Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

7 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I skate 5-7 times weekly, about 10-14 hour total, and sharpen my skates once a week with a single pass. I do however skate on a very flat hollow compared to most others. If I change my hollow, as some rinks have harder ice than others, I usually do two passes. 

I could sharpen less often, and I am slowly increasing the time between sharpens. But it’s so easy to shove a skate in and do one pass. 🙂 I have a 1/2” hollow. 

20 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I mean it’s simple math... if you use an above average number of passes per skate then you will get a below average number of passes per ring.

So saying it’s a fact that the ring only gets 25 pairs is nonsense. You might have only gotten that but I’m not sure how you connect the lines between you doing more passes than normal and the ring only making it to 60 pairs in perfect conditions. How would you know unless you were doing the average?

So, bottom line here is that the average is 60 pairs. There’s no caveat to that. If half the people get 25 and half the people get 95 then guess what the average of that is? #3rdgrademaths

If this is really going to continue to be a problem for you maybe you should just get it over with and sue them. Well all be waiting to see how that goes.

show me one guy who sharpens all his teammates skates and gets 95 skate sharpenings out of his first grinding ring. maybe it will get better with my 2nd ring. who knows. If that's the case,  I'll probably shut up😂

btw I'm not running a business so I don't charge for sharpening their skates. I'm only getting payed in beer...

16 hours ago, Giltis said:

A couple of thoughts

1 - I think it's generally understood that these numbers are estimates only. Especially if you are sharpening skates with heavy nicks, and massively uneven edges. I think even my local sharpener has a surcharge for rusty blades and the such. Same discrepancy would apply if you're just sharpening JR blades vs SR length blades, and akin to complaining that your new car only gets 15 mpg when you drive the way you drive, even though the EPA rating is much higher.

2- That flat bottom sharpening video is an eye opener, and makes me realize why some of my friends could not skate on Flat bottom sharpens.

Also as an aside, it's become a huge pet peeve of mine when people say "Fake News" for things, it's lazy and dismissive to an actual conversation.

Sharpening 40, 60, whatever different pair of skates using your first grinding ring is "fake news". As soon as you are introducing any variables you aren't going to reach that mileage. sorry for hurting some liberal feelings.

Edited by lfc26
  • Facepalm 6

Ok, I'll say it. You aren't experienced enough to make these claims as fact. You've had the machine what a month and you're telling people who've had them for years that your experience is fact and that no one can yield better/different results. 

And once again. That magic number of 40-60 pairs of skates is under normal use. Everyone here agrees, you are working outside the realm of normal use.

I suspect your results will change as 1) you become more experienced with the machine and 2) start sharpening skates in better condition.

Advanced issue found

43 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I suspect your results will change as 1) you become more experienced with the machine and 2) start sharpening skates in better condition.

I think that is the key point here. These skates are in terrible condition from these player's lack of sharpening which is sucking up more cycles than usual. Our store charges a set fee for sharpening but if you bring in some skate with steel that looks like you've been running around a parking lot with your skates on we are going to charge you extra to get them back into a usable condition. It's not unrealistic for shops to charge $15-$35 or more if the steel requires substantial time, cross grinding, and many times is not even and has to be matched again due to people with poor experience doing the sharpenings. 

I was recently in Chicago for work and went into a pretty well known local store and they have no problem charging customers $25+ for sharpening if it looks like you've been doing this to your steel:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lfc26 said:

Sharpening 40, 60, whatever different pair of skates using your first grinding ring is "fake news". As soon as you are introducing any variables you aren't going to reach that mileage. sorry for hurting some liberal feelings.

This is easily one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen said on this website, and ho boy have we seen some silly things over the years.

And with that, it’s time to move on. We generally avoid spreading misinformation here. Misinformation that somehow manages to bring politics into it? Definitely a no-go.

Move on, people. Don’t feed trolls. 

4 hours ago, pgeorgan said:

Averaging 6 cycles per skate is absurd.

What kinds of skates/steel are people bringing in? Is everyone exclusively playing pond hockey?

