Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zzapdog

Speed Plates vs Superfeet, Sidas, etc.

Just want to know thoughts on foot beds, I'm going to be picking up 1X skates soon and am trying to decide whether i should try the new speed plates or just stick with yellow superfeet.

Only reason I'm asking is i have heard the plastic gets very hard and painful after it molds.

I'm a fellow Superfeet yellow user, and am looking forward to the speed plates when they come out aftermarket. What plastic are you referring to? On the bottom of the superfeet? I've never had any problems and have been using them for 3-4 years.

I'm a fellow Superfeet yellow user, and am looking forward to the speed plates when they come out aftermarket. What plastic are you referring to? On the bottom of the superfeet? I've never had any problems and have been using them for 3-4 years.

I'm referring to the blue plastic on the speed plates

I have been using the superfeet for about 4 years as well and have found them to be very comfortable. I've heard The speed plates are great with their molding, I've just heard some not so great things about their comfort.

I am sitting here with my 1X skates on my feet. I have not baked the skates or speed plate yet. Unmolded the speed plates were very painful so I put my superfeet back in. The whole point of the speed plate though is to bake and mold them. Once I bake and moldthem I'll let you know how they feel.

I will say this about the Speedplate... that's some serious molding!!! Heated it up, put it in the skate. No pain in the arch at all. Totally molded to foot shape. Very impressive.

you can't use the speed plate without molding it the speed plate is a hard plastic if its not molded it will feel like standing on a piece of hard plastic jabbing into the arch of your foot. I used super feet in all my skates when i got the 1X i molded the speed plates and they felt great and I've never switched back to my super feet i never felt a need to i liked the speed plates the first time i used them so I've been using them ever since.

Just want to know thoughts on foot beds, I'm going to be picking up 1X skates soon and am trying to decide whether i should try the new speed plates or just stick with yellow superfeet.

Only reason I'm asking is i have heard the plastic gets very hard and painful after it molds.

Here are some product differences if it helps you:

- Superfeet have a 3/4 length stabilizer cap / Bauer's Speed Plate is full length plastic (or some type of polypropylene blend).

- Superfeet Yellow are perforated towards the forefoot / Bauer's Speed Plate is not.

- Superfeet are designed to be trimmed to fit into the skate and have room for movement inside the skate (you won't feel this when skating) / Bauer's Speed Plate doesn't require trimming.

- Superfeet Yellow are $45 (USD) / Bauer's Speed Plate was apparently going to retail at $59 (USD).

- Superfeet Yellow are designed to stabilize the heel and your midtarsal joint / Bauer's Speed Plate (under my foot at least) seems to "fill the arch" more.

Great info Sean thanks. I'm looking forward to trying these out and comparing them to the Yellow Superfeet.

Are speed plates any better than Sidas?  Sidas didn't crack, but how is the fit compare.

Or how is the comparison to Superfeet Carbons?

I recently switched from Sidas to Speedplates in my custom APX2s. My biggest issue with the Sidas was that they were super thick and took up too much volume in my skates.

In addition, their relatively plush surface, while comfortable, reduced feel for the ice in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

I recently switched from Sidas to Speedplates in my custom APX2s. My biggest issue with the Sidas was that they were super thick and took up too much volume in my skates.

In addition, their relatively plush surface, while comfortable, reduced feel for the ice in my opinion. 

How do you like the speed plates in comparison?  No cracking issues?