Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal

Oggie Grips Still Available

Has anyone been able to communicate with Oggie Grips recently? I'm down to a couple well worn grips now and both are beyond where they have usually broken in the past. But the oggiegrip website is down and the email I have seems to be down too.

Last time I talked to Joe, I thought he said they were low or out of the old grips but they were making custom grips. I will see if I can dig up the info when I get home.

I tried to get a hold of him a month or two ago about getting another batch of custom grips and he never responded.... Hope he's still making them, I'd love to get 3 or 4 more

A friend of mine is pretty close to him and last I heard he's only doing custom Grips for the Pro's right now.

Interesting, thanks for letting me know. Joe should probably drop the Facebook page or at least update it with that information if that is the case. No need advertising and having potential non-pro customers reaching out if that option isn't being pursued.

I love my Oggie grips and wish he was still making them. He was supposed to make me a custom grip last year and we were going back and forth through email but nothing ever shipped to me and i haven't been able to get a hold of him since. There was some talk about him releasing a new retail product but nothing ever came of that either. If anyone gets a hold of him please ask about the new retail version.

I'm letting my buddy know to pass this message on and that there are people looking for Joe. If I hear anything back I'll let you know.

We've generally visited with his family each summer. Last summer, he sounded like he wants to focus on the custom grips, and maybe even just making custom grips for NHLers. I got the impression he'd like the custom program working seamlessly, possibly to the point he could ask some NHLers for testimonials on the product. At that point, I believe he would reintroduce the stock products.

He also has dreams of producing hockey sticks, because he said it's shocking the inconsistency he finds in flexes, and he feels he could fix that problem.

We've generally visited with his family each summer. Last summer, he sounded like he wants to focus on the custom grips, and maybe even just making custom grips for NHLers. I got the impression he'd like the custom program working seamlessly, possibly to the point he could ask some NHLers for testimonials on the product. At that point, I believe he would reintroduce the stock products.

He also has dreams of producing hockey sticks, because he said it's shocking the inconsistency he finds in flexes, and he feels he could fix that problem.

My buddy who knows him had said the exact same thing about focusing on the custom grips. From what I had heard he had a lot of NHLers using his product this year.

My buddy who knows him had said the exact same thing about focusing on the custom grips. From what I had heard he had a lot of NHLers using his product this year.

Joe's had a bit of quandary marketing his product from day one. Most of us who have taken the plunge -- i.e., willing to cut six inches off our sticks -- have loved the grips and don't want to go back. But he realized that it's easier to sell sports equipments when the pros use the products. A few NHLers and minor players (I know Shane Doan and Bates Battaglia used the Ergos) tried the products, but they're much pickier, which I think is what led to the custom program. Because he's implied he has to make multiple samples for a player, I assume he's adjusting the grip and flex.

The problem from a marketing perspective, however, is nobody knows. If a NHLer tapes the top of his stick with black tape in a criss cross pattern with white stripes in the middle, Joe will make it that way. So if the camera scans the sticks behind the bench, nothing looks different.

He's said at some point he'll ask the guys for endorsements or testimonials, but my guess is he's waiting until he gets more users.

Another issue I see is that many Hockey players now do not even think about putting in an extension onto their sticks. I tell many youth parents...that hey just buy an extension plug and your kid can either get more time with the stick, or have a back-up that fits them still.

With Shafts and blades further dissappearing I see it adding to the problem of marketability. One angle would be to sell to those who want a more flexible stick and instead of cutting, adding to a sticks length. Sorta goofy, but some may be inclines to pull the end plug and reuse, as then they dont have to retape AND they should'nt have as much glove wear from the tape glue rubbing on the palm.

Not sure about the availability, but they appear to be available still on the website for South Windsor Arenas website (hockey1.com)

The relevant part of Joe's response to my email:

"We are making customs for all players. The grips are all newly redesigned and we also have a new ergo grip offered. They are now available for youth, junior, intermediate, and senior sticks. Email is team@oggiegrip.com"

"We are making customs for all players. The grips are all newly redesigned and we also have a new ergo grip offered. They are now available for youth, junior, intermediate, and senior sticks. Email is team@oggiegrip.com"

Well that's some amazing news!!

If they are crafting some for pros, there would have to be some that are rejected, I think. Maybe they are available for us?

I emailed and called. No response from anyone yet. You got me all excited for new ergo grips. You sure this info is accurate?