Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
BRUINS_FAN_74

Bauer Speed Plate

I couldn't find anything on the warranty of the Speed Plates. As for the cracked models, I do agree that there always is going to be some faulty products out there with almost anything mass produced.

I was told that the reason for reheating them was due to the plates flattening out and needing to be reformed. If this is the case I can see this becoming an issue for me due to my weight. This alone would cause me to go back to my old faithful SuperFeet.

Thanks Zorlac. I never thought of using the holes in the outsole. My buddy's skates are 8D 1X's. I think they use the same insole for 8.5's as well, so they might be a bit looser in the half sizes. It's definitely not ideal if they are loose and falling out. They should fit fairly snug.

On April 8, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Zorlac said:

Some speedplate info:  Not sure if some of you guys have noticed the fit of the speedplates in the 1X or MX3, but they come up "short" to say the least.  I ordered a pair for my MX3s which are 6.5D. The plates were ordered as size 7 and they fit perfectly.

Both in the 1X and the MX3, it seems the plates were a bit short, causing movement.  SO... if you're ordering new speedplates for your skates I'd recommend a half size larger/trim a half size larger than recommended.

If I'm in a Vapor 7.5D you'd recommend buying the 8, and trimming a bit to fit?

the 7 plates fit just snug enough in the 6.5 supremes.  The 6.5 speedplates are too loose in my 6.5 vapors.   You can always trim to fit. remember...too big, too bad.

• Like 1

Some info I found to be helpful today. I was told these come with a 90 day warranty and you should wait 6+ hours to skate in them after baking.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2016 at 9:15 AM, A2rhino said:

So its been a few months now and I was wanting to know what the consensus was on the Speed Plates; Are they really as great as what we all are hoping them to be?

I'd stay away from these footbeds, second set just cracked last night. The two pairs I've had only lasted a little over 3 months each. Not worth the price if they're going to crack like this.

I've had mine for over a year now and have had zero issues.  I have only seen one come back to our store that was cracked.  Coming from custom SuperFeet that I liked, the only negative that I had was the loss of volume.  With the SpeedPlate I have a custom footbed without any loss of volume in my skates. 

15 hours ago, Zorlac said:

what size plates for what size skate Anjin?  Please do report back on fit and other relative stuff. 

I got size 7 plates for size 7D Supreme MX3's. Fitted them last night and there is a tiny amount of space between the front of the Speed Plate and the front of the toe cap. However that's no different than how the stock insoles fit and there's no movement whatsoever when the skates are on and laced up. I'll skate in them tomorrow night. So far they are very comfortable. 

56 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

I've had mine for over a year now and have had zero issues.  I have only seen one come back to our store that was cracked.  Coming from custom SuperFeet that I liked, the only negative that I had was the loss of volume.  With the SpeedPlate I have a custom footbed without any loss of volume in my skates. 

The first pair cracking I attributed to some extremely cold weather and being forced to leave my gear in a garage. The shop where I got them said the cracking was common and replaced them on the spot. This pair I had been rotating with my custom Superfeet and they just cracked out of the blue. I really like the speed plates but my footbeds cracking on a regular basis is not something I'm gonna mess with.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Anjin-san said:

I got size 7 plates for size 7D Supreme MX3's. Fitted them last night and there is a tiny amount of space between the front of the Speed Plate and the front of the toe cap. However that's no different than how the stock insoles fit and there's no movement whatsoever when the skates are on and laced up. I'll skate in them tomorrow night. So far they are very comfortable. 

If you are ordering from Ice Warehouse and wear a half size order a size up. (If you wear 7.5 order 8.) The sizing info on the site is wrong. They say size 7 fits 7 up to 7.5. In reality 7 fits 7 and you can trim it down to fit 6.5.

27 minutes ago, bgspillz said:

If you are ordering from Ice Warehouse and wear a half size order a size up. (If you wear 7.5 order 8.) The sizing info on the site is wrong. They say size 7 fits 7 up to 7.5. In reality 7 fits 7 and you can trim it down to fit 6.5.

I had just updated the sizing info before hopping on here. It's all good now. 

Played 2 games with the Speed Plates in my MX3's. They seem to take up a hair more volume than the stock footbeds. I just barely fail the pencil test on the MX3's, most like due to the injected stability lacing. Therefore I started getting some lace bite by the end of the second game. As for the Speed Plates themselves, they were comfortable, but I can't honestly say that they performed better. Just my opinion of course. 

What exactly does "too big too bad" mean? Since they can be trimmed to fit how much can they be trimmed down by? Can they be trimmed down by full size or it'd put the arch support in the wrong place?

Ie if I have 8.5 skates can I buy 9.5 speedplates and trim them down to size?

He means there is limit to how much you can trim. If the Speed plate is too big to begin with (ie size 11 when you need 8.5) you're SOL. Location of arch maybe an issue but also too large of a Speed plate may not feet widths-wise as well.

Speed plates come in full sizes. So if you need .5 size, you buy the full size up and trim down. That's per Bauer's sizing chart. I'm in 8.5D, I bought a size 9 and trimmed down.

On 7/3/2016 at 4:51 AM, GloriousLeader said:

He means there is limit to how much you can trim. If the Speed plate is too big to begin with (ie size 11 when you need 8.5) you're SOL. Location of arch maybe an issue but also too large of a Speed plate may not feet widths-wise as well.

Speed plates come in full sizes. So if you need .5 size, you buy the full size up and trim down. That's per Bauer's sizing chart. I'm in 8.5D, I bought a size 9 and trimmed down.

Except for EE's. You select a size up (i.e. 9.0EE & 9.5EE would require a size 10 footbed).

so if I bake skates for the 1st time do I bake them with the SpeedPlates inserted inside so that both the skate and the insole get molded @ the same time?

or as a video shows I need to bake the insoles separately? which of course would be a pain in the ass since I'd have to wait for the skates to cool down first, and the repeat the process for the insoles?! hopefully not

Outside of the skates. If baking new skates open the oven and place the SpeedPlates on the oven floor outside of the skates for the last 90 seconds of the baking process. Insert the right SpeedPlate in the right skate and tie it up. Then do the same for the left skate. Then stand as described in the video for 30 seconds and then sit while the skates cool down. 

My speedplates have cracked in my 1x's, still the best insole i've ever used. Now to get a pair for my super tacks because bauer's insole technology is light years ahead of ccm's regardless of boot construction. 

1 hour ago, jbyun04 said:

can the speedplates be baked at home?

I did mine at home. very easy.  just make sure you WATCH them through the oven window.  AS SOON as the chromatic ink disappears, remove them.

OR.... a hair dryer at close rage will also soften them up enough to make minor adjustments, such as curled toe, or a pinch in the arch.

20 hours ago, Zorlac said:

I did mine at home. very easy.  just make sure you WATCH them through the oven window.  AS SOON as the chromatic ink disappears, remove them.

OR.... a hair dryer at close rage will also soften them up enough to make minor adjustments, such as curled toe, or a pinch in the arch.

4 hours ago, GloriousLeader said:

+1

Yup. Did mine at home as well. Super easy. Do what zorlac says.

good to know thanks! what temperature did you guys heat the oven to?