Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stonewall35

RBZ Skate model comparison - 80 v. 90

I've had my eye on the RBZ's as they have been on sale and after checking them out at a local shop I'm even more interested. 8D feels like it would be perfect after baking.

The available sizes allowed me the opportunity to try on the 90's, but not the 80's. Just going by squeezing it seemed as though the 90's were ever so slightly more stiff all around, but other than the obvious exterior material difference (golf ball v. composite), the differences look minor. I am wondering what the practical difference would be between them- anybody have experience with one or both of these with some insight which might sway one way or the other?

Well your timing is great for me, I was going to ask a very similar question as I am looking at both the RBZ 80 and 90 myself because my LHS has them marked down.

My question to add to this is, does the 90 mold to the foot better than the 80? The 90's specs say it has " Active Form", does that do a better job than what the 80's have ? Also, how much length does baking add to the skate once the foot is molded into the heel?

To me the 90's feel somewhat stiffer, not a huge amount but enough to consider. If I read it correctly JR mentioned in his intial thread on the RBZ that the baking material in the skate got stiffer after baking, so does that mean both skates will become more stiff after baking, or just the higher end RBZ's? The tendon guard on the 90's is also stiffer than that on the 80's to my hands.

Thanks as always to anyone who can shed some light.

I thoroughly suggest you both steer towards the RBZ90 because (and I'm assuming they're both marked down proportionately from their regular price) for the extra step, you're getting better value in terms of stiffness and performance. My store had great success with our SMU based upon the RBZ90, and many customers commented how when new in box, it was hard to justify the RBZ's $700 price tag vs that of the 90.

It will also mold very well.

Baking adds no length, but depending on how your foot is, the positioning of it (especially if you have wider feet) may allow it to sit more naturally (thus, less cramped, which some may attribute to length).

It's not that the skate becomes stiffer after baking, it's that it cools down from it's soft malleable state once baked.

Also, be sure to get fitted properly for these, because they are quite wide and you would have to drop down at least a half size from your regular skate size.

Thanks for the info. Regarding durability- most of what I've read on here was about stitching and eyelets on the flagship, but in your experience how was the durability on the 90's been? Anyone complaining?

Put it this way; nothing that particularly steers towards or away from those sentiments.

Considering yourself though, how tough are you on your skates? How heavy are you? How strong of a skater? How often per week? What do you expect out of a new pair of skates regarding longevity?

Also, be sure to get fitted properly for these, because they are quite wide and you would have to drop down at least a half size from your regular skate size.

I am dropping a half size from my RBK 28's, and could even go a full size if I was looking for a "really" tight fit length wise. Thank you for your expertise AIREAYE !

You're very welcome!

Like you, I could drop down a full size from my Brannock size due to how well my heel has sunk back, the fact that it is wide for me and that I curl my toes slightly when exerting. I measure a 7.5 'standard' size with a very wide forefoot, and wear 7EE RBZ. Could go down to 6.5EE.

Not sure where you're located, but the top of the line RBZ is currently on clearance at National Sports for $299.99. I've seen the RBZ 90 at Sportchek for around $220, so IMHO it's worth the extra $80 to get the RBZ.

So I am about 190 lbs, skate twice a week at a low intermideate level, would the 90 be too stiff? Does the 80 bake/ mold as well as the 90, or close? The 90 seems stiffer than my 28k's, which seem a bit stiffer than the 80's. I am going back to the LHS after work tonight to get one of them. Both were the only pairs in my size so I hope someone else didn't make my decision for me? I won't spend their time trying them on and then buy online.

6 feet, 215; play twice a week at best these days but at least once for sure. I'd be looking to get a least a couple of years out of a pair skates, and hopefully more. I'd say I'm a decent skater- Currently using some Vapor XXXX's for the last year that I was able to steal on ebay practically brand new. The stiffness is good on those but the imperfect fit is what has got me looking.

how's rbz heel width compared to rbk (14k) ? is the sizing also the same? im using 7D in rbk.

The answer is literally a few posts up...

So I am about 190 lbs, skate twice a week at a low intermideate level, would the 90 be too stiff? Does the 80 bake/ mold as well as the 90, or close? The 90 seems stiffer than my 28k's, which seem a bit stiffer than the 80's. I am going back to the LHS after work tonight to get one of them. Both were the only pairs in my size so I hope someone else didn't make my decision for me? I won't spend their time trying them on and then buy online.

