holder, each click (front and back) is also .001". It looks like the adjustment is not as fine as sparx, however from my experience the Blademaster adjustments are much more accurate. No pair of skates leaves my shop that is not perfect (>.001"). The sparx unit I tested in my shop could not achieve this.

2 increments on the jig is 1 line on the gauge*

Is there any way to test the alignment of these machines without the alignment ring/tool?  (or without an edge checker for that matter)

I bought one of these used for a great price, but the seller forgot to include the alignment ring.  It's supposed to be on its way, but it's been 8 days and still no show.  Plus they didn't install the travel brace when they shipped it.  I ran it on old steel and the edges seemed even and level.  I lost an edge in my last game, and it's really going to suck to have to pay $10 to have a sharpening when I have this machine sitting there.

I don't think there's any way to do it accurately without the alignment ring or an edge checker.  You could run your passes and then balance your skate on a glass table; your skate blade should be perpendicular to the glass surface.  It's still not a very accurate check, but it would potentially show if it's way out.  Need to get that alignment ring, or a replacement one.

1 hour ago, psulion22 said:

Is there any way to test the alignment of these machines without the alignment ring/tool?  (or without an edge checker for that matter)

I bought one of these used for a great price, but the seller forgot to include the alignment ring.  It's supposed to be on its way, but it's been 8 days and still no show.  Plus they didn't install the travel brace when they shipped it.  I ran it on old steel and the edges seemed even and level.  I lost an edge in my last game, and it's really going to suck to have to pay $10 to have a sharpening when I have this machine sitting there.

You can buy a replacement alignment ring here: https://www.sparxhockey.com/collections/sharpener-accessories/products/alignment-ring

Do you have the tool - the magnifier piece? If so, maybe you could make a small mark on your grinding ring with a sharpie at the same offset of the alignment ring mark. That would get you close in a pinch. Still, there's no substitute for an edge checker, to really dial it in. You should really get one.

I can measure my alignment ring when I get home tonight to tell you where to make the mark if you want.

colins

Just now, colins said:

You can buy a replacement alignment ring here: https://www.sparxhockey.com/collections/sharpener-accessories/products/alignment-ring

Do you have the tool - the magnifier piece? If so, maybe you could make a small mark on your grinding ring with a sharpie at the same offset of the alignment ring mark. That would get you close in a pinch. Still, there's no substitute for an edge checker, to really dial it in. You should really get one.

I can measure my alignment ring when I get home tonight to tell you where to make the mark if you want.

colins

Ya, I know I can.  But the seller had it and said they would send it, so why spend $40 on a ring?  That was on 11/16.

I do have the tool.  So if you could give me the measurement I actually have a spare grinding ring I can use this time in a pinch.  Hopefully it will come tomorrow and it won't matter as I don't need to skate until Sunday.  The seller said they sent it last Wednesday (6 days after they said they would) and the unit took 8 days to get to me because the seller used the awful UPS Mail Innovations service which doubles the time because of the handoff.  So with Thanksgiving, and BF/CM volume, it could take longer to get to me this time.

7 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Ya, I know I can.  But the seller had it and said they would send it, so why spend $40 on a ring?  That was on 11/16.

I do have the tool.  So if you could give me the measurement I actually have a spare grinding ring I can use this time in a pinch.  Hopefully it will come tomorrow and it won't matter as I don't need to skate until Sunday.  The seller said they sent it last Wednesday (6 days after they said they would) and the unit took 8 days to get to me because the seller used the awful UPS Mail Innovations service which doubles the time because of the handoff.  So with Thanksgiving, and BF/CM volume, it could take longer to get to me this time.

Ok, I sized up the alignment ring and a 1/2 sharpening ring. One flaw in this idea is that the offset of where the alignment ring hits the mating surface on the threaded holder is different than the offset of the grinding ring. They are not molded from the same form - the alignment ring is all metal. It appears to be the same height as a grinding ring, but the inner hub on it is shallower than on a grinding ring.

