Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sundinleafs137

2015-16 Gear Sightings

Patrick Kane has switched to the Vapor IX LE skate. with white holders and laces it looks terrific.

Those do look good, I don't understand the appeal of black holders or colored laces.

Speaking of Kane, anyone notice his hockey pants not having kidney or a spine guard? Is that just a lower or some custom set up? I've seen his pro stock pants from before and it seems he's always had that set up. Just curious.

It would look pretty much the same as their normal skates, without the excessive patterning applied all over the boot. The construction process looks to be similar to what it was in the past, so you end up with the stiffened quarter panels, which before were nylon and plastic and today are much stiffer nylon-plastics, partially covered with facing and a heel strip. Toe cap in the front. Leather, foam, and felt tongue. Everything is in a similar place, it's just that now they have their sublimated or fused decorative pieces to look more hi-tech (they are more hi-tech, why not let the materials speak for themselves?). I agree a throwback skate would look great. But I don't think it wouldn't look revolutionarily different, just a bit conservative.

I do. If you look at the placement of the pieces included in the construction and how they're built up, the major difference is the exterior treatment. Smooth brown (I'm guessing) synthetic leather instead of black for the facing. The heel piece covers a bit more of the composite shell up to the tendon guard and over towards the pump system on both sides. It's a few extra grams of material, probably to make the skate look more like one from 40-years-ago. If they didn't add the branding flourishes to the normal Ribcor and just swapped the black leather for brown, it would look like 97% the Subban Special. The difference is the textural and graphical manipulations to the underlying materials. Otherwise, the construction approach is the same as it was way back when. I'm not saying that such consistency is a bad thing: I agree with the criticism of those who would reinvent the wheels. It's just that abstractly, evaluating the pattern on which the skate is made, not much has changed. What has changed are the materials, in my opinion, for the better, and the cosmetics, in my opinion much for the worse.

I like them better than the last Tacks, at least from that shot. It's hard to tell without more detail. It suggests the old heel clip Tacks of the 90's more than the previous iteration.

The ultra tacks skate is so laughably hideous. Good god.

Right, because you can form a legitimate opinion from one crappy picture. Give me a break.

I have seen the entire line in person, and they look good. The new Tack skate is EXTREMELY impressive.