Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

An edge checker is always good, but you can lay a large metal coin on the upturned blade to get a rough idea, any really bad imbalance will be visible. 

Did you have an edge at the start of the game? Could have banged it on something mid game and lost it. If you had it at the start, then didn’t have it later, to me, that speaks to some “traumatic” event rather than being bad from the start. 

And, also, buy an edge checker.  🙂 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dasuchin said:

Ok I'm having a weird thing going on with the new sharpener. I've been using 5/8 fire. I did a fresh sharpen with 4 passes before my game last night. Toward the end of the game, I felt like the outside edge was completely gone. Just felt like I had no grip. I don't remember having this happen when using my friends Sparx.

Anything I should check to try to resolve it? I checked the alignment on the Sparx last night before I sharpened. I don't have an edge checker, wondering if maybe I need to pick one up, if it could be due to uneven edges?

An edge checker is mandatory. A cheap and easy to find alternative is a right-angle checker. 

16 hours ago, start_today said:

Did you have an edge at the start of the game? Could have banged it on something mid game and lost it. If you had it at the start, then didn’t have it later, to me, that speaks to some “traumatic” event rather than being bad from the start. 

And, also, buy an edge checker.  🙂 

^^ This...

Also, an edge checker is a must have. 

On 11/18/2022 at 1:11 PM, stick9 said:

^^ This...

Also, an edge checker is a must have. 

Not at that price it's not.  May be unpopular opinion, but I think skating without knowing of perfectly-even edges is fine unless you play pros, but that's just me.  I consider myself a pretty good skater of over 20 years and I take care of my kids' skates before every game, but no need to go overboard.  If I can get one for say $30, I would use it... so why is this thing $80, $150 again?

Edited by rh71el2

Howdy,

I paid $100+ for the Sparx edge checker because even though I could make one for about $10 in materials I have better shit to do with my time.

YMMV.

Mark

2 hours ago, rh71el2 said:

Not at that price it's not.  May be unpopular opinion, but I think skating without knowing of perfectly-even edges is fine unless you play pros, but that's just me.  I consider myself a pretty good skater of over 20 years and I take care of my kids' skates before every game, but no need to go overboard.  If I can get one for say $30, I would use it... so why is this thing $80, $150 again?

Economies of scale

3 hours ago, rh71el2 said:

If I can get one for say $30, I would use it... so why is this thing $80, $150 again?

Well the one pictured above used to be about $30 on ebay a few years ago. It's about $2 of materials. I know that doesn't mean it's going to cost $5.

16 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I paid $100+ for the Sparx edge checker because even though I could make one for about $10 in materials I have better shit to do with my time.

YMMV.

Mark

In Europe we have to pay about $400. Guess why so few of us own a Sparx edge checker? I have the cheesy ebay one, and it works fine. It is better than the Prosharp one I had, which was out by a few thou. When I sent it back to Prosharp, they claimed it was within spec. I never did get my money back or a replacement. Scumbags.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:34 AM, Leif said:

It is better than the Prosharp one I had, which was out by a few thou. 

I just got one of theirs. How did you test it to determine it was out by a few thou?

5 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

I just got one of theirs. How did you test it to determine it was out by a few thou?

I tested it on a blade against ones from Blademaster, Sparx and the ebay one. The latter three all agreed with each other. The Prosharp was out by about two thou. 

My filter light went red on my Sparx dash.  It's recommended that we change the filter every 4 stones.  
My question:  How does my Sparx sharpener determine that the filter needs changing?  How does it sense that it has been changed?
Is there a sensor?

I cleaned my filter and got the red button to turn off.  It's good for now but i'm going to buy a new filter.

1 hour ago, Foto said:

My filter light went red on my Sparx dash.  It's recommended that we change the filter every 4 stones.  
My question:  How does my Sparx sharpener determine that the filter needs changing?  How does it sense that it has been changed?
Is there a sensor?

I cleaned my filter and got the red button to turn off.  It's good for now but i'm going to buy a new filter.

To my knowledge, the machine keeps a count of how many passes it does on each filter. I'm not sure what the magic number is, but once it reaches that point is when the error code will pop up and alert you to clean/change the filter. On the older models, you simply held down the filter 'reset' button and it shut off the error code and reset the counter, I haven't had as much experience with the newer, smaller units but would assume it is a similar process. 

I occasionally sweep out the inside of my machine, and remove and clean the filter. The latter gets filthy with steel dust, but cleans up nicely with a paint brush, and gentle knocks against the frame. The machine is four years old, and is used once a week, no issues. 

Contrary to popular belief, media filters do expire. 

Mine lasted several years. I paid the couple bucks or whatever for a new one. The fan might crap out if it's suffocating, then you've got bigger problems. 

Not quite as important as changing your engine oil filter, but why risk it? 

On 11/30/2022 at 11:22 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

YMMV.

Mark

A buddy made this for me. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7rf20osxexxvpl/IMG_1937.heic?dl=0

We tested it against a Wissota HDI and it was at least as accurate. 

Edited by pgeorgan

Ok, I need some Sparx trouble shooting help. 

Sharpened my skates myself on a Sparx machine, first time I have personally done it. Used a brand new 3/4” fire wheel, which is my normal go to. It felt like way more bite than usual. Had pure hockey redo it, and it’s fine. Not great, but fine. 

I usually take them to a shop that does an outstanding job on a Sparx, it’s just 45 minutes each way. 

Obviously user error by me, but I thought I followed all the directions. Are there any typical newb errors that might lead to the blade feeling like too much bite? 

Machine isn’t mine. It’s a friend of a friend’s and I don’t know how well he maintains it.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, start_today said:

Ok, I need some Sparx trouble shooting help. 

Sharpened my skates myself on a Sparx machine, first time I have personally done it. Used a brand new 3/4” fire wheel, which is my normal go to. It felt like way more bite than usual. Had pure hockey redo it, and it’s fine. Not great, but fine. 

I usually take them to a shop that does an outstanding job on a Sparx, it’s just 45 minutes each way. 

Obviously user error by me, but I thought I followed all the directions. Are there any typical newb errors that might lead to the blade feeling like too much bite? 

Machine isn’t mine. It’s a friend of a friend’s and I don’t know how well he maintains it.  Thanks!

The bold could likely be the issue.  A click or two in one direction or the other may be needed to center the stone properly.  Also, was an edge level check done to see if one side is higher than the other?  The edge level checker is pretty important if something feels off and you are trying to adjust a stone to center it as best as possible.

Edited by noupf
  • Like 2