Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
BRUINS_FAN_74

Bauer Speed Plate

so how do you trim speed plates to size?!

I have 8.5 skate and 9.5 insoles, they are stiff until baked and it's impossible to fit them into the skates it seems?!

Skated for the first time with speed plates over the weekend. I liked them a lot. My foot just felt right in the boot, and I have always struggled finding a footbed that worked. I had a random pair of superfeet that came in a pair of skates i bought used, and they didn't work for me. Lots of pain in my arch. I had my best success with a ancient pair from an old pair of easton air skates from probably around 2000 that seemed super flat, but sometimes i would get that weird stretching pain in my arch.

Anyways,the speed plates seemed to be really nice. I have no idea as to durability, but initial comfort was pretty awesome.

Just wondering if anyone has used the Speed plates to help with haglunds bumps??? My right heel is just starting to really hurt while skating (I don't have a big bump yet, and I'm trying to prevent that from happening) and last night it started to hurt while wearing tennis shoes:( I currently have superfeet yellow inserts and have been using the superfeet in my vapor 1x's for about 6 months and the pain just started to happen about a month ago, only on the back closer to the outside of my right heel. I was thinking maybe the speed plates would form to my feet and the inside of the skate, lowering my foot in the boot and possibly alleviate  the pain...

And just so everyone knows, I don't  have the pair of speed plates that came with my 1x's. So I am asking what your thoughts are before I go out and spend the $50 on a pair. 

Thanks for your help!

That's right

any excessive heel movement causes the body to build the protective mechanism in the form of a calcified callus 

if your heel is moving up/down with superfeet then speedplates would only make it worse since they don't have 3mm raised heel like the superfeet do.

you need to re-bake ur 1x one skate at a time and compress the crap out of the boot around your ankle to ensure the proper lock!

my main issue with the speed plates is the arch piece, it digs right into my arches and kills everytime i take a turn so i end up reverting to superfeet carbons..

too bad because the on-ice feel of the speed plates are unbelievable.. has anybody run into the arch-digging problem and found a solution? i've tried re-baking them a few times to try and flatten the arch as much as i could but no luck there

Edited by jbyun04

On 7/29/2016 at 3:22 AM, SolarWind said:

That's right

any excessive heel movement causes the body to build the protective mechanism in the form of a calcified callus 

if your heel is moving up/down with superfeet then speedplates would only make it worse since they don't have 3mm raised heel like the superfeet do.

you need to re-bake ur 1x one skate at a time and compress the crap out of the boot around your ankle to ensure the proper lock!

Thank you I will try this.

I tried some out SP yesterday and after 3 shifts, I went back to the locker and put my SF yellow back in

not even in the same ball park

I literally felt slower and like I was on my heels so bad

I couldn't find my edges, had terrible balance and just overall felt like crap

good learning experience tho - SF for the win!

Edited by enis750

Does anyone know if the Speed Plates are intended to be left inside the skate? At 1:33 of this video, he seems to impy that the skate and plate become 1. I have heard that getting the Speed Plates out can be a challenge. I always remove the footbeds after I skate, for proper drying out of the skates. Curious if these are intended to be taken in and out. I will use with Makos.

If you want it to be easier to remove the footbeds, you can do like I did on these Graf footbeds which are also hard to remove.  Put a strip of tape across the heel, let it stick out past the edge and fold it over into a tab like in this picture. Then you just pull on the tab to remove the footbed from your skate.

sidas_tab.jpg

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Does anyone know if the Speed Plates are intended to be left inside the skate? At 1:33 of this video, he seems to impy that the skate and plate become 1. I have heard that getting the Speed Plates out can be a challenge. I always remove the footbeds after I skate, for proper drying out of the skates. Curious if these are intended to be taken in and out. I will use with Makos.

I tried some in my MakoII's. Huge mistake. The raised edge all throughout the arch was painful, and the all around feel of the thin boot was gone. 

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I take mine out after every skate.  I use a special set of claw like tweezers that I had laying around the house.  That tape idea ^ above looks brilliant, I'll give that a try...

On 6/22/2015 at 2:17 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

Has anyone tried the Sole heat moldable inserts?

Yes, I have. They are great. I just recently got the new superfeet pro's though and like those slightly better due to the heel stabilization they provide.

Wasn't a fan of the speed plates at all

wasn't a great fit for my arch's and I felt flat in them. They provide zero forward pitch like the SuperFeet yellow's do

I actually skated on them for half a game, then went back to the locker room to change the SF back in

I used speed plate for about one week and realized my 1x 37.5 liner was cut and destroyed in the areas where plastic works against the liner.Also understand that this plastic does not have any vapor holes and the water accumulates in the hill area and plastic works its way to drill a hole and destroy your skates even more.  Moisture has nowhere to go if you use speed plate. And it's too hard plastic in soft 37.5 liner that are not on the same page. Bauer needs to come with more complicated product, that is to have soft edges so liner integrity is not compromised and have moisture exit holes.

I tried them for about 5 games and just never felt right.  They always made me feel like I was on my heels and the arch never felt right, basically I was always aware of them while skating which wasn't good.  I switched to the SuperFeet Carbon Pro and it was a night and day difference for me, I no longer pay attention to my feet while skating which is great.  I'm sure these are great for certain people but they just didn't work out for me.

Has anyone had to remold theirs yet as their foot changed or skates broke in? They still feel great arch-wise but it looks like a larger gap is forming between the non-arch side and the skate liner. Hasn't made a difference that I can tell but I am wondering if eventually it will become a pinch point (or if I've lost some support gradually and not noticed), and whether this is a sign that I should remold (been skating on them since July ~once a week). I also don't want to remold if I don't have to since they've been so comfortable to date. Thoughts? I'm leaning toward "if it don't feel broke don't fix it".