So - I don't have any tools to accurately measure the difference. But by closely eyeballing it, I can say that the alignment groove on the alignment ring is going to correspond very very closely with the very end of the stone material on the grinding ring. So if you eyeball it in the magnifying tool, you need to be aligned to the boundary of the edge of the stone material and the black plastic on the grinding ring. If that's what you are seeing now, you are probably good. If not, I'd wait for the alignment ring to show up before sharpening your skates.

colins

Edited by colins

1 hour ago, colins said:

Ok, I sized up the alignment ring and a 1/2 sharpening ring. One flaw in this idea is that the offset of where the alignment ring hits the mating surface on the threaded holder is different than the offset of the grinding ring. They are not molded from the same form - the alignment ring is all metal. It appears to be the same height as a grinding ring, but the inner hub on it is shallower than on a grinding ring.

So - I don't have any tools to accurately measure the difference. But by closely eyeballing it, I can say that the alignment groove on the alignment ring is going to correspond very very closely with the very end of the stone material on the grinding ring. So if you eyeball it in the magnifying tool, you need to be aligned to the boundary of the edge of the stone material and the black plastic on the grinding ring. If that's what you are seeing now, you are probably good. If not, I'd wait for the alignment ring to show up before sharpening your skates.

colins

Awesome. Thanks. I slid the carrier all the way over to the adjustment tool (it won’t let you run the alignment function with a grinding ring in) and the indicator on the tool lines up pretty much exactly at the crease between the stone and hub. 

I also used the alignment tool to magnify the hollow of the steel and it looked pretty even. The grinding marks went all the way to both edges. 

But after sharpening, I stood the steel up on the granite counter and put a speed square against it. The steel is definitely off by maybe 1/32” or less. It has a slight gap at the top. I tried adjusting the carriage as much as 4 clicks on the knob and it didn’t seem to make much difference. I gave up after that because it’s a waste of steel and ring at 4 passes each test.

ill just have to wait for the alignment ring to be sure. 

I'm not a fan of automatic sharpeners .there is alot of plastic in the machine.    Skate sharpening is easy to learn.  

I can get you a professional quality sharpener for  $ 1850 with travel case ,edge checker, honing stone,took kit . It weighs 65 pounds in the case . The thing to do is have your close hockey friends go in on it . 8 friends go in on it and it pays for itself fast . And when you sharpen your own it only takes a couple of passes to sharpen them .  I use the machine as a professional  SSM2 

2 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

I'm not a fan of automatic sharpeners .there is alot of plastic in the machine.    Skate sharpening is easy to learn.  

I can get you a professional quality sharpener for  $ 1850 with travel case ,edge checker, honing stone,took kit . It weighs 65 pounds in the case . The thing to do is have your close hockey friends go in on it . 8 friends go in on it and it pays for itself fast . And when you sharpen your own it only takes a couple of passes to sharpen them .  I use the machine as a professional  SSM2 

I’ll stick with the Sparx, thanks!

My school's hockey program bought one and they seem to really like the product - consistent, quick, portable sharpenings, with little knowledge or experience required? Great!

Unfortunately, I can't use it because I got cut from the team, due to my skating ability :(

7 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

My school's hockey program bought one and they seem to really like the product - consistent, quick, portable sharpenings, with little knowledge or experience required? Great!

Unfortunately, I can't use it because I got cut from the team, due to my skating ability :(

Do you love the game?  If yes sit down with the coach and (1) ask him or her what you need to work on . (2) then ask to practice with the team.  And put the work in on and off the ice ; always in all ways.  

Just now, Playmakersedge said:

Do you love the game?  If yes sit down with the coach and (1) ask him or her what you need to work on . (2) then ask to practice with the team.  And put the work in on and off the ice ; always in all ways.  

Of course I love the game, it means a lot to me and it's taught me many a lesson, but I got into the sport late and am certainly not the most athletic guy, but obviously that is most certainly not an excuse.

The coaches talk to everyone who comes to tryouts 1:1 after the last session and they told me my puck skills and "Hockey IQ" were good enough to land me on JV, but my skating was going to get me hurt. I plan to go in tomorrow to see if there's anything I can do to work out and practice with the team because I don't have another place to play all winter. I have a good understanding of what needs to improve (keeping my head up, backward crossovers, tight edgework, and most definitely flat out speed), and I think with some structure and intensity I can get myself to Varsity by next year.

