Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

Howdy,

1 hour ago, JR Boucicaut said:

It absolutely is.  It ends up being the highest profit margin in the store once the machine's paid off.

Crazy.  And thanks for the real info, I was hoping you'd jump in.  :-)

My guess had been that labor cost alone on a sharpening would make it break even at best, but my "time to sharpen" guess must be too high.

Mark

10 hours ago, colins said:

For a while I was wondering if I was going to need to get my money back from Kickstarter escrow. But they did ship.

I just wanted to mention real quick - there is no such thing as ‘Kickstarter escrow’. When you back something on Kickstarter you aren’t buying a product, you are investing in an idea. Sometimes the product never happens and your money is gone. If they offer refunds, that’s their choice. They certainly aren’t required to.

I just wanted to mention that because I often see comments on delayed projects that day things like “it’s been 6 months, I want my money back” from people who clearly don’t understand Kickstarter and it drives me bananas.

On 12/9/2017 at 1:11 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I just wanted to mention real quick - there is no such thing as ‘Kickstarter escrow’. When you back something on Kickstarter you aren’t buying a product, you are investing in an idea. Sometimes the product never happens and your money is gone. If they offer refunds, that’s their choice. They certainly aren’t required to.

I just wanted to mention that because I often see comments on delayed projects that day things like “it’s been 6 months, I want my money back” from people who clearly don’t understand Kickstarter and it drives me bananas.

That's a good point - and correct. Once Sparx hit their funding goal, there was no getting money back. Either they shipped product or flamed out. If they hadn't hit their funding goal, then nobody would have been charged the pledge amounts. I had forgotten that aspect of the Kickstarter model -so far Sparx is the only Kickstarter I've been part of.

Thx,

colins

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, colins said:

That's a good point - and correct. Once Sparx hit their funding goal, there was no getting money back. Either they shipped product or flamed out. If they hadn't hit their funding goal, then nobody would have been charged the pledge amounts. I had forgotten that aspect of the Kickstarter model -so far Sparx is the only Kickstarter I've been part of.

Thx,

colins

Is your only reward the product coming to fruition and receiving it; or do you receive others for believing and helping get the product off and running? 

33 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

Is your only reward the product coming to fruition and receiving it; or do you receive others for believing and helping get the product off and running? 

The reward is the product and whatever other perks depending on how much you pledge.

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2017 at 1:42 PM, stick9 said:

I've been on a FBV for years and recently switched to a Sparx Fire. I went from an 85/100 FBV to a 90/75 FBV then to a 3/4 Fire. I also had a few 3/4 ROH mixed in there. For the most part, it was all the same guy doing the sharpening, so the quality was spot on.

Glide wise the Fire is pretty close to the 90/75 FBV. Where I noticed the difference was the bite. The Fire didn't seem to have the same level of bite the FBV did. It wasn't bad though and I do actually prefer the Fire to the standard ROH. Given the option I'd go FBV, but good FBV's are getting harder and harder to find.

I hated the Blademaster flat bottom, the Fire is definitely better than that.

I'll agree with that.  Fire 1/2 has similar glide, but far less bite than FBV 95/75 or 100/50.  The FBV may have more bite than the typical 1/2 ROH, so it may not be an exact comparison.  I think I'll need Fire 3/8" to get the bite I'm used to.

9 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I'll agree with that.  Fire 1/2 has similar glide, but far less bite than FBV 95/75 or 100/50.  The FBV may have more bite than the typical 1/2 ROH, so it may not be an exact comparison.  I think I'll need Fire 3/8" to get the bite I'm used to.

I have to buy a spinner set up or make the rig and just buy the spinner. From being away from hockey for years to heal alot has happened.  I heard about the fbv and thought oh boy another gimmick, but I'm hearing all good about it .  When I played I skated on 3/4 . Now 5/8  

On 12/11/2017 at 10:59 AM, psulion22 said:

Yeah, I am moving down to a 5/8th's Fire. The bite just wasn't there, especially on harder ice. Would like it to feel like that 85/100 FBV. That worked year round on pretty much every ice condition. 

I've had a Sparx since the Kickstarter as well, it's been good for me. I sharpen my skates and my son's skates. I coach his squirt team, but I haven't mentioned that we have a sharpener to anyone.

This last weekend, my son's team played before the varsity team played (they were hosting a tournament), so we hung out to watch them. One of the other teams in the tournament happened to have a Sparx in the locker room hallway, so I asked them how they liked it. They said it was great, they can get a quick touch-up on everyone's skates before games or between periods as needed. They would endorse it highly.

Just thought I'd mention it, I hadn't seen a team use one before. Pretty cool that they can bring it with and sharpen skates like that on the road. My son has his first travel tournament this year (first year of squirts), so we'll be bringing the Sparx along. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, benson said:

I've had a Sparx since the Kickstarter as well, it's been good for me. I sharpen my skates and my son's skates. I coach his squirt team, but I haven't mentioned that we have a sharpener to anyone.

