Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stonewall35

RBZ Skate model comparison - 80 v. 90

Bringing this thread back to life

I did go back to my LHS with the intent of buying the 90's. They were gone! Tried on the 80's they had in my size. I laced the un-baked skates up pretty tight and spent some extra time with them on my right foot, walking sitting, etc. I didn't buy them (yet?) because the right skate started causing just a bit of discomfort on the side of my arch. Not the bottom, but the side of the skate felt pretty tight against the side of my arch. Now my right foot gets arch pain in Bauer Supremes with the stock insole. I have only been able to wear Supremes if I took that insole out and stuck a flat Odor-Eater insole in. I know it is an un-baked skate, the RBZ line is known for being pretty moldable, and I tied them up tighter than I may have to if they were baked and molded well to my foot. But I am a little concerned about buying skates that throw up a red flag to me. The question is will the RBZ 80's molding ability along the side of the mid-foot fix this ?

PS. I didn't notice this as much in the 90's partly because my feet are slightly different in length and I first try to fit to the longer left foot, so I didn't really lace the right one up hard, and I didn't give it the serious longer test fit ( the I am ready to buy these so I need to be sure fitting). Had the 90's still been there they may well have been in the same boat.

As always thanks for any opinions !

I went out and bought the RBZ 100's over the Memorial Day sale weekend and experienced the same sensation of the boot pushing into my arch. It wasn't unbearable and the clerk told me that from his experience, once this skate is baked, the fit is pretty much perfection. Being that this was like a 700 dollar skate and it was on sale for less than 200 bucks out the door, I figured I'd give it a try. So I bought them and had them baked and the clerk nailed it. It was almost like a Transformer, the boot completely remolded itself to my foot perfectly. Didn't know a hockey skate could fit like that unless you went the custom route. The only hiccup (if you can call it that) is that the holder and steel felt foreign to me the first few times I skated on them. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I'm contemplating having the Tuuk holders from my Vapors put on these RBZ's. I've seen quite a few NHL players run that combo, and while I am in no way shape or form near good enough to even compare to those abilities, I figure if it works for them, it might work for me.

Another thing that occurred to me just now; is the arch pressure from the sides spread relatively evenly? Or is it a pressure point on your navicular bone?

Sorry for the delay in responding, I had family in town last week and wanted to try the skates on again so I could describe exatly where the were tight. It is not on the navicular bone but on the arch, in line with the 5th eyelet from the toe.

Thanks Minigreek for sharing your experience. I'm looking at 80's so they may not mold quite as well, but like you the pressure isn't off the chain bad. I'm thinking I'll get them. I skate on 28K's right now so I am used to the new holder, although the RBZ's have a shorter holder due to the size down between the RBZ and the RBK skates.