That stiffness level should work well for you in the 90s.

I just bought a pair of RBZ 90's back in Feb and have been loving them so far. I'm about 185 lbs and skate about 2 times per week on average. No issues with durability yet but I haven't had them that long.

I was coming from 18K's (which I also liked but converted to roller). I never skated in the 80's but just from feeling them at the store the 90's felt significantly stiffer and due to that I felt the 90's would last longer before breaking down. Just my two cents....

I just bought a pair of RBZ 90's back in Feb and have been loving them so far. I'm about 185 lbs and skate about 2 times per week on average. No issues with durability yet but I haven't had them that long.

I was coming from 18K's (which I also liked but converted to roller). I never skated in the 80's but just from feeling them at the store the 90's felt significantly stiffer and due to that I felt the 90's would last longer before breaking down. Just my two cents....

what's the size of your rbz90 coming from 18k? is it the same or 1/2 size down?

what's the size of your rbz90 coming from 18k? is it the same or 1/2 size down?

1/2 size down for RBZ. I was 6.5D in 18K and a 6.0D in the RBZ 90

Went with the 90's and finally got out on the ice with them- great skate. I'm going to like these for sure. Not to be a brand honk, but are the insoles worth checking out? I threw my superfeet's in for my first skate and kind of felt like they were lifting my heel up and out of the pocket unnecessarily. I've really only used the superfeet for the arch support I feel I get. My understanding is the CCM insoles are not heel aligning like the superfeet, but instead just arch supporting. Anyone have any experience?

That is correct. If you do a search, there are a few discussions regarding the differences, but you essentially seem to understand.

Bringing this thread back to life

I did go back to my LHS with the intent of buying the 90's. They were gone! Tried on the 80's they had in my size. I laced the un-baked skates up pretty tight and spent some extra time with them on my right foot, walking sitting, etc. I didn't buy them (yet?) because the right skate started causing just a bit of discomfort on the side of my arch. Not the bottom, but the side of the skate felt pretty tight against the side of my arch. Now my right foot gets arch pain in Bauer Supremes with the stock insole. I have only been able to wear Supremes if I took that insole out and stuck a flat Odor-Eater insole in. I know it is an un-baked skate, the RBZ line is known for being pretty moldable, and I tied them up tighter than I may have to if they were baked and molded well to my foot. But I am a little concerned about buying skates that throw up a red flag to me. The question is will the RBZ 80's molding ability along the side of the mid-foot fix this ?

PS. I didn't notice this as much in the 90's partly because my feet are slightly different in length and I first try to fit to the longer left foot, so I didn't really lace the right one up hard, and I didn't give it the serious longer test fit ( the I am ready to buy these so I need to be sure fitting). Had the 90's still been there they may well have been in the same boat.

As always thanks for any opinions !

Well, jeez, that's really hard to say. Everyone is different. Have you asked the shop if they could bake one skate for you to try? Consider insoles? We can't really give you a good opinion over the internet...

They don't want to bake before purchase since they are discounting them. I could go back and take an insole that has worked with the Supremes and see if that helps. Thank you for that suggestion. I know it has been mentioned multiple times that the RBZ is a very moldable skate, and it is also a skate that a number of people have, so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had a before and after story that could help make my decision.

Saying "We can't really give you a good opinion over the internet..." seems kinda strange to me as that is exactly the reason why most forums even exist. People asking questions, people sharing their opinions and experiences about whatever the forum's topics are. I appreciate the advice you have given to all of us here in the past ( and even on this thread), that comment just struck me as kind of odd.

Sorry, let me rephrase. Your situation is unique enough pertaining to fit that if you were to hypothetically get a bag of opinions, I'd predict that they'd be so mixed that you won't be able to draw any meaningful conclusion out of it. The 80 probably won't mold any better or worse than other skates at that price point, and as we're not talking higher end models, it makes it that much more difficult.

Feet and skates are very fickle things, it's very tough to assess properly what may or may not work. You'll have to try a bunch of things that we suggested here.

Another thing that occurred to me just now; is the arch pressure from the sides spread relatively evenly? Or is it a pressure point on your navicular bone?