Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

1 hour ago, Leif said:

That's a very cryptic statement. Could you explain?

4 hours ago, mickz said:

Is there a product these "Youtube stars" don't like?  Haven't found one yet.

Professional grade vs consumer grade unit.

Well I imagine that they aren't taking cash out of pocket to demonstrate these products.. And they may even be getting paid to show the product.          The guy that did this video all the video I see he does is about product reviews or pitching. 

The hockey movement person or people.  Jeremy brings alot of teaching along with the product  introduction. And he gives a true opinion of the products .And the guy has skills ,has wheels and hands . He can actually test the performance of a premium skate . I. Like how he goes to camps and clinics and shows power skating. The power skating people inviting him are a bit circus like with the hydra blading, jumping over the stick as skating, demontrating movement at speed.  To teach it ,the best way is to do it slow  break it down into steps.  And it can't be taught in groups more then three ,because corrections need to be made as the movement is being done .      Jeremy puts out a vibe of cincerity. 

As far as automatic sharpening machines, I don't get the appeal  . You can do a better job with a manual machine, lower operation costs.  And if you are mechanically inclined enough to change a toilet seat you have the capacity to learn how to do a decent job playing around with a pair of cheapo skates a few evenings.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

As far as automatic sharpening machines, I don't get the appeal  . You can do a better job with a manual machine, lower operation costs. 

Could you elaborate on why the manual machine will give you the potential to do a better job vs. a sharpening on the Sparx?  I see this comment often in these conversations, but no one offers any specifics.

31 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

As far as automatic sharpening machines, I don't get the appeal  . You can do a better job with a manual machine, lower operation costs.  And if you are mechanically inclined enough to change a toilet seat you have the capacity to learn how to do a decent job playing around with a pair of cheapo skates a few evenings.   

There are different fits for different people. The appeal to me (also not handy) is not having to learn a new skill in my busy life. So unless someone can sell me a machine , set it up at my house. Then walk me through how to do it. It’s not an endeavour I’m willing to take on. 

45 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

I run my Sparx in my rec room. I don't so much as need to put my coat on to sharpen my boys skates as they are packing up their bags to go to practice. No manual machine I'm aware of can match that convenience.

I don't have an unfinished area in my basement to deal with the mess that a manual machine creates. If I bought one it would have to be out in my garage. That's a major part of the appeal for me - I did consider an SPB850 like my buddy has, and I'd have no concerns about learning to operate it.

colins

1 minute ago, bootsmagee said:

Could you elaborate on why the manual machine will give you the potential to do a better job vs. a sharpening on the Sparx?  I see this comment often in these conversations, but no one offers any specifics.

Sure : when you manually sharpen a skate ,the operator can feel the blade on the wheel. The sensation of what you are going over, like the difference between running your hand over skin that's perfect or skin that has been weathered .   This gives you the message to the brain how to react to that . You can feel a blad that has a slight valley in one section. You can feel how different areas of the blade are cutting. That metal looks the same ,but there are slight variants in the make up you can compensate for; and it' just intuitive to do.  Then there the hollow with a manual machine you can put any hollow from 5/16 to 13/16"   .  Then there are the wheels, you have an abundance of grit,hardness, the make up of the wheel meaning ceramic % .  The speed going over the wheel you have complet control over.  With experience then you can modify a blade as you would like  .The other is the surface of the wheel .You can have the same wheel surface until the wheel is to small in diameter.  The auto sharpener essentially looses abrasiveness as it does multiple sharpening  ,the 20th skate is being done with a different wheel surface then the 1st pair . The manual machine you redress the wheel and as far as it' compound it's fresh .  These things make a huge difference. And most of the mechanics of doing the job are going to be intuitive from feeling the skate go over the wheel. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback.  Before I go on here, I am NOT a manual skate sharpener operator which is why I am always curious about the truth behind "manual can do better." 

I can definitely understand the draw toward manual for someone who wants to learn the true intricacies of sharpening and the craft it becomes with practice.  Learning the "feel" you're describing is probably an enjoyable and rewarding process as the craft is learned over time with different steels and sharpening obstacles that come along.  

That said, the appeal toward the Sparx is that it really does an excellent job and eradicates all of this manual feedback and craftsmanship.  That probably sounds like nails on a chalkboard to someone who has fallen in love with the craft of manual skate sharpening, but the truth is that some people have fallen in love with the game of hockey and their focus is on that.  They want a consistent feel from their skates throughout the year and the sad truth is that many many shops and sharpening services do not offer this (at their own fault) and the Sparx makes attaining it as easy as pie for anyone willing to put up the money. 

