Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimmy

NHL.com today has a nice video of Edge runner being popped out by a shot

Chara was having some work done to his skates during one of the breaks. Not sure if the steel popped out or if he was just switching runners or what. But he was stomping down on his skate when the equipment guy finished and tested it out on the ice to see if it was stable or not. He was using the edge holder.

Tyler I think what is a more compelling argument on your part is that a player at a higher level would not have to untie a skate that feel comfortable at the time to change the blade.

That being said a good trainer would or could have a skate sharpened or blade replaced in less time than most think. Personally have done a set of blades and player missed one shift.

However the player still has to take the skates off and then due them up and some its a ritual they would rather not do during a game.

On a side note. In this thread and others I have taken a lot of heat for my stance on this product. I know others have similar stances on other products such as OPS and Helmets and so on. However if you feel I am wrong I am very open to discussing it one on one. Feel free to inbox me and I will discuss in a intelligent mature manor. What I find very disturbing is what is going on behind the keyboards here on this site and others, as I have found out today via FB. Being attacked online for your position on a product or a life style choice or what government you want to see in power is very immature and boarding on abuse. Now I have thicker skin than that but what was also was mentioned is I have a very poor reputation in the MSH Community and the hockey community in general. I find this very interesting. So please step forward and let me here it in a polite and mature manner. Thank you for your time.

GOD FORBID YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT POINT OF VIEW!!!!!!

Who cares this much? Nothing is ever perfect, there will always be issues. Shit breaks. Let it go, and hope the next generation of holder is an improvement.

FWIW, in my shop we have sold a lot of second sets of runners to AAA Peewees and up through our AAA18s. Word of mouth among the dads has driven a lot of sales of the second pair of runners. As compared to Minnesota, here in North Jersey and the Atlantic District, AAA players travel as far south on weekends as Washington, DC. Having the second set of runners when you are at an out-of-town rink that you may or may not trust the sharpener or if there is a long backup in skates sharpened while you wait(we have 4 rinks here and weekend sharpening wait can easily get to one hour), can be a game saver and lower the stress levels for travel players. Having the second set is also a bonus at week-end tournaments where multiple games are jammed into a 3 day event. Is Edge perfect? Not even close. Does it serve a viable purpose? Yes.

Point taken. This makes perfect sense. We (Minnesotans) happen to travel to out of town tourney's 1-2 x's per winter within the state. Serious players travel farther and wider in the spring and summer months with AAA teams. I typically carry with my X02 so I take care of my players blades. However, we also have a pretty established Pro shop network as well so you can always find someone to sharpen skates in a pinch.

Who cares this much? Nothing is ever perfect, there will always be issues. Shit breaks. Let it go, and hope the next generation of holder is an improvement.

No offense but at $800 per pair, your steel should be set in the holder solidly and not be a risk to fall out. So owners probably do have a reason to care.

No offense but at $800 per pair, your steel should be set in the holder solidly and not be a risk to fall out. So owners probably do have a reason to care.

I bought a $250,000 Lamborghini, it should never break down ever right? Cause I paid a lot of money for it?

On top of that, these holders are also on the $200 dollar skates. You're not paying 800 bones for the holders, they cost 37.99 each iirc...

I bought a $250,000 Lamborghini, it should never break down ever right? Cause I paid a lot of money for it?

On top of that, these holders are also on the $200 dollar skates. You're not paying 800 bones for the holders, they cost 37.99 each iirc...

If I pay the money for a brand new car and give it the proper maintenance then, yes, I would be pissed if it broke down.

It's a great tool - I've been using it since September of last year.

Just got mine a couple months ago and now have 2 more on order. They are a life saver. So much easier to do blades up to send to guys and not have to worry about the level when they put them in.

If I pay the money for a brand new car and give it the proper maintenance then, yes, I would be pissed if it broke down.

Okay, good. Now, are the blades falling out through improper maintenance, or are there any other influences (ie a puck hitting it, or smashing into the boards) that are causing these blades to fall out?

If I ran my lambo into a wall and it broke, I would not be angry at it for breaking.

Okay, good. Now, are the blades falling out through improper maintenance, or are there any other influences (ie a puck hitting it, or smashing into the boards) that are causing these blades to fall out?

If I ran my lambo into a wall and it broke, I would not be angry at it for breaking.

Oh believe me, you would be angry fro crashing it....

Why would you drive a car into the wall???

sorry , I do not get the benefit of that tool ( does it just simulate boot weight ??) ...could sby please elaborate ??

Yes it simulates boot weight and when trying to check level makes it easier. All around an awesome tool. I know St. Louis and Nashville have 4 of them. Toronto Marlies have at least 3 of them. It really is a fantastic device.

Joe can explain it better, but basically, it clamps the steel at the two points where it hooks into the holder and you are able to then clamp it on the jig and sharpen.

It simulates boot weight, plus at no point during the sharpening process do you have to touch the steel. You can clamp your squaring device onto the steel after sharpening, as well as hone the skate.

