Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

On 5/7/2022 at 2:58 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

I was thinking Marlborough...only place I know that has 8 sheets and Sparx represenation.

Same here. I believe it's the only 8 sheet complex in NA. 

The bit about a retailer being right down the street was the kicker for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stick9 said:

Same here. I believe it's the only 8 sheet complex in NA. 

The bit about a retailer being right down the street was the kicker for me.

Really? I thought the Blaine Super Rink (home of the USA women's national team) at the National Sports Center was the only place with 8 sheets under one roof. It's been there for 30 years. I guess I learn something every day! Pure Hockey is near the Super Rink as well as the famous Lettermen Sports. Pure Hockey had Prosharp sharpeners, I assume they have Sparx now. Lettermen's has a few Sparx.

https://www.nscsports.org/indoor-facilities

NSC is a crazy place on over 600 acres. It's so massive with so much going on I know people who have been there for numerous events that have no idea there's even a 300,000 sq ft ice facility on the site! There's the hockey rinks, PGA Tour designed 18 hole golf course, 52 soccer fields, 5500 seat stadium, and a 450' long dome. Until 2020 there was a full size wooden velodrome.

Edited by 218hockey

I did a couple of searches on this, but couldn't find anything on here. Apologies if it's already been discussed. 

When doing multiple pairs of skates (not even anything crazy, like 2-3 pairs), the heat presumably bonds the wheel to the arm of the machine making it impossible to get off without letting it cool for 5-10 minutes. That is an easy solution if there's time, but if it's before a game, sometimes we're running through 10+ pairs of skates with limited time. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions/thoughts would be much appreciated.

On 9/15/2022 at 1:48 PM, a komets fan said:

I did a couple of searches on this, but couldn't find anything on here. Apologies if it's already been discussed. 

When doing multiple pairs of skates (not even anything crazy, like 2-3 pairs), the heat presumably bonds the wheel to the arm of the machine making it impossible to get off without letting it cool for 5-10 minutes. That is an easy solution if there's time, but if it's before a game, sometimes we're running through 10+ pairs of skates with limited time. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Heat causes metal to expand. You need to let it cool. 

On 9/15/2022 at 4:48 PM, a komets fan said:

You could try swapping rings every 1 or 2 sharpenings, either to a diffierent radius or another ring of the same radius. That would give it a chance to cool.

Perhaps a small battery operated fan to be used to help cool it down when you need to do the change over.  Doesn't take much to dissipate heat if you have something like that blowing on it for a minute or two.

Also, maybe try a high heat lubricant on the wheels inside, WD 40 makes one as well as others ( simple google search ) may help it slide on and off just a little easier in this instance.

Yep, I have that happen as well, although so far I was always able to pop it off. It doesn't bond or anything, but the piece the rings sit on (with the cooling fins) expands more than the ring and kind of locks it in place. You could possibly put an icepack or something on it (the silver ring behind the sharpening ring) or just do the rings with fewer skates first to reduce the need to swap. I doubt you're going through 10 different hollows. This way you can probably pop it off and then squeeze the next one on. 

How many different hollows are you going through, and why does a bulk sharpening have to happen right before players are on the ice? 

Kinda sounds like the issue is less the Sparx design, and more logistical planning. 

I've only had mine since February 2022 but I have 2 pairs of skates (one for playing and the other for officiating). I haven't experience any sort of overheating to this point yet. I assume you have the Sharpener for a team? How many passes are you doing per skate? A portable unit like the Sparx is probably prone to overheat quicker than a pro-shop "stand still" unit when making many passes on many skates. At least that's my guess.

18 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

I've only had mine since February 2022 but I have 2 pairs of skates (one for playing and the other for officiating). I haven't experience any sort of overheating to this point yet. I assume you have the Sharpener for a team? How many passes are you doing per skate? A portable unit like the Sparx is probably prone to overheat quicker than a pro-shop "stand still" unit when making many passes on many skates. At least that's my guess.

It's not so much that the unit as a whole overheats, but the part the rings attach to is (in my opinion) specifically designed to absorb heat away from the rings that's caused by friction. Seeing that part is solid metal and the rings partially plastic, it expands a tiny bit more than the ring and they get "sticky". I would guess that happens at around ~12-15 passes in quick succession. I usually do 2-4 per skate for my teammates before games and after couple of pairs the 1/2" ring needs to be pried off. I never had an issue grabbing it with a towel though and pulling it off with a little force.

