Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollison97

step steel velocity vs blacksteel

I'm buying new runners for my ccm u + ultra lite pro's on Monday and want to know which runners to get. I'm 46 years old 6'1' 208 I play 2-3 times a week. Any ideas guys? Thanks

Money's not a problem Jimmy... my skating speed is the problem now! Lol I got my old runners cut with a FBV (flat bottom V) today and WOW they felt great! My skate guy said the chrome are real good but, didn't know much about the blacksteel. Are there any negatives you know of?

6-1 208, you should be fast.

5-11 236 here

Play a bit with the radius or whatever the 9-10-11 foot thing to balance speed and agility.

Or just be happy being old and slow like me.

I'm happy to still be playing that's for sure and I will look into trying new profiling with the new runners. I'm still kinda fast in the over 40 league... but, my Sunday games I play with mostly 20somethings. It make me play in position that's for sure! Lol

There are no downsides to the blacksteel. I've personally converted a a heap of players from stock steels to the blacksteel and they all swear they will never use any other steel again.

The Velo's are certainly better than standard runners but pale in comparison to the Blacksteels. DLC coatings are extremely tough and have a finer edge due to the carbon mixed with the diamonds. So, a finer edge has less resistance and will glide better. Will a 40yo beer league guy notice, probably not, but here's the kicker, a DLC coated blade is extremely hard to nick and scratch during play. A blade with less nicks and abrasions will glide smoother. I've seen Blacksteel that had over a year of heavy skating and they looked like they did the day they were new. Conversly, the Velos look nice when new, however they scratch and nick easily, and the polished area where the edges meet the ice is removed by required honing, essentially defeating the advantage over regular steel. A black runner almost never needs honing so it retains it's performance benefits throuout it's life, which is much longer than other runners as it doesn't require sharpening as often.

The Velo's are certainly better than standard runners but pale in comparison to the Blacksteels. DLC coatings are extremely tough and have a finer edge due to the carbon mixed with the diamonds. So, a finer edge has less resistance and will glide better. Will a 40yo beer league guy notice, probably not, but here's the kicker, a DLC coated blade is extremely hard to nick and scratch during play. A blade with less nicks and abrasions will glide smoother. I've seen Blacksteel that had over a year of heavy skating and they looked like they did the day they were new. Conversly, the Velos look nice when new, however they scratch and nick easily, and the polished area where the edges meet the ice is removed by required honing, essentially defeating the advantage over regular steel. A black runner almost never needs honing so it retains it's performance benefits throuout it's life, which is much longer than other runners as it doesn't require sharpening as often.

@jimmy

Sorry to hijack this a bit, but does Blacksteel come in 230 for the CXN holder? I can't seem to find carbon coated steel for such a small boot size =(

@jimmy

Sorry to hijack this a bit, but does Blacksteel come in 230 for the CXN holder? I can't seem to find carbon coated steel for such a small boot size =(

We have down to size 238 in stock, I'm guessing STEP never made the smaller sizes, could be because first year makos were not made in the real small sizes.

blacksteel best runner ever. I had them on my APXs the only thing i didn't like about my APX2s is i couldn't use them with the EDGE holder i considered having LS2 holder put on the APX2s thats how much better these runners are I had the velocity runners before the blacksteel came out and the blacksteel are even better also have a mirrored finish like the velo's but a stronger edge. Pretty much every thing jimmy said was bang on.