Before it, the sharpener would have to handle the steel with their hands at all times.

Mine is a pre-production one so it's unpainted.

freerunner.JPG

freerunner2.JPG

hmmm ...dunno ...I don't mind touching the steel as it is never too hot when I sharpen . I don't need the xtra weight simulating the steel as it only requires more holder adjusting !! ...the only factor I could think of is that it saves a bit of time ...so depending on the initial cost it could save some cash down the road !

hmmm ...dunno ...I don't mind touching the steel as it is never too hot when I sharpen . I don't need the xtra weight simulating the steel as it only requires more holder adjusting !! ...the only factor I could think of is that it saves a bit of time ...so depending on the initial cost it could save some cash down the road !

Just way easier handling the blades while sharpening and level check and honing. Well worth the money. And being in Canada I got ripped on the currency but still going to buy 2 more!

Why would you drive a car into the wall???

Trying to win a race comes to mind. Why would people place a plastic holder on their skate in front of a 100 mph slap shot? Trying to win a game, probably. Pushing the product in ways it is not designed to function --or past it's limits-- in hopes that it helps them win

Oh believe me, you would be angry fro crashing it....

Of course I'd be angry at the fact I crashed it, however I would not be angry for the result of the crash (it being broken). Its expected that something breaks when you run it into a wall. Or take a slap shot off of it.

Trying to win a race comes to mind. Why would people place a plastic holder on their skate in front of a 100 mph slap shot? Trying to win a game, probably. Pushing the product in ways it is not designed to function --or past it's limits-- in hopes that it helps them win

Of course I'd be angry at the fact I crashed it, however I would not be angry for the result of the crash (it being broken). Its expected that something breaks when you run it into a wall. Or take a slap shot off of it.

If I am not mistaken the concern is that it may not take a shot as well as a traditional TUK holder without the quick release. Thus calling into question the engineering of the Edge quick release concept. I PROMISE you there were no 100 MPH slap shots coming off the sticks of the 14/15 year olds I coach. Also the shot I saw in the NCAA tourney was not a 100 mph shot. The NCAA shot contacted the blade at about a 45 degree angle as the player was laying down two block the shot, it ricocheted of the skate over his instep. I know this because somehow they caught it on super slow mo. I have it recorded I might try to find it. The point is the puck hit the blade at such and angle that the force was not directly applied as it would have been a 90 degree angle. I have seen a traditional Tuk take that shot 100's of x's (no exaggeration) without damage.

mid game?

how often does that happen?

as often as these getting ejected from their holder I imagine.

Happens more often than you think.

This was Monday night.

Well if anyone was watching last weeks OHL cup the Marlies best player and eventual tournament MVP broke an LS2 blade on his 1.8 Supremes at the start of the 3rd period.

You can even hear the announcers say "oh looks like Mcleod has an equipment issue his skate broke" they go to a TV timeout and they say " Well must not have been broken he's back on the bench."

So that was 1 shift (approx 1:20 Then a 2 min time out) Then another shift approx 1:00 min and he was back with a new used blade sharpened.

He never missed a shift. And only one player on the other team needed his skates done at the intermission. All in all a great night of amazing upcoming talent.

When you make it to a point where you have an EQM you can have just about anything go wrong with a piece of equipment and have it fixed rather quickly. Despite the majority of the NHL using the Edge holder, I think it benefits the average/"normal" player more. Not everybody has worked in a shop for years and can change/sharpen a new set of steel in under 5 min. I'm sure most hockey moms/dads could change steel on an edge holder if you show them. Its obviously caught on with so many players/teams using the edge over other holders. If we are playing hypotheticals and say you have a broken blade with an ls2 holder and I have the same broken blade but with an edge holder, who would be back and ready first? We both have steel prep'd for the player so sharpening doesnt need to happen. I grab the players blade, pull the trigger to remove blade(s) then insert new blades. Good to go. You have to grab the steel, remove players skate(s), take out footbed(s), unscrew old steel, screw in new steel, give back to player to retie. Without the convenience of a tv timeout you might miss a shift.

*noted that I am not bashing you for having a different opinion than me, like you normally deal with in this situation. Having an adult convo about our different opinions :biggrin::biggrin:

If I am not mistaken the concern is that it may not take a shot as well as a traditional TUK holder without the quick release. Thus calling into question the engineering of the Edge quick release concept. I PROMISE you there were no 100 MPH slap shots coming off the sticks of the 14/15 year olds I coach. Also the shot I saw in the NCAA tourney was not a 100 mph shot. The NCAA shot contacted the blade at about a 45 degree angle as the player was laying down two block the shot, it ricocheted of the skate over his instep. I know this because somehow they caught it on super slow mo. I have it recorded I might try to find it. The point is the puck hit the blade at such and angle that the force was not directly applied as it would have been a 90 degree angle. I have seen a traditional Tuk take that shot 100's of x's (no exaggeration) without damage.

Were your fingers getting tired?