Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

40oz2freedom28

Bauer 1X Skates

I recently got the 1X skate. It's comfortable on my feet, but i'm experiencing that the skate dosen't offer enough resistance when bending my knees and skating.

It's feels kinda like the tongue is to soft for me, making me bend too much forward and making it hard to get in a upright position again. Does this suggest that I should have gone with another skate, maybe the MX3? I just came from the Ribcore and thinking about switching the tongue on to the 1X - anybody think that could do the trick?

I recently got the 1X skate. It's comfortable on my feet, but i'm experiencing that the skate dosen't offer enough resistance when bending my knees and skating.

It's feels kinda like the tongue is to soft for me, making me bend too much forward and making it hard to get in a upright position again. Does this suggest that I should have gone with another skate, maybe the MX3? I just came from the Ribcore and thinking about switching the tongue on to the 1X - anybody think that could do the trick?

Technically Easton and VH designers would tell you that there shouldn't be any resistance from your skate when you bend your knees and ankles in the act of skating. How big is your upper body if its hard to stand up? What kind of weight you carrying around? 0.o Not to mention the context of coming from a "softer" skate in the Ribcore.........strange.

I experienced the same feeling coming from x100s (with traditional eyelets) to the 1x with the injected stability eyelets. From looking at the two skates side-by-side, it looks like the new eyelet system is slightly further forward than the traditional eyelets, particularly the top couple of eyelets. As a result, the laces are further away from your ankle when standing up straight, regardless of how tight you crank the laces.

For me, they just took a bit of getting used to. I definitely found the tighter I tied the skate, the worse it felt. Once I loosened off the laces I got used to them within a few skates.

Technically Easton and VH designers would tell you that there shouldn't be any resistance from your skate when you bend your knees and ankles in the act of skating. How big is your upper body if its hard to stand up? What kind of weight you carrying around? 0.o Not to mention the context of coming from a "softer" skate in the Ribcore.........strange.

Well i'm kinda slim for my height, so no real problem there. It's more a feeling of sinking forward, then standing straight. I think Stuey explains it better with the ankle being "locked" in more.

I experienced the same feeling coming from x100s (with traditional eyelets) to the 1x with the injected stability eyelets. From looking at the two skates side-by-side, it looks like the new eyelet system is slightly further forward than the traditional eyelets, particularly the top couple of eyelets. As a result, the laces are further away from your ankle when standing up straight, regardless of how tight you crank the laces.

For me, they just took a bit of getting used to. I definitely found the tighter I tied the skate, the worse it felt. Once I loosened off the laces I got used to them within a few skates.

That sound about right. I also try to compensate by tighten the skate harder, will try tighten them normal then and see if that helps - thanks!

Did your speed plates fit from the start? In the left skate, it's perfect. But in the right skate, the plate seems to big, giving a feeling of it pushing upwards. I thought maybe it was my foot, but then I warmed the skates, I had a problem fitting the speed plate properly in the same skate, it would't fall in place quite right.

Well i'm kinda slim for my height, so no real problem there. It's more a feeling of sinking forward, then standing straight. I think Stuey explains it better with the ankle being "locked" in more.

That sound about right. I also try to compensate by tighten the skate harder, will try tighten them normal then and see if that helps - thanks!

Did your speed plates fit from the start? In the left skate, it's perfect. But in the right skate, the plate seems to big, giving a feeling of it pushing upwards. I thought maybe it was my foot, but then I warmed the skates, I had a problem fitting the speed plate properly in the same skate, it would't fall in place quite right.

I had the speed plates molded when I first baked the skates, however they didn't feel quite right. I re-molded the speed plates at home and they felt great.

I've since stopped using them though as the edge of the insole along the inside of my foot was causing me a bit of pain and a lot of hard skin build up. Swapped them out for my old x100 insoles.

I've had the 1x skates for about 2 months now.. I find that the tongue is quite thin as well and that when you lace these up the bottom 3 or 4 eyelets don't have quite enough tension on the top of my foot even when you crank them down tight. I'm thinking about replacing the tongue with a 1/2 Felt custom tongue from Georges Hockey repair in MN - http://www.hockeyrepair.com/gallery.html

I am hoping this will help with the "volume" issue and add more support over the top of my foot.

On 5/8/2015 at 8:15 AM, psulion22 said:

When I first got my MX3's, I thought they were too big, and fit bigger than the same size NXG's I had before. It was bad enough that I thought I needed to go down a half size. But after about 4 or 5 skates, they fit awesome. All of the slipping and looseness is gone. I attributed it to the Curv plates in the tongue breaking in and allowing more of a wrap on my foot. Maybe the issue with the 1X's will be the same.

Have you felt it breaking in more?  I have the 1x and went a size down... But also went EE...I feel the skates are just a weeee too big still.... Now looking for ways to have the boot pull my heel down (as I have a tad bit of lift).  Any info helps thank you

19 minutes ago, Sotacal said:

Have you felt it breaking in more?  I have the 1x and went a size down... But also went EE...I feel the skates are just a weeee too big still.... Now looking for ways to have the boot pull my heel down (as I have a tad bit of lift).  Any info helps thank you

I don't know that they have broken in more than after the first maybe 10 skates.  But they definitely do wrap and form fit the best of any skates I have had.  I am very, very happy with the MX3s.

If you're still getting heel lift, you may want to bake them again and really tap your heel back when fitting.  Or look into something to fill that space like a superfeet insole or Stable 26 socks.

I bought the Bauer 1X LE last week and have used them 5 times. They seem a little wider and longer than my X7.0's in the exact same size. Are they acutally longer or do I need more time on the ice? My left skate is pretty decent, but my right skate is loosens up quite a bit and my heel lock isn't that great. 

Could get a good deal on 1x's. Otherwise good fit but got a hot spot inside foot, right below 4th and 5th eyelet. Can't try them on baked so would baking help or perhaps punching? Is punching even an option right below the injected lacing system stitching?