Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

t6lock

Removing thumb lock

Is there an easy way to do this? Or should I be going to a shop to get this done professionally. They're on a pair of DT1 pros. I can see the thumb lock insert from the cuff, just not sure what it's attached to, if anything

Just got my own pair of new gloves with thumb lock, CCM HG98. Any way to get these out easily? Or do I have to take it to a shop?

I wouldn't recommend removing the thumb lock since it prevents your thumb from hyper extending (i.e going backwards) and possible dislocation. Its possible pro shops could do it, but again I'd highly caution against it. If you're looking at increasing thumb dexterity have you tried using the thumb loop instead of the actual lock portion?

OP: Why do you want to remove the thumb locks? Maybe you could just lengthen the tab between the outside thumb and the actual thumb if you need more mobility.

Never had a glove with lock before, but I'll give this one a try for a while. Just wanted to see if there was an option to remove. It feels weird initially but I'm sure I'll accustom to it

Played my first game with it.... didn't even come to mind for a second that I had thumb lock in the glove. Looks like it's staying for good.

IN case you're still interested in this. On tradiational gloves the thumb lock is generally once piece that runs under the cuff. It may be sewn to a piece of fabric to keep it from moving. You can cut the thumb in a number of places with a dremel or even metal snips.

Again, don't do it. Some cut the thumb-loop that attaches the top of the soft leather thumb to the exterior thumb protection, should provide better mobility inwards while keeping (most) protection to movement directed outside (as long as you don't have too much sideways movement).

I just bought a pair of pro stock HGTKXP (Ultra Tacks Gloves w/ Extra Protection). They are great gloves. Lightweight with lots of mobility, except for the thumb. The thumb lock piece runs well up into the cuff and I feel like I can't properly wrap my thumb around my stick. It doesn't just lock one way, it locks both ways. What can I do? I tried cutting the fabric strip that holds the hard plastic in and sliding the plastic out, but then it took all the padding in the thumb away. Seems like the best I can do is to snip off the upper part where it goes under the cuff. 

23 hours ago, Jason said:

I just bought a pair of pro stock HGTKXP (Ultra Tacks Gloves w/ Extra Protection). They are great gloves. Lightweight with lots of mobility, except for the thumb. The thumb lock piece runs well up into the cuff and I feel like I can't properly wrap my thumb around my stick. It doesn't just lock one way, it locks both ways. What can I do? I tried cutting the fabric strip that holds the hard plastic in and sliding the plastic out, but then it took all the padding in the thumb away. Seems like the best I can do is to snip off the upper part where it goes under the cuff. 

Cut the thumb loops. 

1 hour ago, jpeaslee said:

Cut the thumb loops. 

I guess I can do that. Seems like a ridiculous thing to have to do. Why would anyone want the thumbs so immobile? I understand it's protective, but you can't even hold your stick properly. I can honestly say that I've never hyperextended my thumb on the ice before.

20 hours ago, Jason said:

I guess I can do that. Seems like a ridiculous thing to have to do. Why would anyone want the thumbs so immobile? I understand it's protective, but you can't even hold your stick properly. I can honestly say that I've never hyperextended my thumb on the ice before.

I don't think that's any more ridiculous than what you'd have to do to remove or modify the thumb lock.

My eagle Aero Pros have a completely locked/rigid thumb.  I don't ever notice it when I'm actually using them, only if I'm sitting there trying to flex my thumb. 

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Did you cut the thumb loops though?

Nope, loops are intact.  I've never had a glove that had a completely locked thumb before.  My most recent were a pair of Bauer 4 rolls, and they have a super flexible thumb.  Comparing them side by side, I don't feel like I have any less grip on my stick or that I'm actually restricted.  If I'm sitting there just testing them out, I can tell, but actually stickhandling, shooting, or on ice, I can't notice any difference.