Sparx offers a great range of hollows.  The wheels are diamond abrasive coated steel.  They do not last forever, but they also do not change shape during their life cycle.  The one great thing about the Sparx that manual sharpening doesn't offer is that the Sparx does not alter the profile throughout the skate blade's life.  On the same tune, it cannot give you a custom profile either, which is where manual sharpening would shine in comparison.  But once your custom profile is set, it would be there unchanged for the life of the blade.  This is a major appeal that isn't often discussed.

Have you had a chance to get your hands on a Sparx?  If not, I would highly suggest you check one out if at all possible.  Not to sway you from manual sharpening, but just to get a real-world feel for what it actually offers.  

Edited by bootsmagee
  • Like 2

I may not be getting one after all. I am in Canada but looking to ship to a US address to save some $. But it doesn’t look like they will honour the warranty if I do that. 

I emailed with them and basically got forwarded to their warranty page I already read. Kind of left a sour taste in my mouth as I was pretty excited to get one. 

Edited by ryanmonty

1 hour ago, ryanmonty said:

I may not be getting one after all. I am in Canada but looking to ship to a US address to save some $. But it doesn’t look like they will honour the warranty if I do that. 

I emailed with them and basically got forwarded to their warranty page I already read. Kind of left a sour taste in my mouth as I was pretty excited to get one. 

Why the sour taste? What should they have done if you were concerned about the warranty? 

43 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Why the sour taste? What should they have done if you were concerned about the warranty? 

Answer my question more directly opposed To referring me to a link. as I was clearly confused by the wording on their policy and that is why I emailed them in the first place. 

In my industry you do what you can to make a sale. I don’t believe in a take it or leave it approach. Just seems silly to me to not honour a warranty over something as simple as an address. May there is something I’m unaware of. But if that’s how they do business, then that’s up to them. That part doesn’t leave sour taste BTW. I respect their decision, I just don’t agree with it. 

15 minutes ago, ryanmonty said:

Answer my question more directly opposed To referring me to a link. as I was clearly confused by the wording on their policy and that is why I emailed them in the first place. 

In my industry you do what you can to make a sale. I don’t believe in a take it or leave it approach. Just seems silly to me to not honour a warranty over something as simple as an address. May there is something I’m unaware of. But if that’s how they do business, then that’s up to them. That part doesn’t leave sour taste BTW. I respect their decision, I just don’t agree with it. 

Okay then. 

20 hours ago, x-track said:

again ...good point ...what I`d like the mostto know ......how does fire compare to real ..., good sharpened FBV !?

I've been on a FBV for years and recently switched to a Sparx Fire. I went from an 85/100 FBV to a 90/75 FBV then to a 3/4 Fire. I also had a few 3/4 ROH mixed in there. For the most part, it was all the same guy doing the sharpening, so the quality was spot on.

Glide wise the Fire is pretty close to the 90/75 FBV. Where I noticed the difference was the bite. The Fire didn't seem to have the same level of bite the FBV did. It wasn't bad though and I do actually prefer the Fire to the standard ROH. Given the option I'd go FBV, but good FBV's are getting harder and harder to find.

I hated the Blademaster flat bottom, the Fire is definitely better than that.

Edited by stick9

4 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

I get what you're saying about "feeling the blade/wheel" when using a manual machine but it doesn't mean that you can't tell these things when an automatic machine is sharpening the skates.

I have both a Wissota and a Sparx. yes, when I sharpened on the Wissota I could feel when hitting a bad spot but with my Sparx I can hear the difference in the blade. I never simply set it and leave the room. I set the skate in and either pack my bag, tidy up the basement or sometimes just stand there and watch but I'm always listening to how the wheel is hitting the blade.

in the year I've had my Sparx I have been VERY impressed with it's ease of use and consistency of quality even edges.

Edited by shoeshine boy

9 minutes ago, shoeshine boy said:

with my Sparx I can hear the difference in the blade. I never simply set it and leave the room. I set the skate in and either pack my bag, tidy up the basement or sometimes just stand there and watch but I'm always listening to how the wheel is hitting the blade.

As a goalie, with the amount of damage I do from hitting the posts, I'm always interested/amused by how much noise it makes when it hits those spots! 

5 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

Well I imagine that they aren't taking cash out of pocket to demonstrate these products.. And they may even be getting paid to show the product.          The guy that did this video all the video I see he does is about product reviews or pitching. 

