Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aevilpuppy

Best Foam Core Stick?

I have been looking at a ton of different foam core sticks from various brands like CCM, Bauer, Christian, etc... I've looked at this sticks from different websites like goalie monkey or total goalie and many of the reviews on the sticks are confusing. One stick may be awesome on one website but terrible on another. I have a 26in (28in according to Goalie Monkey true size) SL825 Sherwood stick which is an awful stick thats barely intact. I have a small list of sticks that are potential for me to buy. I primarily want a foam core stick but composite is also an option. I just need a little help on which stick would be the best buy for me. I am 5ft exact.

My list of potential Sticks:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13aKOp2pqMzvEibqQvrzZPYy3dSrFVtRO7Ij5JT15ahk/edit?usp=sharing

Thank You for helping!

I'm absolutely loving my warrior swagger LT. Could not be happier. Great puck feel, nice curve, great flex. And looks pretty cool with the silver carbon :)

Twigz is a good option also for the price (you asked for foam core yet you have the composite listed in your spreadsheet?). It had zero flex though. Not sure if that matters to you.

I'm absolutely loving my warrior swagger LT. Could not be happier. Great puck feel, nice curve, great flex. And looks pretty cool with the silver carbon :)

Twigz is a good option also for the price (you asked for foam core yet you have the composite listed in your spreadsheet?). It had zero flex though. Not sure if that matters to you.

I know I have composite on my spreadsheet, its mostly just a comparison to the foam core and a possible option if there is one that doesn't vibrate bad. For the Warrior Swagger LT however, I've seen the pro and non pro versions, is there anything significantly different between the two or just minor things and what about the Warrior ST version? Do you know anything about those sticks? Thank You for helping me out. :)

I hated the vibration I got in composite sticks!

The warrior differences are primarily in the blade construction and the shaft construction. The warrior site actually does a half decent job of explaining the differences.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the warrior models.

The problem with reviews is that reviews are subjective. I use the example of a set of tyres for my wife's car. She has a car with a very rare tyre size; in essence- not many choices were to be had and many had to be ordered in. I needed tyres YESTERDAY!

I kid you not- with the tyres I ended up buying, I had read every single review from horrible to excellent. I finally had to take the great and the horrible reviews with a grain of salt, especially since three of the worst reviews (based on comments and writing style) were written by the SAME PERSON!!!

What am I saying with this long-winded diatribe? If going by reviews, be careful- you may be reading several reviews by a singular disgruntled customer. That being said- if I have read on several web sites that one defect keeps coming through, then I stay away.

At 5' exactly, I would think you'd want intermediate sized. But you get the 28" stick to work for you and that's cool.

I buy my sticks on sale. I bought some Reebok foam cores last February that are serviceable, albeit heavy sticks but were CHEAP. I would think the CCM 400 foam would be close to my Reebok sticks. I bought a Vaughn 1100 (don't know the exact model number with letters) on sale, and whilst feeling AWESOME, the edges of the foam blade and paddle have gotten seriously dented by shots, but I still am using the stick and I like it better than my Reeboks. But I didn't lose much money on any of these sticks.

One feature I like on a foam core? ABS on the bottom. My Vaughn lacks this and that is one reason why this stick's days will probably be numbered.

The Bauer on your list seems like not a terrible stick for the money. It seems like Monkey has plenty of these sticks as this has been the daily deal for over a month. Buy one, see if you like it, and if you do, buy as many as you can afford.

I will add to Opti's opinion on Warrior sticks- these used to be Montreal sticks from what I understand (but could be wrong about) and Montreal has always made a great stick.

I like the Bauer, but Monkey doesn't show if it has blade reinforcement or not.

My buddy has a couple and they would be equivalent to the Twigz F95 with no blade reinforcement. Mine went soft on me in about 4 months to the point of it basically becoming useless and I couldn't shoot anymore.

The Twigz F16 has blade reinforcement on it whick will make it last longer.

I haven't used the new Swagger ST so I can't comment on it. But I was disappointed they went away from the Swagger style that I did a review on.

Keep in mine all of these sticks you listed should be made in the same factory. And I actually did a review on really similar sticks in terms of features.

Vaughn 7600/7800 which is comparable to the Twigz F16

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/66742-vaughn-76007800-foam-core-goalie-stick-review/

Simmons Pro Series which is simmilar to Twigz F95

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/66045-simmons-pro-series-6-goalie-stick/

Warrior Swagger which is closer to F16 but with more paddle reinforcement.

