Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PeteyPOP

Bauers New Skate Eyelets for MX3's and 1X's - Good? Bad?

Just wondering if anyone has any input on Bauer's new skate eyelet system they have on the 1x's and MX3's?

I like the concept, but my only worry is what happens if you pull through one of the eyelet holes?

Can these be repaired, and have a traditional single eyelet installed?

I typically need to replace a couple of eyelets through the life of a pair of skates.

Thanks in advance!

KP

I personally love them!

I've had APX2's and now MX3's. No need to worry about eyelets popping out from glue.

The MX3's and 1X have the lock lace on the 4th and 5th eyelet and I love it. Keeps your foot/ankle locked in place. Just make sure you're using thick wide laces, doesn't have to be waxed to utilize the locking mechanism.

Just wondering if anyone has any input on Bauer's new skate eyelet system they have on the 1x's and MX3's?

I like the concept, but my only worry is what happens if you pull through one of the eyelet holes?

Can these be repaired, and have a traditional single eyelet installed?

I typically need to replace a couple of eyelets through the life of a pair of skates.

Thanks in advance!

KP

Just think of the construction of the eyelets like the holes in your skate holders. There is no eyelet to pull through like a traditional style one.

That being said, I haven't seen any of these eyelets break yet. If it breaks/cracks are we pretty much out of luck once the warranty period expires? I'm skating in the 1X right now.

Only had one customer break thru 2 of them. Boot loses support when they break. Love the concept though, wish all manufacturers got rid of eyelets.

Seen a few buddies of mine that broke eyelets on the MX3 skates after blocking shots. I don't think there is any need to worry about the eyelets breaking down from natural causes but if something unexpected happens like a puck hitting it at a weird angle, they will crack.

Only had one customer break thru 2 of them. Boot loses support when they break. Love the concept though, wish all manufacturers got rid of eyelets.

The voids in the injected lacing system are still eyelets though, right? They just don't have grommets reinforcing them.

I'd be curious to try it, but I've never been keen on Bauer's boots. I think Graf's recipe for facing or eyestay with good wrap is perfect, especially when paired with their waxed laces. I'd love my MLX if they had a similar firm elasticity.

The voids in the injected lacing system are still eyelets though, right? They just don't have grommets reinforcing them.

I'd be curious to try it, but I've never been keen on Bauer's boots. I think Graf's recipe for facing or eyestay with good wrap is perfect, especially when paired with their waxed laces. I'd love my MLX if they had a similar firm elasticity.

They are molded openings,not eyelets per say. As you mentioned, the only thing I don't like about them is the foot wrap isn't so great. They should have pre curved the mold, as it is they are straight up and do not curl over.

They are molded openings,not eyelets per say. As you mentioned, the only thing I don't like about them is the foot wrap isn't so great. They should have pre curved the mold, as it is they are straight up and do not curl over.

The Supremes are curved. Vapor isn't.

The Supremes are curved. Vapor isn't.

Strange - that's a really important part. Why on earth are they just curved on Supreme but not Vapor?

Strange - that's a really important part. Why on earth are they just curved on Supreme but not Vapor?

On my 1X skates it seems like they have a slight curve on the toe or ball of your foot region and they are straight when it starts to curve up towards your ankle. When I lace up the first 5 eyelets definitely wrap and the top 5 are straight. I heard Bauer say they think you get better forward flex from the top being straight.

From JR's catalog review:

"The injected facing has also been tweaked on 1X. It has a bit more wrap to it - more than APX2, but not as much as Supreme. And the lace lock eyelets that is on the MX3 is now on 1X, but only on the 3rd and 4th eyelet from the top."

From JR's catalog review:

"The injected facing has also been tweaked on 1X. It has a bit more wrap to it - more than APX2, but not as much as Supreme. And the lace lock eyelets that is on the MX3 is now on 1X, but only on the 3rd and 4th eyelet from the top."

its actually the 4th and 5th eyelet from the top and they do work well

Was a tourney at the rink this weekend and a guy brought his kid's (16yo) skate in to the shop, wanted me to glue his broken molded eyelet just to get him thru the tournement. Rather than glue which prob wouldn't work, I just installed a regular eyelet in the hole. I asked how it broke and he said he blocked a shot. In the years this system has been out, I've ony seen a few break and they've all been in last month. I'm wondering if the plastic gets brittle over time.

So can the skates with broken eyelets still be used?! Especially when one of 3-5 eyelets is cracked?

If not can the eyelets be repaired?

You can replace broken ones with traditional eyelets, as show in this video:

However, not every skateshop will do this, as it is way more work than replacing a traditional eyelet.

Agreed, I live in an area where I would be SOL if one was to break or rip  (seen this a few times) from a skate blade. With that being said; Any engineered piece of equipment is intended to only work as well as its weakest link. I couldn't imagine a half ass (traditional eyelet)  fix on this to be a long term solution and other issues not happening after the fact.  I love the concept and applaud Bauer, however I don't think that its quite perfected yet.

7 hours ago, A2rhino said:

Agreed, I live in an area where I would be SOL if one was to break or rip  (seen this a few times) from a skate blade. With that being said; Any engineered piece of equipment is intended to only work as well as its weakest link. I couldn't imagine a half ass (traditional eyelet)  fix on this to be a long term solution and other issues not happening after the fact.  I love the concept and applaud Bauer, however I don't think that its quite perfected yet.

I've had an eyelet from an X:60 ripped as-well, and my local EQM fixed it for me by inserting a plastic piece along both sides of the skate material and that also covers the surrounding eyelets (he replaced those as-well). The skate is going very strong multiple seasons now (its my main outdoor inline skate), so I think that approach will work with this one as-well - as you can see in the Video they replace 3 molded eyelets due one of the being broken, and t hey add additional material.

unfortunately most shops won't have a sewing machine that can handle that type of work. It's not a question of the repair being labor intensive as much as it's not wanting to have $6K + tied up in a machine that wont get much use unless it's a shop that specializes in repairs. 

so durability concerns aside (as I believe Bauer has a lifetime warranty of the injected lacing system replacing the boot if the lacing breaks) how does the community feel about the main advertised benefits of the integrated lacing system ie better energy transfer and flex?

I only laced it up in store and it felt very stiff and not very comfortable - flexing as a unit vs with the traditional eyelets the boots seems to flex more uniformly as each eyelet is independent (unless reinforced for customs with a plastic insert and still felt more comfortable)?

Also since we're on the topic how does the community feel about the benefits of the added height of the edge holder? is it worth trading proven technologies such as blackedge which does provide better glide/bite as comparing with the traditional steel?

On May 17, 2015 at 8:49 AM, jimmy said:

In the years this system has been out, I've ony seen a few break and they've all been in last month. I'm wondering if the plastic gets brittle over time.

On June 12, 2016 at 11:59 AM, A2rhino said:

I love the concept and applaud Bauer, however I don't think that its quite perfected yet.

The cynic in me thinks that having an integral part of an $800 skate that breaks after 2 years, forcing you to buy a new pair, means that they've totally perfected it...

Kind of like selling the skate with aluminum alloy steel that needs to be replaced almost immediately upon purchase, but you can only buy new runners from that company.