Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

We have settled on these:

https://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/125179/champro-featherweight-tube-style-socks-pair.html

They are as thin or thinner than dress socks, come up over your calf, and just over $3/pair (or just over $2/pair if you buy by the dozen).  They last a long time.

We tried Thinees.  For me they were too short, I like over the calf.  My son wore them a bit longer but they are expensive, not as thin as other options, and piled a lot.

Edited by BenBreeg

I picked up a pair of these a couple of months ago (thanks to targeted ads that got me 🤬) and honestly I'm beyond happy with them.  They're on thge thinner side but do have some extra material in certain areas and also offer some compression, they also offer a cut resistant version if that's something that interests you.  I was skeptical but seeing how Peter Forsberg was involved I decided to give it a try (he's got a pretty good track record with products, even if his other major product is hideous and I'd never wear them... Crocs).

https://aycane.com/en-us/collections/socks/products/powerlight-socks

• Like 1

I can't get used to Thinnies and have been using the Bauer low-cut skate socks now for several years. They are the happy medium for me between Thinnies and normal socks.

I like the Bauer socks overall but I will say that I've owned Bauer socks from 2015 (black, blue and silver) and 2017 (red and black) and I find the current season Bauer socks are not of the same quality as years prior. I bought 3 pairs and for two socks they developed holes along the bottom portion of the leg within the first couple times using them from pulling the sock up and the sock ripped and the small holes formed. I don't think the material they are using is of the same quality and durability of years past. 

I’ve been using Darn Tough ultra thin running socks for years. They’re a bit speedy at $20 a pair, but the wool doesn’t stink, they’re thin without being paper thing, super durable, and Darn Tough has a lifetime replacement (which I haven’t had to use)

https://darntough.com/collections/mens-running-socks/products/mens-merino-wool-run-micro-crew-ultra-lightweight-running-socks

I've been using some zero cushion ski socks from Smartwool lately. Excellent socks. 

JMO ski socks are better at being skate socks than most skate socks. Way more variety too.

On 10/22/2022 at 10:04 AM, xstartxtodayx said:

I picked up a pair of these a couple of months ago (thanks to targeted ads that got me 🤬) and honestly I'm beyond happy with them.  They're on thge thinner side but do have some extra material in certain areas and also offer some compression, they also offer a cut resistant version if that's something that interests you.  I was skeptical but seeing how Peter Forsberg was involved I decided to give it a try (he's got a pretty good track record with products, even if his other major product is hideous and I'd never wear them... Crocs).

All of there stuff seems pretty interesting. Can't bring myself to pay that much for base layers though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hills said:

All of there stuff seems pretty interesting. Can't bring myself to pay that much for base layers though

Didn't you just buy the new Bauer stuff that's more expensive? 😉 Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them whenever you get around to doing a review

1 hour ago, Westside said:

Didn't you just buy the new Bauer stuff that's more expensive? 😉 Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them whenever you get around to doing a review

I didn't pay near retail for it though haha. If I could get the same deal for the Aycane or Warroad stuff I would buy them too 😂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hills said:

yea I agree... I only buy baselayers I can find on clearance, last set was some Nike Pro stuff that Kohls of all places had for about $30 for the pants and $25 for the shirt, I really love the pants but not crazy about the shirt (good thing I have a stack of "league champion" dri-fit shirts from our league since that's the prize for winning 😂).

On 10/25/2022 at 3:24 PM, VegasHockey said:

I love the Aycane socks.

On 10/22/2022 at 7:04 AM, xstartxtodayx said:

Marketing got to me too. Picked up a pair of the anti-cut skate socks and tested them out last week. I didn't notice the padding or anything and I mean that in the best way possible. The cut resistant portion was very snug, but could still fit around my calves. Biggest problem, for me at least, is that I really dislike socks this tall. The cut resistant material also holds onto heat so my legs were much warmer than usual. I reached out to the Aycane team and apparently they're in development on a mid-shin sock which would be right up my alley

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I keep hoping Aycane runs a sale soon so I can pick up a couple more pairs, they're def my favorite out of what I have.

I specifically asked about that and they stated that base layers will go on sale for Black Friday, but not socks 

On 5/28/2015 at 2:04 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I wear the light grey Easton socks, because they're super thin, and being in Makos there's really not much room in there.

For goalie skates I have more room, and wear Swiftwick Aspire 4, because I like the compression and REALLY like the double thickness 5" ankle cuff protecting my leg from the potential irritation from the top edges of my goalie skates.

Now that my Makos are a bit more broken in, I'm thinking of trying the Aspire in those too, but it's hard to convince yourself to switch from something you're happy with at the risk of having a bad game because my feet hurt.

The Aspire double thickness compression cuff is FANTASTIC:

aspire-four-black-compression-socks-1079

7+ years later, still using Swiftwick Aspire 4. No reason to change that. 

On 5/28/2015 at 9:54 PM, methosb said:

A problem I always have is my leg hair just above my ankles seem to find their way through holes in the material and get pulled up and down as I play causing some irritation.

lol I've been buzzing my leg hairs for decades just for this reason.

I actually like the Howie's pro and cut resistant socks. I don't like socks super thin. Also have had good experience with the Bauer cut resistant socks too. The Howie's is more comfy and softer vs the Bauer which can feel a bit rough but that texture provides pretty good grip when inside the skate, especially since my skate liners are clarino. 

I didn't care for my Bauer ones, they had seems that bunched up along the pinky toes, drove me nuts. I just use an over-the-calf sock from Adidas. They are thinner than a standard cotton sock, but not as thin as a dress sock. I use pro-stock hockey-socks with the cut-resistant material in the calf area over my shinguards.

Picked up a pair of Warroad socks on their BF/CM sale... overall a really nice quality sock, material feels great and they're a nice height stopping just above mid-calf on me.  Unfortunately they're thinner than I prefer so I don't think I'll be using them much.  They're very thin, prob half the thickness of the Aycane socks, so if anyone likes really thin socks I'd say give the Warroad ones a shot.

12 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I actually like the Howie's pro and cut resistant socks. I don't like socks super thin. Also have had good experience with the Bauer cut resistant socks too. The Howie's is more comfy and softer vs the Bauer which can feel a bit rough but that texture provides pretty good grip when inside the skate, especially since my skate liners are clarino. 

I also like Howies too. 

13 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Picked up a pair of Warroad socks on their BF/CM sale... overall a really nice quality sock, material feels great and they're a nice height stopping just above mid-calf on me.  Unfortunately they're thinner than I prefer so I don't think I'll be using them much.  They're very thin, prob half the thickness of the Aycane socks, so if anyone likes really thin socks I'd say give the Warroad ones a shot.

All the Warroad stuff is great as long as you’re willing to wait for their sales. Been happy with every product of theirs. 

• Like 1