Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MyBoxersSayJoe

Beer Leaguers, do goalies pay?

Hey guys, I was just wondering how things work in general or if there's some sort of protocol for whether or not goalies pay or if their season gets subsidized by the team, etc. The goalies on the teams I've played on usually pay the full price. But I've also have had friends who had played for teams because their portion of the fee was covered or subsidized by the team. It's always something that's had me curious.

If we sign up as individuals, we pay. If our team pays the team fee (flat rate regardless of the number of players) the captain typically distributes the cost of the goalie among the rest of the players.

That's how we do it here, at least.

Some do, some don't. Out of six leagues I can think of off the top of my head, three require goalies pay full price, one is half price, one is free but you have to purchase one of their jerseys ($70), one is a minimal fee ($35).

Most of the time, at pickup, goalies play free. At rink-sponsored pickup, it's usually half price, occasionally free. A couple of leagues will pay goalies to sub in if a goalie drops out at the last minute (emergency goalie system).

For leagues and tournaments I've seen it go about every way and usually the biggest factor is the size of the roster. As far a drop-in, pickup, shinny ... it's almost always free, which I think is the right way.

Our situation is that our goalie runs the team, always pays, but he had surgery on his knee and we have to find a fill-in goalie for a season. What I'm hearing from most of my goalie friends is they don't pay or they pay half. Is it almost like hiring a goalie at that point? And I guess it depends on whether you're friends with the guy or if they're coming in out of necessity.

For pick-up, open, etc. I totally understand playing for free.

Our situation is that our goalie runs the team, always pays, but he had surgery on his knee and we have to find a fill-in goalie for a season. What I'm hearing from most of my goalie friends is they don't pay or they pay half. Is it almost like hiring a goalie at that point? And I guess it depends on whether you're friends with the guy or if they're coming in out of necessity.

For pick-up, open, etc. I totally understand playing for free.

For established teams (which, around here, have their own entry fees that come out to slightly less per player than joining as an individual) I could see it being fairer to ask a goalie to pay an even share. On the other hand, you are kind of hiring him/her since you know they'll only be playing for a season.

The reasons as I understand them for cutting goalies slack in terms of fees is that 1. Goalie gear is a lot more expensive and 2. It's a lot more of a pain in the butt to drag it anywhere. In this specific case, would it present a great hardship to the rest of the team if you found a goalie and charged them, say, 2/3 of the usual player fee?

None of the teams I've played on have had the goalies pay. They are also free at drop in for the most part, one rink makes any goalies past 2nd pay

We had it where the goalie pays and if he stayed committed through the season they got there money back at the end of the season. We had been burned a couple games where an hour before the gametime we'd get a text that he was not able to make it.

We had it where the goalie pays and if he stayed committed through the season they got there money back at the end of the season. We had been burned a couple games where an hour before the gametime we'd get a text that he was not able to make it.

That makes a lot of sense to me, I'd prefer to have my goalie fully invested in the team to make it hard for them to blow off games.

Pickup goalies should always be free however.

Getting a solid, reliable goalie is important. The team I used to play on made the goalie pay half, but I wouldn't have complained if he was charged nothing and played for free with the caveat that if he was going to miss games and we couldn't find a replacement (or he couldn't get one) that he'd pay for a rental goalie for those games. Having the goalie pay up front and then getting a refund minus any rental fees makes sense. If the goalie provides plenty of advanced notice then someone on the team is likely be able to find a fill in for that game - if they tell you the day of then a rental goalie may be the only option.

A goalie should never just no show without notice - if they do that then it's time to look for a new one (the goalie in this case was very reliable and gave plenty of notice if he was going to be away. I don't think he would've paid a cent under my proposed plan, but he never complained about paying half).

As of right now, I think we're going to be using more than one goalie for this spring season, as we can't seem to get anyone to commit for every game. Our team will absorb the cost.

goalies never pay for anything (pickup/tourney/leagues).

that is usually what happens in massachusetts...and always on teams I run

Our goalie does volunteer to pick up beer when we play in tournaments though.

Kind of a trick question really. Goalies pay alright. SR sized gear from head to toe that's made for modern goaltending will cost the same as what most of us 35+ in age paid for our first car or more. Pick-up, shinny, beer league, and adult league I've never paid. I offered for each and was turned down. However, dedicated goalies are rare everywhere I hear but if I'm unable to make the ice time for a game, hockey isn't a thing here, so some poor shooter is getting dressed in some older rink goalie gear for that game and probably run the next time they hear there's no goalie. The guys who brought me in, explained clearly that I won't pay, they won't accept it if I try to pay, but there's a certain amount of dedication that comes with. I was a Corpsman for Marines for 11 years, I had no issues with understanding there's only one of me and I can't fall out of a run or a hike and push through any problems to be there, because no one else in the team or platoon could do my job. Same seemed to apply to the goalie. I accepted that without issue and only I've only missed once because I had bad things coming out of every orfice on a regular basis for 24 hours. Outside that, just like when they called me Doc, I'm gonna be there. The cost of gear and the burden a goalie should knowingly accept in the position, if lived up to, is a goalie's fee here.

As of right now, I think we're going to be using more than one goalie for this spring season, as we can't seem to get anyone to commit for every game. Our team will absorb the cost.

Ice House? What level?

An acquaintance of mine started the "Mass goalie list" in yahoo.

If you needed a goalie you could post and always end up with a replacement

It was so succesful it helped create the "Mass skaters list".

Still find an occasional random pickup hour using it.

To add to this;

Des Moines, IA -

6 leagues total

Two goalies pay half ($150 or $200)

Four goalies pay nothing, unless its team pay and they want to charge the goalie - I don't charge my goalies.

I pay for my spot and my goalie pays for his on my other team. Goalies get a slight discount but they are members of the team so I understand paying and am okay with it.

For shinny the goalies don't pay.

On the team I run the goalie skates for free and the other draft league I'm in goalies get a discount (around 50%). The goalies are on the beer rotation list, in which we developed a "Big Blind" and "Small Blind" system in which the person with the "Big Blind" brings a case of 24 and the "Small Blind" brings 12 or 15.