Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tburns517

In the market for new gloves

As the title states, I am looking for a new pair of gloves for next season. My current gloves are 13" Easton EQ50s, and too many holes have developed in the fingers and palms, not to mention the odor that seems impossible to get rid of. I'm kind of on the fence between getting a new 13" or 14" pair, considering my hand seems to fit okay in some brands of gloves but not in others of the same size. The max I would spend is probably $120 on a pair of gloves. I'm currently using a stick with grip, so I feel that may be a reason for the holes developing. I went to Total Hockey to try on a few pair and asked someone there what they would recommend, but they weren't much help. I am interested in a few pair, but would like your guys' take on them:

Easton PRO 10

Warrior Dynasty AX2 (Never seen a 13.5" size before until these)

CCM 4-Roll Pro III (How well will the AX Suede hold up on a stick with grip?)

CCM 28K KFS (Look interesting, but haven't heard much about them. They look pretty new)

Hmm I suppose it depends on what type of glove fit you prefer, be it anatomically slim, or traditionally wide (or something in between). In terms of widest to slimmest fit, the Pro 4 Roll IIIs would be the widest, then the AX2, Easton and the KFS is the slimmest.

The CCM 28K is new yes, but it's simply the current version of the Reebok equivalent, so I would actually recommend you look at the Reebok versions instead as they're on clearance: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-sr-hockey-gloves.html

I would say the Reebok/CCM KFS gloves would be the easiest to break in as they're pretty much game ready. If you prefer a wider fit, I really like how comfy the CCM 4Roll Pro IIIs are out-of-box as well. I also think well of the Easton Pros but those might require just a tad more break-in time if that matters to you. Honestly, you can't go wrong here.

Personally I wouldn't go with the CCM 4Rolls, I had a pair and the Palm wore through in just over 3 months. Definitely the most comfortable palms on a pair of gloves, but the the durability just wasn't there

Thanks for your replies. Break-in time isn't much of an issue, I just want a durable and long-lasting glove with good protection. I think I have narrowed it down to the Warrior AX2's and the Easton Pro 10's, which are the same price. I'm now looking at the palm material and comparing the two. The AX2's have Clarino, while the Pro 10's have Nash and a pure grip overlay. I was trying to do some research on the two different materials and came across a very old thread on this forum from 2010. I'm not sure how advanced these materials are today, but here is what was described:

"Clarino is a much looser chemical bond and absorbs sweat better. This also allows a much softer feel once the gloves have been dried out after use but ultimately fall apart faster.

Nash on the other hand is a much tighter chemical bond and resists sweat up to a certain point. Once the gloves palms begin to weaken from use sweat begins to permeate the surface and the bond begins to break down. Once this happens the gloves will rapidly deteriorate because the sweat and any other moisture picked up by the palms will begin to react with the chemistry and as a result the palms will become brittle and almost hardened when dried."

Is this still relevant? I use a stick with grip and have a backup with grip as well so I would like to make sure the palms are of good quality material-wise. One thing I don't see on the Pro 10's compared to my current Easton EQ50s are the small vent holes on the inside of the fingers. That forum also discussed how it is a terrible idea for high-end gloves to include those as they turn into more quickly.

Thanks for your replies. Break-in time isn't much of an issue, I just want a durable and long-lasting glove with good protection. I think I have narrowed it down to the Warrior AX2's and the Easton Pro 10's, which are the same price. I'm now looking at the palm material and comparing the two. The AX2's have Clarino, while the Pro 10's have Nash and a pure grip overlay. I was trying to do some research on the two different materials and came across a very old thread on this forum from 2010. I'm not sure how advanced these materials are today, but here is what was described:

"Clarino is a much looser chemical bond and absorbs sweat better. This also allows a much softer feel once the gloves have been dried out after use but ultimately fall apart faster.

Nash on the other hand is a much tighter chemical bond and resists sweat up to a certain point. Once the gloves palms begin to weaken from use sweat begins to permeate the surface and the bond begins to break down. Once this happens the gloves will rapidly deteriorate because the sweat and any other moisture picked up by the palms will begin to react with the chemistry and as a result the palms will become brittle and almost hardened when dried."

Is this still relevant? I use a stick with grip and have a backup with grip as well so I would like to make sure the palms are of good quality material-wise. One thing I don't see on the Pro 10's compared to my current Easton EQ50s are the small vent holes on the inside of the fingers. That forum also discussed how it is a terrible idea for high-end gloves to include those as they turn into more quickly.

I would say that's still relevant. All of the Nash palms I've ever seen and used are both tough enough, yet supple enough as well.

Get them all. Does anyone on this board have less than 3 pairs of gloves?

I am at 6.

Don't get me started haha

FWIW - Zero experience with the other options. Have the CCM 4R PIII's for 3 months and REALLY like them. Palms look great(use a grip stick), but only getting out a few times a week(usually minimum of twice a week) + a little back yard work.

Man, I really liked my EQ50s as well and actually had the top hand repalmed. http://www.hockeyrepair.com/ they did an awesome job, super clean, looks real pro, mesh gussets and everything, its better than it was when i bought them and if I'm correct cost like $50 total including shipping. So that could be an option if you like your gloves and just want to get them fixed up, cheaper than buying new.

Another thing I'll mention is all the reebok gear is getting phased out so all of it is on closeout. I just picked up a pair of pro k (which is 27/28k glove) for 60 bux. Just look for a sale and snag some up, I'm sure you'll see some around 4th of july or something. They are exactly the same as the CCM gloves just with a different logo. I've liked their fit, it starts out snug and fits really nice when broken in. The 9k gloves have been the most comfortable gloves I've ever had and the palms have been super durable.

