Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

40oz2freedom28

Bauer 1X Skates

Hey all,

So I just received my new Bauer 1X skates today and the LS4 steel right out of the box is a bit on the high side for me. All I'm really looking to do is to take a bit off the toe and heel to make it a bit more round and not so square and "boxy" so I'm not toe picking with all that steel in the front of my skate if that makes sense? Any recommendations of how I should go about doing that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would first suggest skating on them a few times and see if you can just adjust. If not then start by profiling them little by little until you find the sweet spot. I find benefit from the taller steel so give it a go before you just trim it down to normal LS2 height.

I agree with above. A lot of people prefer the taller steel, especially in the NHL it seems. I would at least try it out a while because once you profile it down theres no way to get that steel back without buying new ones. Not to mention another benefit is that the steel will last longer in the long run. I know it comes down to personal preference and what you're used to but I would at least give it a try. It's like people who use cheap wood/fibreglass sticks all their life, then try high end composite and think it's crap. The composite is definitely higher quality and better performance wise, just takes a little while to adjust.

Also I'm curious as to what the differences are with LS4 steel vs. LS3/LS2. Is it the same height as LS3? What makes it different, better quality?

From JR's catalog review:

"Bauer took a look at the microstructure of skate steel, and studied the grains for uniformity and consistency. The result from those findings were a 10% harder steel from LS3 - registering between 58-60 on the Rockwell hardness scale (for reference, LS3 is 53.) It is LS3 height, with a 10' radius and an emery finish. The profile is a bit more user-friendly than LS3 as well."

"Bauer took a look at the microstructure of skate steel, and studied the grains for uniformity and consistency. The result from those findings were a 10% harder steel from LS3 - registering between 58-60 on the Rockwell hardness scale (for reference, LS3 is 53.) It is LS3 height, with a 10' radius and an emery finish. The profile is a bit more user-friendly than LS3 as well."

Nice, good info. I wonder how it compares to the black edge finish. I personally only have experience with LS2. Also LS3 is 10' too right? Anyone have experience with 10' vs 9'? What's the advantages/disadvantages. Btw don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm curious.

Bigger as in more volume, then yes. I'm attributing that to the changes in the tongue between the APX2 and 1X.

I feel like they are fitting longer and a little wider, just based on what I have felt and what I have seen when people try them on. I just wanted to see if anyone else is noticing this.

I tried on them and MX3s at the Bauer Experience. Both 8D. Strangely the MX3 felt snugger than the 1X. The new tongue will add a bit more volume to them .

This is a bit disheartening; I was told the fit was the same as previous Vapor models, so I purchased without trying them on...I know it's a "no, no", but I have used XXX, XXXX, X:60, APX and APX2 and the fit was the same. So, for those saying they have more volume, is it to the point where one would have to size down a half step?

The fit follows the Vapor line. Everyone's feet are different so the only credible information you should consider in one-off testimonies like this is what Bauer says.

I have been really disappointed with the LS4 runners, I have had my 1X for a week and one of my runners snapped in two during just casual training session and I am not particularly hard on my skates.

hows the tongue different than on the APX2? i hope its not thinner.. on the APX1 it was crazy thin but my god.....i fell in love with the APX2 tongue......its so thick and comfortable.i hope they didnt reduce it in thickness.

and i hope the total volume of the boot is the same as the APX2..which was a perfect skate in my opinion.

Have to agree a bit with the people who said the fit is a little different. No matter what I did, I couldn't fit in the APX2's, however the 1X was a different story for me. Not sure if it was the tongue, or the addition of the Speed Plates, but the 1X was extremely comfortable for me, and I had no issues wearing them for the almost two hours I skated on them at a Bauer PK session.

Interesting, I had them on for that demo day too and they weren't different from previous Vapors. I would think it's the Speedplate holding your foot to its natural shape EBondo.

Has anyone else felt like the 1X skates are fitting bigger than the APX2's?

They feel exactly the same fit as my APX2s to me. I actually molded the speed plates to My APX2s the first day i got them because I had a championship game that night and didn't want to use the 1X since I never got to bake them or skate a couple hours to brake them in. Anyway the speed plates fit the same when i put them back into the 1X. I would say the 1x skates felt awesome after only about 90mins of skating time. The 1x are so light it feels like nothing even compared to my APX2s. The tongue is about the same thickness maybe just slightly thinner but it is shorter not as tall as the APX2s personally I liken the 1X tongue better and i really did like the apx2 tongue there is really nothing that i can complain about the 1X. as for the ls4 I haven't tried them yet I use the Ls2 with the blackedge coating on it so i popped them into the 1X since thats the steel I'm used to but I will try the LS4 eventually, i don't mind the extra height i used to skate on step blacksteel on my original APXs.

Just had some LS4's tested....64 Rockewell might explain that issue with blade snapping first game out? Could be a bad run. I was told they would be under 60 as well.

Just had some LS4's tested....64 Rockewell might explain that issue with blade snapping first game out? Could be a bad run. I was told they would be under 60 as well.

Is the higher the number the harder the steel?

Is the higher the number the harder the steel?

Sorry yes. anything over 60 will although hold an edge very well tends to be more brittle. My understanding was LS4 was to be around 58 to 60 so kinda right on the edge get it on the edge!!..LOL

I have been really disappointed with the LS4 runners, I have had my 1X for a week and one of my runners snapped in two during just casual training session and I am not particularly hard on my skates.

Out of curiosity, what size are your runners?

Out of curiosity, what size are your runners?

They were 272, anyone know much about the LS3 runners? bauer said they had no LS4 or fusion runners in stock so have sent the LS3 as a replacement. Not a huge fan of the LS4 and had fusion runners on my MX3's which I really liked.

They were 272, anyone know much about the LS3 runners? bauer said they had no LS4 or fusion runners in stock so have sent the LS3 as a replacement. Not a huge fan of the LS4 and had fusion runners on my MX3's which I really liked.

Well personally I think you will like the LS3 much better than Fusion just need to get it profiled as a LS4 or Fusion. You will be good to go.

From a sharpening point IMO LS3 is much nicer and easier to sharpen.

When I first got my MX3's, I thought they were too big, and fit bigger than the same size NXG's I had before. It was bad enough that I thought I needed to go down a half size. But after about 4 or 5 skates, they fit awesome. All of the slipping and looseness is gone. I attributed it to the Curv plates in the tongue breaking in and allowing more of a wrap on my foot. Maybe the issue with the 1X's will be the same.