Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

6 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

In other words, the home machine is only worth a single skating use per sharpening ?

Constantly sharpening your skates after single use would seem to directly effect the longevity/life of your steel ?

Expense of using your ring constantly leading to quicker replacement ?

Wasn't going to respond, but since you quoted me, I figured I'd respond.

It's not any more different from a NHLer getting a couple of passes between periods.  Both home machines on the market can be used to establish a hollow, but the key to longevity (and optimal performance) is to refresh the steel constantly and not let major trauma develop.  

It's actually the ones doing full grinds all the time trying to remove major nicks who are replacing their rings more often.  

• Like 3

Having owned this unit for two weeks, I can say that it is incredible. Being able to do one cycle before every skate means that I have sharp edges, and I really notice it on the ice, I get a better grip and control. And I don't have to worry about dinging an edge on exposed concrete in the rink, as I can touch it up at home. 

Has anyone changed their radius of hollow as a result of using a Sparx? I do wonder if I could go to a 1/2" from the 7/16" I currently use. Also, does anyone use different hollows for hockey and public skating? My hockey gear weighs a tonne, which means much more grip with a given hollow, so I could go to a shallower hollow for hockey sessions. 

58 minutes ago, Leif said:

Has anyone changed their radius of hollow as a result of using a Sparx? I do wonder if I could go to a 1/2" from the 7/16" I currently use. Also, does anyone use different hollows for hockey and public skating? My hockey gear weighs a tonne, which means much more grip with a given hollow, so I could go to a shallower hollow for hockey sessions. 

I've never thought of the gear weight affecting the hollow, but usually I go sharper for colder like ODRs (11/16" to 5/8"). 

But it makes sense, I once carried my son (35~40 lbs) around during free skate, and I could def feel slip around the corners.

Maybe it's because the Sparx doesn't apply as much pressure as a human on a regular machine would, but I find the bite of my Sparx lacking compared to a manual sharpening at the same hollow.  When I have to buy a new ring, I'm going to step up to 7/16 or 3/8 from 1/2 to get a little more bite.

Edited by psulion22

4 hours ago, Leif said:

I sort of change my radius. in the winter I skate on 3/8" but when it starts to get hot here in GA in the summer I drop down to 1/2" since the ice is so much softer.

I’m surprised people go from 1/2” to 3/8”, that’s a big change. Good point about the ice, a few months back I tried 7/16” as a 1/2” grind meant my blades were slipping sideways on the hard winter ice, and I much prefer it. A year back I accidentally tried 7/16” and couldn’t handle it, I think my skating technique was not up to using it then. 

3 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Maybe it's because the Sparx doesn't apply as much pressure as a human on a regular machine would, but I find the bite of my Sparx lacking compared to a manual sharpening at the same hollow.  When I have to buy a new ring, I'm going to step up to 7/16 or 3/8 from 1/2 to get a little more bite.

It might be that you are not getting a true 1/2” but a bit deeper when you get them done by hand, perhaps due to the way they dress the stone. In my case the Sparx 7/16” compares with a manual sharpen, in fact the last manual sharpen felt a bit dull so maybe it was actually 1/2”. 

1 minute ago, Leif said:

I’m surprised people go from 1/2” to 3/8”, that’s a big change.

It was noticeable but in a good way so it wasn't a big deal. If it was a problem I could have just got a 7/16 ring and tried that instead. 

4 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I'm more surprised at the amount of people skating on such deep hollows.

Keep in mind I’m in goalie skates. My player skates are 5/8.

Just now, IPv6Freely said:

Keep in mind I’m in goalie skates. My player skates are 5/8.

Yeah, I figured as much for you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, psulion22 said:

16 hours ago, Leif said:

I’m surprised people go from 1/2” to 3/8”, that’s a big change. Good point about the ice, a few months back I tried 7/16” as a 1/2” grind meant my blades were slipping sideways on the hard winter ice, and I much prefer it. A year back I accidentally tried 7/16” and couldn’t handle it, I think my skating technique was not up to using it then. 

It might be that you are not getting a true 1/2” but a bit deeper when you get them done by hand, perhaps due to the way they dress the stone. In my case the Sparx 7/16” compares with a manual sharpen, in fact the last manual sharpen felt a bit dull so maybe it was actually 1/2”. 

I agree with @psulion22 I work part-time in a shop and sharpen my own skates we use the spinner system to dress the wheel.  I have been skating at 5/8ths for probably about 10 years.  A friend of mine has a sparx and I was curious so I had him cut my skates at 5/8ths. I was there when he did it we did 8 passes on each skate.  When I tried them out they didn't feel like they had the same bite as when I do them on the blademaster.  The best way to describe what I felt was a 5/8th sharpening that had been skated on once or twice.  For me when I no longer have access to a sharpener i'll probably buy the blackstone portable machine.  This was mainly a test to see if I would buy a sparx over the blackstone. 

Edited by strosedefence34
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, stick9 said:

I'm more surprised at the amount of people skating on such deep hollows.

I don't think 1/2" is all that deep.