This last weekend, my son's team played before the varsity team played (they were hosting a tournament), so we hung out to watch them. One of the other teams in the tournament happened to have a Sparx in the locker room hallway, so I asked them how they liked it. They said it was great, they can get a quick touch-up on everyone's skates before games or between periods as needed. They would endorse it highly.

Just thought I'd mention it, I hadn't seen a team use one before. Pretty cool that they can bring it with and sharpen skates like that on the road. My son has his first travel tournament this year (first year of squirts), so we'll be bringing the Sparx along. 

Could you please further elaborate on that? How long? How many sharpenings? How many additionally purchased grinding wheels? Any issues from a operational/maintenance standpoint? Thanks.

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

I think it's getting hard now to find a big tournament where you won't see a Sparx in the hallway. I saw the same thing last year at Bantam and Midget tournaments like the Monctonian (Moncton, New Brunswick) and Icejam (Halifax, Nova Scotia).

The portability, ease of use and lack of mess make it a no-brainer for travel teams that have budget for such things.

Edited by colins
fixed typo "non-brainer"
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Could you please further elaborate on that? How long? How many sharpenings? How many additionally purchased grinding wheels? Any issues from a operational/maintenance standpoint? Thanks.

I've had it since May 2016. When I got it, I ordered 3 extra grinding rings, 2 different sizes (1/2" and 5/8" FIRE) and an extra in the main one I use (5/8"). The 1/2" I got for my son, the 5/8" for myself, and the FIRE to give it a try. Initially I was sharpening at my usual intervals, roughly every week or 5-6 hours of ice time. I've alternated between just doing a couple passes every couple of hours of ice, to waiting a week and doing a normal sharpening (4 passes). As to the number of rings I've used, I'm on the second round of rings in each size (1/2" and 5/8"). I don't use the FIRE often, I have a second set of blades that I sharpen with that, but just don't use them often. And I may switch my son to 5/8", we tried his last sharpening in that and he liked it.

No issues at all. Easy to use, and we've liked the sharpenings we've gotten with it. Based on the manual, I've probably got to change the air filter soon, but haven't had the warning light turn on yet. I will probably order one with my next ring order just to make sure I have it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, benson said:

I've had it since May 2016. When I got it, I ordered 3 extra grinding rings, 2 different sizes (1/2" and 5/8" FIRE) and an extra in the main one I use (5/8"). The 1/2" I got for my son, the 5/8" for myself, and the FIRE to give it a try. Initially I was sharpening at my usual intervals, roughly every week or 5-6 hours of ice time. I've alternated between just doing a couple passes every couple of hours of ice, to waiting a week and doing a normal sharpening (4 passes). As to the number of rings I've used, I'm on the second round of rings in each size (1/2" and 5/8"). I don't use the FIRE often, I have a second set of blades that I sharpen with that, but just don't use them often. And I may switch my son to 5/8", we tried his last sharpening in that and he liked it.

No issues at all. Easy to use, and we've liked the sharpenings we've gotten with it. Based on the manual, I've probably got to change the air filter soon, but haven't had the warning light turn on yet. I will probably order one with my next ring order just to make sure I have it.

I tried moving myself and my two boys from 1/2 to 5/8th as well. Depending on the ice conditions, it was either fine or not enough bite if the ice was particularly hard. I tried 9/16's and it seems ideal for us for any ice condition.

We've been skating on 9/16th all season (since September).

colins

21 hours ago, colins said:

I think it's getting hard now to find a big tournament where you won't see a Sparx in the hallway. I saw the same thing last year at Bantam and Midget tournaments like the Monctonian (Moncton, New Brunswick) and Icejam (Halifax, Nova Scotia).

The portability, ease of use and lack of mess make it a no-brainer for travel teams that have budget for such things.

You are probably right. I'm in Minnesota, and you can barely throw a rock without hitting a place that will sharpen skates though. For our local tournaments (as in the ones hosted by the association my son plays in), you can get your skates sharpened right down the street at the local skate shop (which also does a dropbox at the community center if you have the time for it). Many rinks or community centers also sharpen, though our community center does not, the other rink in town does (and a lot of people swear by their sharpening). Same for all the neighboring communities. Because every youth association hosts a tournament around here, it's pretty easy to find a shop that sharpens skates around, or you are going home and can use your local shop, rink, or home sharpener.

For the out of town tournaments, I absolutely see the appeal. Who knows what the local shops are like or where they are. My son's team is going to Fargo for the big Squirt International. There are 80 teams there for the B1 tournament, so having our own sharpener will be nice. Not having to wait for the local shops, or guessing as to quality will be worth the money.

Our high school team hadn't hosted a tournament before, they usually participate in a couple, but this is the first year of that tournament we watched. They had 2 local teams and 2 teams from up north (they are calling it the North-South Classic or something like that). It was the other local team that had the Sparx that I saw.

