Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killcitystatic

Skate Guards vs Cloth Covers

I never have to walk on my skates other than from the room to the bench, so no need for skate guards. I've considered them though for my goalie skates so I can practice some things on the carpet at home though.

Generally prefer cloth covers though. I still wipe my skates and runners down after every use. I guess it's just one less thing to rust, really :)

First thing I buy for new skates are the skate guards from Elite (or same product from different manufacturers). They have a re-enforced sole plus a groove that the skate blade sits in very securely, and the outside nylon is still ok to wipe your skates off with.

I use the same ones that gosinger does.

Honestly, you won't use them 99% of the time, but you'll love them the one time you're at a tourney, and have to take an emergency dump in a restroom with concrete floors.

I use them no to walk on, but to soak up the water off the skate (even though I wipe them)

as well to protect my other gear from getting cut when in the bag (my bag doesn't have dedicated skate pockets)

I don't walk around in my skate guards (cloth) but I do keep them on until my pants are on because I put pants on after skates and teh guards help keep my pants from getting cut.

as for which one is best if you're talking plastic or cloth, cloth because, imo plastic/rubber guards are for figure skaters.

I don't walk around in my skate guards (cloth) but I do keep them on until my pants are on because I put pants on after skates and teh guards help keep my pants from getting cut.

as for which one is best if you're talking plastic or cloth, cloth because, imo plastic/rubber guards are for figure skaters.

^ Exactly this. I put my pants on after my skates as well.

Cloth. Takes away the moisture away from the holder and runner. First dry with a towel then slap the cloth guard on.

I use cloth as I don't need to walk around anywhere other than from locker room to rink and vice versa. Then I also wipe down my blades after being on the ice, let them air dry, and put them in my bag. So the only reason I use the cloth covers is to protect my bag and/or other gear from being cut. For a long while I was actually just placing the thigh opening of my socks over the blades and then placing them in my bag because I was to lazy to buy new cloth covers.

I use them no to walk on, but to soak up the water off the skate (even though I wipe them)

as well to protect my other gear from getting cut when in the bag (my bag doesn't have dedicated skate pockets)

My exact same use. I use Elite.