If it doesn't pan out, the rowing program I play (is play the right word?) for has an intense winter workout program to gear everyone up for the spring season (we've gone to nationals the last few years), and there's no ice time involved, but I will come out faster, stronger, and more agile than I was, and there's always public skate.

10 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

Of course I love the game, it means a lot to me and it's taught me many a lesson, but I got into the sport late and am certainly not the most athletic guy, but obviously that is most certainly not an excuse.

The coaches talk to everyone who comes to tryouts 1:1 after the last session and they told me my puck skills and "Hockey IQ" were good enough to land me on JV, but my skating was going to get me hurt. I plan to go in tomorrow to see if there's anything I can do to work out and practice with the team because I don't have another place to play all winter. I have a good understanding of what needs to improve (keeping my head up, backward crossovers, tight edgework, and most definitely flat out speed), and I think with some structure and intensity I can get myself to Varsity by next year.

If it doesn't pan out, the rowing program I play (is play the right word?) for has an intense winter workout program to gear everyone up for the spring season (we've gone to nationals the last few years), and there's no ice time involved, but I will come out faster, stronger, and more agile than I was, and there's always public skate.

Can you explain WTF “varsity” means?

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

Can you explain WTF “varsity” means?

Our school has two hockey teams - one for the super good kids who play all the other really good schools in the area and consistently goes to the state tournament (varsity), and the team for kids who aren't quite good enough yet but they get experience playing in the coaches system and get to have their growth monitored (Junior Varsity / JV). It's a pretty similar dynamic to the NHL and AHL if that makes sense.

I also apologize for hijacking the thread.

14 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

Our school has two hockey teams - one for the super good kids who play all the other really good schools in the area and consistently goes to the state tournament (varsity), and the team for kids who aren't quite good enough yet but they get experience playing in the coaches system and get to have their growth monitored (Junior Varsity / JV). It's a pretty similar dynamic to the NHL and AHL if that makes sense.

I also apologize for hijacking the thread.

Gotcha. Just a word I’ve heard a million times but had no idea what it meant. Thanks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

I'm in the Albany N.Y. area and teach power skating and skills and off ice training.  You have to public skate ever chance you get .  Take power skating.  And work on flexibility, agility, strength, do squats start with a 100 twice a day in a month 200 twice a day  , another month 300 twice a day.   Calf raises  , vertical leaps,  push ups, pull ups, work on your core muscles. Create a routine. Make it fun .

55 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

I'm in the Albany N.Y. area and teach power skating and skills and off ice training.  You have to public skate ever chance you get .  Take power skating.  And work on flexibility, agility, strength, do squats start with a 100 twice a day in a month 200 twice a day  , another month 300 twice a day.   Calf raises  , vertical leaps,  push ups, pull ups, work on your core muscles. Create a routine. Make it fun .

I actually have family in the Albany area, and I did do a private lesson or two up there a few years ago, so it's possible that I've actually seen you before.

Howdy,

3 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Have at it .  If it works for you ; use it until it doesn't.  

I had a hard time deciding to order the Sparx vs. a traditional sharpener.

What ended up convincing me was that when I compared one set of steel on my skates to another set, the profile was fairly different.  And that correlated to a difference I felt on the ice.  They both started the same.  The only real difference is one had been sharpened a little more.

A machine that provides a consistent pressure and speed, optimized for good results, seems better to me than a system that relies on human technique.  The guys sharpening my skates all have WAY more experience than I will ever get sharpening my own stuff.  They act in conscientious manners.  I had serious doubts that my results would be equal, let alone better.

The Sparx is going to be awful if you need it to do something it hasn't been programmed or designed to do.  Its going to suck if a proprietary part breaks and Sparx is out of business or just has bad support.  Its going to be awful if they go under and you can no longer get their proprietary grinding rings.

But if you stay within the Sparx "window", my take on it is that you will get at a minimum an equal sharpening to what a human can do and in many cases, better.

YMMV.

Mark