The hockey movement person or people.  Jeremy brings alot of teaching along with the product  introduction. And he gives a true opinion of the products .And the guy has skills ,has wheels and hands . He can actually test the performance of a premium skate . I. Like how he goes to camps and clinics and shows power skating. The power skating people inviting him are a bit circus like with the hydra blading, jumping over the stick as skating, demontrating movement at speed.  To teach it ,the best way is to do it slow  break it down into steps.  And it can't be taught in groups more then three ,because corrections need to be made as the movement is being done .      Jeremy puts out a vibe of cincerity. 

To answer the last point, I was going to buy a Wissota, but it can't be kept in my unheated  garage. So it'd have to be indoors, and given that it is big, and messy, that is out of the question. So an automated machine is the only solution for me. And I like the fact that it can give a blade a few passes without me having to think in a minute or two. 

Regarding Chris Kibui, I think you are unfair on him. I've watched Jeremy at Bauer behaving like a kid in a sweet shop asking no critical questions. Chris is I think no worse. His review of the Sparx and ProSharp Home machines is informative. And yes I do like Jeremy and Ken's videos, excellent stuff. But Chris is okay too, a bit wordy at times, but it's free tuition for some of us. Regarding sincerity, well it might be a case of patriotism perhaps, we tend to favour someone with our own accent/dialect. Just a thought. 

Hi ryanmonty,

Thanks for your notes/questions on our Warranty Policy.  We just had a team meeting here at Sparx Hockey to review your concerns.  Our policy had stated "Warranty is only valid in the country to which the Product was shipped at time of purchase."

We have revised the policy to state "Warranty is only valid in the United States and Canada".  We now honor our Warranty for Canadian customers regardless of the original shipping address of the sharpener purchase.  You may have been living in the USA at the time of purchase and decided to move to Canada... the way things are going these days we need all the friends we can get in Canada ;)

https://www.sparxhockey.com/pages/warranties

Background - The limitation in the previous Warranty policy was a protection for us in cases where customers were located in regions where we currently don't have a service bureau (we will be expanding internationally very soon).  Despite our current North American shipping restriction, Sparx sharpeners have already made their way to many countries in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Australia/NZ.  For these locations it would be impractical to cover return shipping, which is included in our policy, on a warranty claim. 

I hope this clears things up and helps you with your decision.  As always, thanks for your interest in Sparx Hockey products.  Happy Holidays!

Cheers,
Russ
CEO, Sparx Hockey

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bootsmagee said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Before I go on here, I am NOT a manual skate sharpener operator which is why I am always curious about the truth behind "manual can do better." 

I can definitely understand the draw toward manual for someone who wants to learn the true intricacies of sharpening and the craft it becomes with practice.  Learning the "feel" you're describing is probably an enjoyable and rewarding process as the craft is learned over time with different steels and sharpening obstacles that come along.  

That said, the appeal toward the Sparx is that it really does an excellent job and eradicates all of this manual feedback and craftsmanship.  That probably sounds like nails on a chalkboard to someone who has falling in love with the craft of manual skate sharpening, but the truth is that some people have fallen in love with the game of hockey and their focus is on that.  They want a consistent feel from their skates throughout the year and the sad truth is that many many shops and sharpening services do not offer this (at their own fault) and the Sparx makes attaining it as easy as pie for anyone willing to put up the money. 

Sparx offers a great range of hollows.  The wheels are diamond abrasive coated steel.  They do not last forever, but they also do not change shape during their life cycle.  The one great thing about the Sparx that manual sharpening doesn't offer is that the Sparx does not alter the profile throughout the skate blade's life.  On the same tune, it cannot give you a custom profile either, which is where manual sharpening would shine in comparison.  But once your custom profile is set, it would be there unchanged for the life of the blade.  This is a major appeal that isn't often discussed.

Have you had a chance to get your hands on a Sparx?  If not, I would highly suggest you check one out if at all possible.  Not to sway you from manual sharpening, but just to get a real-world feel for what it actually offers.  

You are welcome,    see the wheels on the automatic machines are metal with abrasive on it .  When these wheels need to be replaced it is because the abrasive is all gone.  So this is indicative that each time that wheel is used it is losing the abrasive  material.   So after it does 30 sharpenings it has less abrasive material. 

The manual wheel is replaced when the diameter is at the discard size. The abrasive surface is still as affective as it was when it was installed.    

I am hearing alot of people wanting the automatic home machines because they can't get a good job done or travel to get a good job done or convenience.       This thought is not for everyone:  if there is a need in the area maybe someone should fill it . 

