Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

louierev07

Polar Loop with H7 chest strap - pretty good for hockey data collection

I used to use a fitbit, but got annoyed that it wouldnt accurately gauge any data about the thing I do most for excersize - hockey.

So I looked around and decided to give an actual chest strap a shot. I liked the idea of the polar H7, because I could just wear the loop (which is like a basic fitbit) 24/7, and then use my chest strap for heart rate when im playing hockey, or running, or lifting, etc.

Wore it for my first two games back from our break, and got some good info. Heres my heart rate from those two games:

Tuesday night:

u9n9S1q.png

Wednesday night:

YIKLhA2.png

I also Tried wearing it when I was just outside on rollerblades shooting around:

HJHTQ7y.png

And I did one of those workout videos T25 to see my heartrate there:

Jwo0L2L.png

I still need more data to really compare and get info from it, but its cool to see how hard I push myself in these games. Id also like to compare these games to later in the season when Im in better shape and I feel like I could play an entire game without needing any shifts off.

Also what Ive found out is that I really hate "working out". Comparing my T25 workout to me just shooting around on skates showed I probably got a much better workout on rollerblades, and it didnt feel like it at all. I mean - my intention was not to get a workout - only to go and shoot and dribble the puck a bit.

This makes sense to me because Im in decent shape - so if you ask me to play hockey or basketball or something fun for hours, I feel like I dont get tired, but I hate running and even those 25 minute workouts I dread. Not gonna stop doing either, but now I can see how much better it is to just go out and do something active.

And on a side note - I was thinking about getting the fitbit surge (whatever is the best one with HR), but I know that a chest strap is the only real way to get an accurate reading. I saw the difference between the fitbit and chest straps, and I think because of its delay, it would be especially bad for ice hockey. For long disatcne running and all day monitoring its probably fine, but for me i dont think so. My one knock against the loop is its battery. I think it has something to do with my phone not actually being supported (oneplus one), but if i use it a ton I get maybe 2 days out of it. No big deal because it charges quick and I just do it every other night, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it.

Any information or testing you guys want me to do with it let me know.

I wore my Apple Watch while playing goal last Tuesday, but apparently unless you actually enable the workouts setting, it only takes heart rate every 10 minutes, and even then only if you're not moving. Oops. I'll try it again this week and see if the results are any better.

I do like the idea of a chest strap though, likely a lot more accurate than the watch, even with Apple's tech. It did a pretty good job during my Friday workout though. I'd like to wear a chest strap AND the watch just to compare, at some point.

Great tool, the chest strap was the best point. Pretty good readings. I quit smoking and recovery ratings are a lot better.

iYgg9uH.jpg

Ugh, the Apple Health app really sucks for graphing. I have all the HR data from my watch, but this is seriously all the Health app gives you. Sigh.

CY6Kk4j.png