Honestly, this sounds like an economic issue. Taxes in the EU are high, there are import/export dynamics out of Sparx control, etc... 

On a normal distribution, it sounds like your usage is at/near the very tail end. 

Like another user pointed out, surely after a while, your customers will start to show up with a regular amount of usage, rather than outright abuse, which should ultimately ameliorate your frustrations. 

it is what it is.nothing I can do about it. They are not really customers and that's part of the problem I guess^^. so let's hope they all stick with the quality of Sparx sharpenings and don't go to the local ski service center which happens to be a hockey service center as well:-D. All I can hope for is that they at least pay me a few beer for my expenses🤣

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

This is easily one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen said on this website, and ho boy have we seen some silly things over the years.

And with that, it’s time to move on. We generally avoid spreading misinformation here. Misinformation that somehow manages to bring politics into it? Definitely a no-go.

Move on, people. Don’t feed trolls. 

Anyway let's see how things turn out with my other grinding rings. btw: shipping included I'm paying 95$ per ring . Let it be guys:-)

P.S. I wasn't the one who got politically butthurt in the first place because of poor wording or using the word in a non political context. .@Giltis @IPv6Freely

Edited by lfc26

5 minutes ago, lfc26 said:

it is what it is.nothing I can do about it. They are not really customers and that's part of the problem I guess^^. so let's hope they all stick with the quality of Sparx sharpenings and don't go to the local ski service center that happens to be a hockey service center as well:-D. All I can hope for is that they at least pay me a few beer for my expenses🤣

Are you not charging people to sharpen their skates??? If that's the case, you're getting used and abused.

4 minutes ago, darkhors said:

Are you not charging people to sharpen their skates??? If that's the case, you're getting used and abused.

no I'm basically the only guy who doesn't have to bring beer every few weeks of hockey. Has some advantages too😂

but to be honest, I wasn't planning on sharpening their kids skates....😥

Edited by lfc26

3 hours ago, lfc26 said:

P.S. I wasn't the one who got politically butthurt in the first place because of poor wording or using the word in a non political context.

Drop it.

• Like 1

Advanced issue found

✌
5 hours ago, lfc26 said:

5 hours ago, lfc26 said:

no, I'm basically the only guy who doesn't have to bring beer every few weeks of hockey. Has some advantages too😂

but to be honest, I wasn't planning on sharpening their kid's skates....😥

You can buy a lot of beer with $40-$50 bucks if you go to Costco. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Ok, so the real issue here is that you aren't even charging them to sharpen their skates. I'm sorry, but this wouldn't even be an issue if you were charging them, say even 5 euro's (I don't know what the going rate is per sharpening over there, but here it's $10 at most places) you should be able to have new rings on hand that you're not having to come out of pocket for. I charge my customers $6.00 or they can buy a package of 10 for $50. This basically helps me recoup the cost of the ring after 10 sharpenings and the rest of the money usually goes to other stuff hockey related. I could probably charge $10 and most of the guys would be fine with that because of the consistency I'm putting out there for them, but many of the people I do it for are friends or play in my league or their kids. I'm not trying to run a full fledged business, but I do want to be compensated for my time and resources and wear on my machine. There's a reason why not everyone has one of these, they're still expensive.

Your friends should be willing to pay you you to sharpen their skates, especially if it’s better than what they are getting in a shop. If the free beer doesn’t cover the cost of the rings, you explain your costs and time to them and ask them for some money.  

If they are just using you because you got a new toy, then they aren’t really your friends. 

9 hours ago, darkhors said:

Ok, so the real issue here is that you aren't even charging them to sharpen their skates. I'm sorry, but this wouldn't even be an issue if you were charging them, say even 5 euro's (I don't know what the going rate is per sharpening over there, but here it's $10 at most places) you should be able to have new rings on hand that you're not having to come out of pocket for. I charge my customers $6.00 or they can buy a package of 10 for $50. This basically helps me recoup the cost of the ring after 10 sharpenings and the rest of the money usually goes to other stuff hockey related. I could probably charge $10 and most of the guys would be fine with that because of the consistency I'm putting out there for them, but many of the people I do it for are friends or play in my league or their kids. I'm not trying to run a full fledged business, but I do want to be compensated for my time and resources and wear on my machine. There's a reason why not everyone has one of these, they're still expensive.