The mess ,it's not with a vacuum cleaner connected.   Also the small pro machines are portable;  do the skates at the rink , maybe make a couple bucks.  Or a team or an organization can buy a machine . 

No I have never used or handled the fire machine.  I did look it over ,and can see how it's done and see the potential points of having issues. This coming from an engineering, technical sort of mind.  I made my first sharpener after bringing home a free skate holder from the rink and scavenging things from neighborhood trash as a kid . 

Also the automatic machine for home hasn't been in service long enough to prove standing up to time .     Another question:  if your skates are starting to get dull but useable  and your team has a game two towns over and you see a lhs on the way to the rink so you think I should get them sharpened.  You walk in and you see one of the commercial auto sharpeners on the counter ; would you hand your skates over or skate on what you have ?     The cagone, dupliskate, etc . I think most would use the skates as they are (?) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leif said:

To answer the last point, I was going to buy a Wissota, but it can't be kept in my unheated  garage. So it'd have to be indoors, and given that it is big, and messy, that is out of the question. So an automated machine is the only solution for me. And I like the fact that it can give a blade a few passes without me having to think in a minute or two. 

Regarding Chris Kibui, I think you are unfair on him. I've watched Jeremy at Bauer behaving like a kid in a sweet shop asking no critical questions. Chris is I think no worse. His review of the Sparx and ProSharp Home machines is informative. And yes I do like Jeremy and Ken's videos, excellent stuff. But Chris is okay too, a bit wordy at times, but it's free tuition for some of us. Regarding sincerity, well it might be a case of patriotism perhaps, we tend to favour someone with our own accent/dialect. Just a thought. 

You may have a point with dialect.    

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

You are welcome,    see the wheels on the automatic machines are metal with abrasive on it .  When these wheels need to be replaced it is because the abrasive is all gone.  So this is indicative that each time that wheel is used it is losing the abrasive  material.   So after it does 30 sharpenings it has less abrasive material. 

The manual wheel is replaced when the diameter is at the discard size. The abrasive surface is still as affective as it was when it was installed.    

I am hearing alot of people wanting the automatic home machines because they can't get a good job done or travel to get a good job done or convenience.       This thought is not for everyone:  if there is a need in the area maybe someone should fill it . 

The mess ,it's not with a vacuum cleaner connected.   Also the small pro machines are portable;  do the skates at the rink , maybe make a couple bucks.  Or a team or an organization can buy a machine . 

No I have never used or handled the fire machine.  I did look it over ,and can see how it's done and see the potential points of having issues. This coming from an engineering, technical sort of mind.  I made my first sharpener after bringing home a free skate holder from the rink and scavenging things from neighborhood trash as a kid . 

Also the automatic machine for home hasn't been in service long enough to prove standing up to time .     Another question:  if your skates are starting to get dull but useable  and your team has a game two towns over and you see a lhs on the way to the rink so you think I should get them sharpened.  You walk in and you see one of the commercial auto sharpeners on the counter ; would you hand your skates over or skate on what you have ?     The cagone, dupliskate, etc . I think most would use the skates as they are (?) 

Okay, we get it. You think your sharpener is better. Let’s go ahead and leave this thread to discussion about the Sparx.

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

As a goalie, with the amount of damage I do from hitting the posts, I'm always interested/amused by how much noise it makes when it hits those spots! 

Slice a plastic soda bottle and cut it slice it and put it on the posts 

19 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Okay, we get it. You think your sharpener is better. Let’s go ahead and leave this thread to discussion about the Sparx.

yes, lets talk about if someone wants to buy one, they should message me for a referral code to save $ and get me free stuff.

4 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

Slice a plastic soda bottle and cut it slice it and put it on the posts 

until it breaks off after a shot, and someone doesn't see it on the ice, and their skate hits it, and then they fly head first into the boards.

Having actually, and not "theoretically" skated on a pair of skates that were cut by a demo sparx unit which had logged many sharpenings, including at least 12 right before mine,  no I would have no issues giving my skates to the LHS some towns over if I saw they were using one. My only issue with the Sparx is preference of the FBV cut over Fire cut, but in terms of quality, and consistency, id trust the Sparx over a lot of local sharpening jobs i've had. I am extremely lucky to have a shop within 30 minutes of me that produces at least 95% favorable results in my time using them, so the unit is not for me.

and to your point of someone in an area filling a need, this product fills a need that no other product or person can, creating an easy, out of the box experience that can save its end user time in not having to drive elsewhere, which to some people, is worth more than money, and space, as not everyone has room to setup a commercial unit, and attach it to a vacuum. The Sparx is about 50% larger than my printer.