Here's a pic of the repalmed glove:

943403_10151425250641681_1603273428_n.jp

FWIW - Zero experience with the other options. Have the CCM 4R PIII's for 3 months and REALLY like them. Palms look great(use a grip stick), but only getting out a few times a week(usually minimum of twice a week) + a little back yard work.

Same here. They are my fav all time gloves now.

I'm starting to look at some other options, such as the Warrior Covert QR3s and the Easton Stealth C9.0s. I've seen some good reviews on the CCM 4-Roll Pro III gloves, however, the AX Suede does concern me. I felt the material at Total Hockey and I'm not sure how well it will do with constant friction against a grip stick. I notice the Stealth C9.0s use Tactik Microsuede as well. I'm taking Zzapdog's post (post 3) into consideration with the CCM 4R Pro III's. After trying on a few pair of gloves at Total Hockey and putting on my EQ50s again, I have a feeling I will want to go back to them if I get a new pair. That is unless I find a pair that is very similar to them. The palm of the EQ50s include gray Nash with black leather overlay, and include seamless index and pinky finger designs. The holes only seem to occur on the index and pinky fingers where there is black leather overlay. The Nash areas with vented fingers are still holding up. I don't see another pair of gloves with this similar design in the index and pinky finger, so I am curious if they felt it was a flaw in the design and caused more wear in these areas.

EDIT:

rawkstar, just saw the photo, and it looks like they did a really good job on the repalm. Is that the only color they offer?

I think I've been lurking here long enough that I ought to contribute something. I have last year's Easton Pro and really like them. They start a little snug and loosen up, and feel and move good right out of the box. The palm on them seems heavy compared to other gloves I've tried, but after 50+ games they're holding up great (lower level beer league, using grip sticks and mostly taped knobs). The top hand is showing some wear, but it's still nice and soft with no holes and very little stretching in the finger and palm vents. If I hadn't bought another pair on clearance a couple weeks ago I'd be looking at the Pro 10s first when I actually need new gloves.

I've never used EQ50s so I can't comment on how they compare, I have seen them on clearance still though on some of the smaller web stores.

no idea. they can repalm with leather or durasoft, i don't know if they can do different colors, they might, ask them.

I got durasoft and its really nice, super plush and has held up great.

I think I've been lurking here long enough that I ought to contribute something. I have last year's Easton Pro and really like them. They start a little snug and loosen up, and feel and move good right out of the box. The palm on them seems heavy compared to other gloves I've tried, but after 50+ games they're holding up great (lower level beer league, using grip sticks and mostly taped knobs). The top hand is showing some wear, but it's still nice and soft with no holes and very little stretching in the finger and palm vents. If I hadn't bought another pair on clearance a couple weeks ago I'd be looking at the Pro 10s first when I actually need new gloves.

I've never used EQ50s so I can't comment on how they compare, I have seen them on clearance still though on some of the smaller web stores.

Thanks for your input ouroboros. I will take that into consideration.

Ever consider giving Bauer gives a chance? Vapors are where it's at

Yeah, I was actually looking at the Bauer Vapor X 100 gloves, as the APX Pro and APX seem to be out of stock in Black or Black/White 14" on most sites.

I have basically decided that I am probably just going to pick a pair that I think I will like and go with it.

Pretty good deal on Warrior Covert DT2 Bone:X at HM right now. I have been using these gloves for awhile. I have not been thrilled about the lack of flex thumb/ lack of flex cuff, but most gloves do not have these features anyway. These gloves are super light, and seem to have the same protection as the Covert DT1 (better protection than Covert QR3, I believe, as these have the bone system that Warrior typically only puts in their top of the line gloves.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-gloves-covert-dt2-bonex-sr.html?utm_source=exclusive%20concepts&utm_medium=Peel%20Away%20Ad&utm_campaign=Conversions%20on%20Demand

Pretty good deal on Warrior Covert DT2 Bone:X at HM right now. I have been using these gloves for awhile. I have not been thrilled about the lack of flex thumb/ lack of flex cuff, but most gloves do not have these features anyway. These gloves are super light, and seem to have the same protection as the Covert DT1 (better protection than Covert QR3, I believe, as these have the bone system that Warrior typically only puts in their top of the line gloves.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-gloves-covert-dt2-bonex-sr.html?utm_source=exclusive%20concepts&utm_medium=Peel%20Away%20Ad&utm_campaign=Conversions%20on%20Demand

I was actually looking into the DT2 Bone-X last night too. Money isn't really an issue for me, but I don't really want to spend extra cash for the QR1 if it's not worth it. To me, it looks like the palms and gussets are different between the DT2 Bone-X and the DT1/QR1. Does anyone know of any other differences? Seems like the price for them is pretty reasonable. I'm heading down to monkey later today to check them out.

I checked out the the QR1, QR3, and DT2 Bone-X today and indeed the palms and gussets were different as well as the flex thumb. The QR3 had the flex thumb too but similar palms to the DT2.

It was difficult to judge the weight difference since the left and right gloves were zip tied together for all of them. Trying to compare them as a pair, the weight difference didn't seem too much.

I tried them on while stick handling and found the DT2 Bone-X were a little tighter around my hand than the QR's, especially on the top part of my hand. I gave myself a few wacks to the hand and the QR1 and DT2 seemed similar in feel and protection. Since it seemed to fit my hand more comfortably and the other differences didn't seem to bother me, I decided to spend $80 on the DT2 Bone-X instead of $190 QR1. I would've paid more for better protection, so I was leaning towards the QR1 over the QR3. Since the two remaining seemed similar in protection, I decided the other features weren't worth the extra price difference for me. Hope that helps OP.