I'm kind of in a similar position. Most of them are good friends but we have some guest players as well. beer's not gonna cover it, I've got that part so far😂. giving out sharpening cards seems like a good idea. I'll think about it. The thing is, if just one guy moves on and makes this public, I'm screwed. That's why charging people turns out to be a bit tricky.

rates are around 8€/ 9-10$. basically the same but the quality is more than debatable^^.

Edited by lfc26

So, I got one skate sharpened today and the red light indicating a depleted ring came on as the first pass on the second skate started.

How long do you use your rings? Is the red circle light a warning or is the ring finished when it first appears? I ran 3 passes with the light on, is this a good sharpening?

Edited by 218hockey

I believe it will stop after the last cycle runs once it turns red. Your sharpening should still be good, but I probably wouldn't do any more after that, if it will even let you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darkhors said:

I believe it will stop after the last cycle runs once it turns red. Your sharpening should still be good, but I probably wouldn't do any more after that, if it will even let you.

No, it turned red and kept on sharpening. Sharpening seemed fine so I guess it's a moot point.

Sooo, my 1/2" Fire is done. I'm going to buy another as soon as I can sell my 5/8" Fire. I wish I could return it. To me, trying different Sparx hollows seems like an expensive experiment. 

Howdy,

7 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

No, it turned red and kept on sharpening. Sharpening seemed fine so I guess it's a moot point.

Sooo, my 1/2" Fire is done. I'm going to buy another as soon as I can sell my 5/8" Fire. I wish I could return it. To me, trying different Sparx hollows seems like an expensive experiment. 

From the little I've seen, used rings sell pretty quick, at least on ebay.  I casually keep an eye out for a deal on weird ones like a 3/8", just in case I have crazy friend that wants to try it or something, but I very rarely see used rings get listed on ebay and they always seem to sell fairly quickly for not enough off of "new from Sparx" for me to want to deal with a rando.

Which is all a long way to say... I bet if you list it here it'd sell pretty quick.  🙂

Mark

5 minutes ago, marka said:

Which is all a long way to say... I bet if you list it here it'd sell pretty quick.  🙂

Mark

You're probably right.

I've had Sparx in my saved ebay searches for a while. Used machines come up every now and then but people pay way too close to new prices for them. I guess I did pick up a brand new blade holder for $25 a few months ago, so that was good.

2 hours ago, 218hockey said:

I try standard hollows at my LHS to see if I like them before buying a ring.Sadly I can’t do that with Fire rings, so I suspect I will never buy one. I believe that in North America you can send blades to Sparx to be sharpened. 

I've just received my sharpening rings and there's a different number of sharpenings stated for these rings???? For some odd reason this is not stated on the Sparx website. Again...again that's poor transparency. I've ordered ES100 rings!!!

I think that's really unacceptable. There's no information on the Sparx website that different rings will yield different number of sharpenings!!!!

40 vs 60 sharpenings. what's the defense on that??? I 'll provide pictures asap!  rings are 1/2'' and 11/16''.  Am I the only one who realized that???

Edited by lfc26
  • Facepalm 3

2 hours ago, lfc26 said:

I've just received my sharpening rings and there's a different number of sharpenings stated for these rings???? For some odd reason this is not stated on the Sparx website. Again...again that's poor transparency. I've ordered ES100 rings!!!

I think that's really unacceptable. There's no information on the Sparx website that different rings will yield different number of sharpenings!!!!

40 vs 60 sharpenings. what's the defense on that??? I 'll provide pictures asap!  rings are 1/2'' and 11/16''.  Am I the only one who realized that???

Then sell it and buy a ProSharp Home!!!!!!  Have you ever managed a product?  Do you know what goes into it?  There are myriad explanations why you are seeing this discrepancy.