2 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

I agree with @psulion22 I work part-time in a shop and sharpen my own skates we use the spinner system to dress the wheel.  I have been skating at 5/8ths for probably about 10 years.  A friend of mine has a sparx and I was curious so I had him cut my skates at 5/8ths. I was there when he did it we did 8 passes on each skate.  When I tried them out they didn't feel like they had the same bite as when I do them on the blademaster.  The best way to describe what I felt was a 5/8th sharpening that had been skated on once or twice.  For me when I no longer have access to a sharpener i'll probably buy the blackstone portable machine.  This was mainly a test to see if I would buy a sparx over the blackstone. 

Yes, exactly this.  The edges are sharp, but they bite like they've been dulled a little. It's an easy fix by just adjusting the hollow for it.  The convenience of running a pass or two on each skate while I'm packing my bag is just too much to trade for a manual sharpener.

• Like 1

1/2” is not deep, but 3/8” is deep in my view. 

Curious about the edges. One person I know does a manual sharpen that grips more than sharpens of the same depth from elsewhere. Quite why I know not. The 7/16” on my Sparx is similar to that from my LHS. Is there perhaps a difference in technique between sharpeners, assuming correct alignment of the blade relative to the wheel?

3 hours ago, Leif said:

1/2” is not deep, but 3/8” is deep in my view. 

Curious about the edges. One person I know does a manual sharpen that grips more than sharpens of the same depth from elsewhere. Quite why I know not. The 7/16” on my Sparx is similar to that from my LHS. Is there perhaps a difference in technique between sharpeners, assuming correct alignment of the blade relative to the wheel?

1/2" is pretty deep honestly.......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

1/2" is pretty deep honestly.......

Seriously? That’s pretty much the default hollow for hockey skates in this country. Go to a LHS and ask for a sharpening, and you’ll get that or 5/8”, unless they are knowledgeable then they might match it to your weight. I know plenty of people on 3/8”, a few on 7/16” including me, lots on 1/2” and some on 5/8”. I’ve never met someone on shallower than 5/8”.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 8:09 PM, Leif said:

Seriously? That’s pretty much the default hollow for hockey skates in this country. Go to a LHS and ask for a sharpening, and you’ll get that or 5/8”, unless they are knowledgeable then they might match it to your weight. I know plenty of people on 3/8”, a few on 7/16” including me, lots on 1/2” and some on 5/8”. I’ve never met someone on shallower than 5/8”.

My shop is 5/8ths or less. Most of my minor midget and up players are going with less. And there all pretty good players.  I have maybe 10 out of all my customers at 1/2 only a couple goalies at 3/8ths  

If the sharpen is level the pressure is even and consistent you dont need to ho so sharp. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

My shop is 5/8ths or less. Most of my minor midget and up players are going with less. And there all pretty good players.  I have maybe 10 out of all my customers at 1/2 only a couple goalies at 3/8ths  

If the sharpen is level the pressure is even and consistent you dont need to ho so sharp. 

But you're looking at it from someone who knows what they're doing and wants the best for their skaters.

The truth is that most places don't want to go the extra mile, don't want to educate the customer and want to maximize their sharpening wheel's lifespan...so they offer a house cut which is typically 1/2" in the US.

We have an area skating coach who swears by putting his students on 3/8ths to teach proper edge work.  I get it for the real little kids since they aren't heavy enough to get the bite they need out of a shallower hollow.  Where I have the problem is when his high school aged students ask for it I can only think of how much speed they are loosing by digging too much into the ice.  

Our shops "standard" is 5/8ths. We give that to people when we ask them how they want their skates done and they respond "I don't know? The regular?" I typically try to educate them even if they aren't listening.  Tell them I am giving them 5/8ths and if they want it sharper next time come in and ask for 1/2.  We have the ability to do 9/16 but I prefer to give them the option to experiment.

I've been skating on 3/8" from the beginning. at my size it's probably not what I should be using but it's what I'm used to. it's only been the last 2 summers that I've switched to 1/2" when the ice starts to get soft.

14 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

We have an area skating coach who swears by putting his students on 3/8ths to teach proper edge work.  I get it for the real little kids since they aren't heavy enough to get the bite they need out of a shallower hollow.  Where I have the problem is when his high school aged students ask for it I can only think of how much speed they are loosing by digging too much into the ice.  

Our shops "standard" is 5/8ths. We give that to people when we ask them how they want their skates done and they respond "I don't know? The regular?" I typically try to educate them even if they aren't listening.  Tell them I am giving them 5/8ths and if they want it sharper next time come in and ask for 1/2.  We have the ability to do 9/16 but I prefer to give them the option to experiment.

I do the same with my customers.  If they're not sure what hollow to get I'll use 5/8" as a starting point.  The next time they come in for a sharpening I'll ask them for feedback and make the necessary adjustments, if needed.

Edited by mickz
  • Like 1

And that's the proper way.  But the vast majority of shops just want to sharpen your skates with the least amount of effort.

1/2" is easy because it's also easy to remember.  Some people don't even know what it means and probably figure there's such a thing as a full.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1