8 minutes ago, colins said:

I tried moving myself and my two boys from 1/2 to 5/8th as well. Depending on the ice conditions, it was either fine or not enough bite if the ice was particularly hard. I tried 9/16's and it seems ideal for us for any ice condition.

colins

That could be a good compromise. I may just order a 9/16" next order too. That's the only downside to Sparx, to try a new hollow, I have to spend $50, if I don't like it, it'll just sit there. If it was something more out there, I'd try it from a local sharpener first ($6 to try it is much more manageable). 9/16" though, it won't sit there, worst case, I'll just use it when one of the others wears out.

1 minute ago, benson said:

That's the only downside to Sparx, to try a new hollow, I have to spend $50, if I don't like it, it'll just sit there.

If you buy a 9/16" and don't like it, I'll buy it from you.  I'm down to my last 9/16 anyway, and will have to buy a backup in the next few months.

3 hours ago, benson said:

Thanks for the insight!

Just ordered my dust cover, and two grinding rings I got for free from people using my referral code :) I chose my standard 1/2" radius and also got a 3/8" radius to give that a shot. I've been meaning to try something with a bit more bite for stronger pushes. 

Funny side note - they never considered that somebody might have more than one referral code at a time, so I had to have them add the second ring to the order manually! LOL

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, colins said:

colins

9/16 is good . Have you ever taken power skating?  I find it gives players a more positive edge.    Nice that you are all skating on the same hollow. 

I would like to help anyone considering these two products.  Full disclaimer - I am the CEO of Sparx and a MSH member.  Sparx and ProSharp Home are BOTH good products.  That said, there is some misinformation in this thread that I hope I can clear up.

You cannot directly compare Sparx to ProSharp on the amount of sharpenings per wheel that each company advertises the life of their wheels at.

Reasons:

1.  The two machines remove different amounts of material per pass.  Sparx removes more material per pass than Home.

2.  The two companies advertise different numbers of cycles required per sharpening.  Sparx says you can sharpen 40 pair of skates with 4 cycles on each skate where ProSharp says they can sharpen skates with only 1 cycle per skate.

These are not apples to apples numbers so you cannot compare the two numbers directly.

How do you compare Sparx vs Home?  Remove the same amount of material from a piece of skate steel, with both machines.  Then compare the cost of the grinding wheel consumed by each machine to remove the same amount of material.

We have done this head-to-head test of the two products and Sparx comes out cheaper than Home for the same amount of material removed.  Please keep this in mind when considering the two products.

When comparing Sparx to ProSharp Home you should consider the above and then also consider other details/differences between the two sharpeners.  Each of the features below is exclusive to Sparx.

1.  Sparx has a patented alignment system that eliminates the trial and error alignment steps that makes skate sharpening difficult.

2.  Sparx has an on-board dust collection system which traps the metal dust generated by the sharpening process

3.  Sparx has a safety glass front door which allows the user to safely watch the sharpening as it is happening.

4.  Sparx offer the FIRE (flat bottom) profile which has been proven over the last few years to be one of the best flat bottom profiles out there.  We have a youtube video explaining the FIRE profile if you want to learn more about it.

5.  Sparx has electronic lock-out safety covers which cover the open slot around the skate reducing operator exposure to moving parts.  Important if your sharpening is stored in a house where others may have access to the sharpener.

6.  Sparx has numerous accessories like a loose blade holder which make sharpening Bauer Lightspeed Edge Removable steel, without the skate, really easy.

Lastly, Sparx is used by thousands and thousands of customers all over North America and we also have hundreds of pro shops and teams using Sparx (see our "Find a Sparx Near Me" link below).   We highly encourage hockey players everywhere to visit their LHS to get a Sparx Sharpening.  If you don't see a Sparx Shop near you on the map please reach out to help@sparxhockey.com for help finding one as new shops are being added every day.

https://www.sparxhockey.com/pages/skate-sharpening-near-me

We also have a bunch of NHL teams and hockey skating coaches using Sparx now with their athletes.  We have many videos on our YouTube channel where you can check out interviews with some high end Sparx users.  Lastly, our roster of NHL player-owners is also growing every day...

I hope this extra information helped.

Thanks,
Russ

The above post was moved out of the ProSharp thread, located here:

There was a bit too much promotion of the Sparx in the post, but it also had some good points regarding comparing the two units so we didn't want to remove it completely. So, we either edit the post or we move it. I chose to move it.

• Thanks 1

I received my Sparx machine a week ago. My 14 year old uses 5/8 and I skate on 3/4. I really like the ease of changing the grinding wheels. I am looking for a carry/storage case for it. I really don't want to spend $399 for Sparx's case. I plan on getting a case that is the same size as the box my machine came in. I am planning on using the interior packing material that came in the shipping box. Anyone have any thoughts on this or already found a case? FYI...this is my first post, just joined this group.