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/66047-warrior-swagger-emery-curve/

The 7600 is still servicable and I switch it back and forth with my Swagger, the Simmons is basically dead. So depending on what the Bauer 7500 I would go with the Twigz F16.

I hated the vibration I got in composite sticks!

The warrior differences are primarily in the blade construction and the shaft construction. The warrior site actually does a half decent job of explaining the differences.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the warrior

Do u know which curve is best for shooting on the LT because thats prob what im gonna get

Do u know which curve is best for shooting on the LT because thats prob what im gonna get

You can't just ask what curve is the best for shooting. Just like player sticks the curve is all relative to what you are like and what you want to get out of it.

How long have you been playing goal?

I have a Warrior with the Quick curve and it is the worst curve I've ever used when it comes to shooting in net. People shoot different ways, some people shoot in net like they do a player stick while others (like me) use a Turco grip where I use the stick flex to snap the puck off the stick. A Reebok Miller curve was amazing at getting pucks off the glass with this method and with the Quick curve I'm lucky to get it half way up the boards.

Also Behind the Mask is having a Reebok Pro Stick sale... $50 a stick and they are the foam cores the pros use.

http://www.behindthemask.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17992&cat=361&page=1

You can't just ask what curve is the best for shooting. Just like player sticks the curve is all relative to what you are like and what you want to get out of it.

How long have you been playing goal?

I have a Warrior with the Quick curve and it is the worst curve I've ever used when it comes to shooting in net. People shoot different ways, some people shoot in net like they do a player stick while others (like me) use a Turco grip where I use the stick flex to snap the puck off the stick. A Reebok Miller curve was amazing at getting pucks off the glass with this method and with the Quick curve I'm lucky to get it half way up the boards.

Also Behind the Mask is having a Reebok Pro Stick sale... $50 a stick and they are the foam cores the pros use.

http://www.behindthemask.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17992&cat=361&page=1

Yeah I realized my question was kind've general and I've been playing goal for about 4 years now. I shoot with my glove on the shaft rather than holding it like a player would, I could never get any power that way. I was wondering how are each of the warrior curves differ from each other. I really don't know much about goalie sticks, I've only had 3 sticks within my time as a goalie. Thank you for your help. :)

Yeah I realized my question was kind've general and I've been playing goal for about 4 years now. I shoot with my glove on the shaft rather than holding it like a player would, I could never get any power that way. I was wondering how are each of the warrior curves differ from each other. I really don't know much about goalie sticks, I've only had 3 sticks within my time as a goalie. Thank you for your help. :)

That is fine, I just didn't want you to expect one person's opinion be the ultimate decision in your purchase making. Unfortunately I think the only option to find out what curve works for you is trying them out. But that means you'll end up with a bunch of different sticks like I do with only 1 or 2 with a curve you actually like.

That is fine, I just didn't want you to expect one person's opinion be the ultimate decision in your purchase making. Unfortunately I think the only option to find out what curve works for you is trying them out. But that means you'll end up with a bunch of different sticks like I do with only 1 or 2 with a curve you actually like.

Yup. I've only been playing goal since november and already have five sticks I don't use.

My wall of shame with no fewer than 15 player sticks resembles what you are saying, lol.

Yup. I've only been playing goal since november and already have five sticks I don't use.

I only have two sticks I am not using; however, they are the same stick. I can't shoot with a goal stick to save my life (yet).

These pre-curved sticks that can't be altered make me LONG for the days of no-curve, wooden sticks. When is the old Christian factory going to get back to churning out sticks? I have only heard since last December that this factory was going to start churning out sticks once again... grrrrrrrr!

I have one composite Bauer, two wood Twigz, and a foam core Twigz. The only stick I ever use is a foam core Warrior now.

I'd sell the others, but shipping them is more of a pain than they're worth.

I figure that if nothing else, I could donate my unwanted sticks, as well as unsellable other gear to my local rink for the bloke that wants to try goal at an open skate. None of my sticks would be anything anybody would want, so why sell?

I figure that if nothing else, I could donate my unwanted sticks, as well as unsellable other gear to my local rink for the bloke that wants to try goal at an open skate. None of my sticks would be anything anybody would want, so why sell?

Yea, exactly. Mine will probably just end up at play it again sports or something. Or just sit in my garage collecting dust. *shrug*