Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caihlen

Lacrosse shoulder pads .... Again

So, I'm playing Lax and I'm going to buy shoulder pads. I read all the posts previously and I still am hopefull that someone with some expertise will point me in the right direction. Here's the question:

I play rec league hockey. I'm a bigger guy, 6'3" 195. I'm currently wearing frankenpads for hockey that are a combination of sherwood 5030's and Reebok hybrids. They work fine for ice hockey.

I'm going to buy a set of shoulders for LAX.

Is there a product out there that anyone has used that will fit the bill for both?

Thanks all and if this is a repeat post cause I didn't search well enough I apologize.

LAX shoulder pads are not designed to cushion your shoulders when you fall into the boards, after having wiped out at high speeds. Anyone who says, "Oh yea you ought to be good in these LAX pads, for ice hockey," is not someone I would agree with. Of course, plenty of people that I know play ice hockey, without shoulder pads; so I suppose LAX is better than nothing. I would not want to have taken the pucks and collisions to my shoulders, absent my Franken pads (CCM CLs).

I am interested to see the STX Surgeon 300 shoulders (designed for ice hockey), coming in Sept 2015, I understand. I suspect these ought to do the trick for both; I am assuming you are a beer leaguer for ice hockey.

Beer leaguer is correct. And to be clear I accept the possibility that there is no such a beastie....

How good is your overlap between your frankenshoulders and elbows? Got enough coverage or any gaps where a lax stick could slash you?

Why not just use the hockey pads for lacrosse?

How good is your overlap between your frankenshoulders and elbows? Got enough coverage or any gaps where a lax stick could slash you?

Why not just use the hockey pads for lacrosse?

Probably because the shoulder cups restrict over head movement while playing lacrosse. I've seen guys use lacrosse pads for ice hockey, and I've considered it myself, but like Cosmic said, not many offer much in the way of shoulder protection going into the boards.

Thanks everyone. Turns out the point is moot! The games I'm playing in don't seem physical eneough to warrant more than arm/elbow pads, a helmet , gloves and a cup. Which is cool.