Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

1 minute ago, BenBreeg said:

Does anyone know if this is a gen 2 replacement or a cheaper complement to the current model?  I havent bought one but really like th fact that the Sparx is almost 40 lbs, hope they dont replace it with something lighter.

I do not believe it is a replacement. I think it's a stand-alone offering with increased portability.

JMO

9 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

Does anyone know if this is a gen 2 replacement or a cheaper complement to the current model?  I havent bought one but really like th fact that the Sparx is almost 40 lbs, hope they dont replace it with something lighter.

im in the same boat. hoping it brings back the cross grind option

42 minutes ago, BenBreeg said:

I havent bought one but really like th fact that the Sparx is almost 40 lbs, hope they dont replace it with something lighter.

Curious as to why a heavier machine would be better?  

Howdy,

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

Generally speaking, machine tools that are heavier work better (less flexing, less vibration, etc)

I'm not sure how much that would apply to a skate sharpener.  Chatter / vibration of the "cutting head" obviously is bad, but I would imagine they could keep weights / resonance there in check and still drop the weight of the whole unit.

It'll be interesting to see what the differences are.  I certainly don't care about smaller/lighter for my use, so if that's the big improvement, I won't feel any pressure to upgrade.  🙂

Mark

1 hour ago, mojo122 said:

Maybe it doesn't apply as much but when you have something spinning/vibrating, the weight of the entire machine dampens it and reduces wobble.  In woodworking the better equipment weighs a ton for this exact reason, sometimes guys will search out old vintage machines from the 30s and 40s because they are even heavier.  Not sure how that comes into play here but you do notice the higher end sharpeners also seem a lot beefier.  I could be wrong but that is where my head is at.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Generally speaking, machine tools that are heavier work better (less flexing, less vibration, etc)

I'm not sure how much that would apply to a skate sharpener.  Chatter / vibration of the "cutting head" obviously is bad, but I would imagine they could keep weights / resonance there in check and still drop the weight of the whole unit.

It'll be interesting to see what the differences are.  I certainly don't care about smaller/lighter for my use, so if that's the big improvement, I won't feel any pressure to upgrade.  🙂

Mark

Jinx! 🙂

• Haha 1

And so the line between consumer and commercial use is further blurred; it's interesting to see how an expansion out to proshops is perceived when now it's going to be even easier to bypass them - in their own house, no less.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stick9 said:

I do not believe it is a replacement. I think it's a stand-alone offering with increased portability.

JMO

I diont think Sparx has the capital to build and support two seperate units. I imagine they will streamline to a single model and sell off the older model inventory at a slight discount. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Unlikely for all three. Ring life is already pretty damn good. Cross grind just isn’t going to happen, and vacuum hookup is more likely to be limited to the pro models only.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:36 PM, cjpritch said:
It’s going to be a lot smaller 

Nah, just a smaller cardboard box with less foam padding. 

I’ve never considered the Sparx portable as it’s so heavy, but I know many disagree. I wouldn’t mind knowing why the original was so big and heavy compared to the ProSharp Home which by all accounts is very good albeit expensive. 

Edited by Leif
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Leif said:

Nah, just a smaller cardboard box with less foam padding. 

I’ve never considered the Sparx portable as it’s so heavy, but I know many disagree. I wouldn’t mind knowing why the original was so big and heavy compared to the ProSharp Home which by all accounts is very good albeit expensive. 

The history and philosophy behind the design is well documented on Sparx's youtube channel.

Look for the series of videos titled 'The Sparx Prototype Series' if you want the full picture - it goes quite in depth from original idea generation to prototypes to the final design & build.

colins

13 hours ago, colins said:

The history and philosophy behind the design is well documented on Sparx's youtube channel.

Look for the series of videos titled 'The Sparx Prototype Series' if you want the full picture - it goes quite in depth from original idea generation to prototypes to the final design & build.

colins

I watched the videos, albeit a year or so ago, but I don’t remember any specific mention of why it needs to be so heavy. I recall the CEO posting here and explaining that it takes a deeper cut than the ProSharp, and perhaps that creates more potential vibrations which need dampening with added mass. Nice to see that it is evolving. 

10 minutes ago, Giltis said:

I am a bit underwhelmed. 

It’s gone down from 17.5 Kg to 10 Kg with a corresponding reduction in size and a modest reduction in price. That looks rather good to me. I bet for us Europeans that will translate to a price increase, but it is now very much portable. 👍🏻

Jeez, that thing is way smaller. I'm not too surprised, there was a lot of space in the machine that was nothing but just open air. It's not enough of a difference to upgrade, but new buyers will definitely be happy. Well done, Sparx.