Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
flyers10

Powerfoot performance inserts

I maintain a huge "stock" of all types of padding and all sorts of other shit salvaged from old equipment and routinely come up with DIY solutions for teammates (and opponents in my league) with injuries, especially those resulting from vulnerable areas in their gear. Pretty much every goalie I've played with and against in the last 8 years is wearing something I created, most recently, supplemental L-shaped internal padding for the thumb and forefinger for one whose catching glove hand I dinged through his glove and another whose $700 OTNY cage attachment I broke when it popped the whole screw/nut assembly through the mask shell one month after the warranty expired. For him, I made a larger padded steel grommet that salvaged the whole mask. So I immediately made a pair of these for myself back when this thread first came up and can definitely vouch for the concept. Filling in that space above my toes immediately made my skates feel more like part of my foot and improved my cross-unders and toe flick; and I've glued them into every pair of my skates. If I didn't happen to have a ton of various equipment materials just waiting to be made into something exactly like this, I'd have bought a pair of these immediately. 

Edited by YesLanges

1 hour ago, YesLanges said:

I maintain a huge "stock" of all types of padding and all sorts of other shit salvaged from old equipment and routinely come up with DIY solutions for teammates (and opponents in my league) with injuries, especially those resulting from vulnerable areas in their gear. Pretty much every goalie I've played with and against in the last 8 years is wearing something I created, most recently, supplemental L-shaped internal padding for the thumb and forefinger for one whose catching glove hand I dinged through his glove and another whose $700 OTNY cage attachment I broke when it popped the whole screw/nut assembly through the mask shell one month after the warranty expired. For him, I made a larger padded steel grommet that salvaged the whole mask. So I immediately made a pair of these for myself back when this thread first came up and can definitely vouch for the concept. Filling in that space above my toes immediately made my skates feel more like part of my foot and improved my cross-unders and toe flick; and I've glued them into every pair of my skates. If I didn't happen to have a ton of various equipment materials just waiting to be made into something exactly like this, I'd have bought a pair of these immediately. 

Having tons of spare parts lying about along with mad DIY skills is always a handy thing…and great to know your DIY Powerfeets worked out for you 😁👏

30 minutes ago, pokechecks said:

Having tons of spare parts lying about along with mad DIY skills is always a handy thing…and great to know your DIY Powerfeets worked out for you 😁👏

Thanks. I wouldn't consider my skills "mad" by any stretch: I got a drill, pliers, metal snippers, files, c-clamps, glues and solvents, and a few different hacksaws; but I use a couple of "Champion" Swiss Army Knives more than anything else. It's much more about just having some version of almost everything and creativity for re-purposing shit. I'm a little OCD about never throwing out anything that "could" conceivably be useful "someday" for "something." About the only way I'm comfortable getting rid of anything is finding another home for it, like a goddamned cat hoarder, only for old hockey shit. Some of my best ideas required no actual work, at all: Those soccer shin guards make incredibly good outside/inside lower leg supplemental protection for goalies (and shot-blocking skaters); and two different teammates weren't going to play at all because of broken ribs (at different times) that were still healing until I dug up some thigh-pad inserts from an old pair of pants whose contours fit rib cages so perfectly they couldn't feel a not-that-soft hook right to the ribs with one of them stuffed under a compression shirt...and those smaller side thigh pant pads under compression shorts make awesome inner thigh guards for goalies. 

Edited by YesLanges

For my powerfeet, I just put doubled overbasic packing tape on the back. Easy to remove and put back and reposition, and if the adhesive wears off, I can afford to reapply the tape.