I've run into the same thing. Not to the point where I need to pry the wheel off, but they are difficult to swap after multiple passes.

On 9/22/2022 at 2:56 PM, Malarowski said:

It's not so much that the unit as a whole overheats, but the part the rings attach to is (in my opinion) specifically designed to absorb heat away from the rings that's caused by friction. Seeing that part is solid metal and the rings partially plastic, it expands a tiny bit more than the ring and they get "sticky". I would guess that happens at around ~12-15 passes in quick succession. I usually do 2-4 per skate for my teammates before games and after couple of pairs the 1/2" ring needs to be pried off. I never had an issue grabbing it with a towel though and pulling it off with a little force.

Ah. I see. I can see this. I don't put my machine through those kind of paces so it is shocking that I don't have any of those issues. It would be interesting to see/hear if Sparx has had teams/clubs having similar issues.

Hey all,

I've been lurking this thread for several years now.   I'd planned to buy a Sparx back in the day, then ended up working at a shop where I could sharpen my own skates, eliminating the need.  I've now moved from Columbus, OH where the sharpening options were mediocre to poor unless I did it myself, to an area between Cincinnati and Dayton.   While getting out of Columbus has been great overall, somehow the options for a good skate sharpening are actually worse.   Literally no-one offers a flat bottom sharpening of any kind.  While I suspect if I could get to know the right person at the University of Miami I could get the best sharpening/profiling I've ever had and get my skates cut any way I want, I haven't encountered him or her yet. 

So, back to the Sparx option. Based on the thread it seems like the consensus is as follows:

• Sparks is excellent and maintaining level edges (assuming proper verification and maintenance is done).
  • Sparks is good to great in terms of maintaining an existing profile (assuming it's set up properly and not hammering down on the heel/toe).  Obviously some retouching of the profile will be needed over time but Sparx is probably better at keeping my profile than Fred Rando at the rink shop. 
  • Sparx does an ok job with blade finish.  It isn't quite as good as a top notch hand sharpener due to the lack of a finishing pass, but probably nothing most players will notice.  

For me, those are the 3 biggest factors, so if there are any dissenting opinions backed up by facts/experience I'd love to hear them. The cost per pass and non-replaceability of parts are things I've factored in, and given that there really isn't another viable home sharpening option at this point, I've decided I can live with them.   A few more questions:

1. Has anyone tried using wax, jewelers polish or any other polishing agent on the blade to get a better finish?  How did it work?  If this was covered, I missed it.
  2. Is there a major advantage to the Pro base vs the plastic base.   I get that the pro base weighs more which should reduce vibration, but is there an actual performance benefit to the base, or is it simply a larger container so that you don't have to vacuum it out as often?  Money isn't really an object here, but I do want a concrete benefit if I'm spending a couple hundred dollars more.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.  

For 98% of the people posting here, the finish in the hollow is vastly overrated. Sorry it just is. 

It's one of things that you can measure or calculate but never actually feel. It's only an issue because someone said it was.

Edited by stick9

Howdy,

Here or on the FB group, I can't recall someone really recommending the Pro base.  And there are lots of comments about "shouldn't have gotten it".  YMMV.

As for your actual question re: oiling/waxing the blade prior to a last pass... I've never seen anyone recommend that.  AFAIK, that's only done with a traditional grinding wheel vs. the diamond grit (?) ones that Sparx uses.  I can say that it would be a bit of a pain as well.  No question that for me I would use (and do use) a Speed Skate rather than that.  The only thing I don't like all that much about the speed skate is that it rubs at the finish on my Shift Onyx blades.  But I think that's more an issue with a fairly non-durable coating vs. the speed skate itself.

Mark

On 10/1/2022 at 5:09 PM, stick9 said:

For 98% of the people posting here, the finish in the hollow is vastly overrated. Sorry it just is. It's one of things that you can measure or calculate but never actually feel. It's only an issue because someone said it was.

For the typical person you are very correct. 

48 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

Lol agreed. 

When I think of ways to materially improve my game, having a mirror finish on the bottom of my steel is probably at the bottom of the list. 

Having regular access to a Sparx has allowed me to go from a traditional 7/16 to a 3/4" Fire, which according to Sparx literature is probably closer to a  1" traditional ROH.

That being said, the Wissota speed skate someone posted here claims it's backed by science. I'd love to have it linked here for the wonderful folks of MSH. Any takers? 

Does that mean a fire 5/8 is closer to an 11/16?

I like the way fresh 11/16 feels, but I feel like I need another sharpen after 5 games or so. I don't like fresh 5/8 but it seems to last a little longer.

If a fire 5/8 feels closer to a 11/16, I wonder if I should just give that a shot.

1 minute ago, dasuchin said:

Does that mean a fire 5/8 is closer to an 11/16?

I like the way fresh 11/16 feels, but I feel like I need another sharpen after 5 games or so. I don't like fresh 5/8 but it seems to last a little longer.

If a fire 5/8 feels closer to a 11/16, I wonder if I should just give that a shot.

From my experience. The 5/8ths Fire felt more like a 3/4 ROH.

Why not just keep that 11/16ths fresh? It's less wear on the ring. I'll normally do 2 passes for every 4 hours or ice time.

28 minutes ago, stick9 said:

From my experience. The 5/8ths Fire felt more like a 3/4 ROH.

Why not just keep that 11/16ths fresh? It's less wear on the ring. I'll normally do 2 passes for every 4 hours or ice time.

Biggest issue is that I don't currently have my own Sparx, so I have to bring my skates to a friends house. I play 4 times a week, so that would mean going over there once a week. I'm pretty close to just pulling the trigger on one now that my wife is also playing.

20 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

Well, I can't seem to locate it now, but IIRC the Sparx Blog had a comments section at the end where I had asked this question a long time ago when I actually made the purchase.

I believe that at the time, whomever was in charge of answering the posts (not Russ), stated something to the effect of the glide was about 1/4" more more shallow in feeling as compared to the stated ROH on the ring. I also believe they said the bite felt like that of 1/8 more shallow, as well. 

In this example, a 5/8 would have the bite of 3/4, and glide of 7/8. 

If you're not totally confused yet, the takeaway is that the Fire rings overstate bite and understate glide by non-trivial amounts.

In your case, if you're doing one sharpen after 5 skates, I think you might benefit from going more shallow and doing a quick refresh between every skate. This has worked for me and is why I'm able to go down to 3/4 Fire. After one skate I notice the difference and the steel needs another pass on the machine. 

I still have teammates that get 3/8 on their steel just to maintain bite between semi-annual visits to the pro shop... Some of these guys played AAA and into college or higher. I also played with one guy over the Summer that started NCAA III this Fall, and he said he has a Sparx and puts on a fresh 3/8 every skate. He's a pretty big dude, and quite the skater. One of the best I've seen, actually. YMMV.

Edit: I found this on Reddit, though I'm not sure the source. 

I think ultimately I just need to buy my own Sparx so I have full flexibility of sharpening however and whenever I want. I was just interested in trying fire since they say the glide is improved.

Edited by dasuchin

22 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

Well, I can't seem to locate it now, but IIRC the Sparx Blog had a comments section at the end where I had asked this question a long time ago when I actually made the purchase.

I believe that at the time, whomever was in charge of answering the posts (not Russ), stated something to the effect of the glide was about 1/4" more more shallow in feeling as compared to the stated ROH on the ring. I also believe they said the bite felt like that of 1/8 more shallow, as well. 

If you're not totally confused yet, the takeaway is that the Fire rings overstate bite and understate glide by non-trivial amounts.

In your case, if you're doing one sharpen after 5 skates, I think you might benefit from going more shallow and doing a quick refresh between every skate. This has worked for me and is why I'm able to go down to 3/4 Fire. After one skate I notice the difference and the steel needs another pass on the machine. 

I still have teammates that get 3/8 on their steel just to maintain bite between semi-annual visits to the pro shop... Some of these guys played AAA and into college or higher. I also played with one guy over the Summer that started NCAA III this Fall, and he said he has a Sparx and puts on a fresh 3/8 every skate. He's a pretty big dude, and quite the skater. One of the best I've seen, actually. YMMV.

Skating on 3/8 is just silly. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pgeorgan said:

I am the source. I worked with Sparx on that. You're welcome. 

Edited by PBH
  • Like 1