Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
flyers10

CAG One Profile suggestions needed

I'm looking at Tydan blades and just did the Tydan blade online assessment.  They recommended a 30/60 cag one profile with a 3/4 hollow based on my weight (250).  How accurate are their profiles?  I saw that one person recommended starting at 25/40 profile   I'm coming from a ls2 edge blades standard 5/8ths or 1/2 depending on availability (don't live in a area with great skate sharpening) .I have been skating for years and play men's league.  Thoughts and feedback, thanks ?

45 minutes ago, jeffg said:

I'm looking at Tydan blades and just did the Tydan blade online assessment.  They recommended a 30/60 cag one profile with a 3/4 hollow based on my weight (250).  How accurate are their profiles?  I saw that one person recommended starting at 25/40 profile   I'm coming from a ls2 edge blades standard 5/8ths or 1/2 depending on availability (don't live in a area with great skate sharpening) .I have been skating for years and play men's league.  Thoughts and feedback, thanks ?

Tydan loves to pitch CAG. I rarely see them recommend anything other than CAG. No offense to CAG, but I am not a fan.

We convert a ton of people using CAG to dual, triple, quad or quint profiles. 

Edited by PBH

I'm a fan of the 35/65 profile (254 runners).  CAG profiling is simple compared to singles, duals, triples, quads, quints of ProSharp.  

27 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

I'm a fan of the 35/65 profile (254 runners).  CAG profiling is simple compared to singles, duals, triples, quads, quints of ProSharp.  

Agreed that its simple and sometimes simple is a good solution. But if you have access to a pro shop that is knowledgeable I prefer to steer people to other alternatives. I think out of all the profiles we have done there have only been a couple people who preferred a CAG over anything else they tried. Obviously, younger players are more open to trying new things while older players are more "set in their ways." 

A .5 quad profile probably won’t feel like a huge huge departure from the 9ft radius if you want to experiment and try something new, but don’t want to get too crazy and wild. 

Doing some sort of dual radius would be even less of a change, but I guess I’m arguing to try to push boundaries a little bit, that way you have more of an idea what the differences feel like. 

If that makes any sense……

23 hours ago, jeffg said:

I have used a few different CAG profiles have done 25-45 and 30-50 on size 272 steel.  I like it better than just a stock 10ft radius.  It was recently recommended to me that I try out a a triple radius of 6/8/12' so I think I am going to give that a go as my current steel is just at the stock 10ft and I am not a fan

On 6/30/2015 at 7:37 AM, jimmy said:

Start with a 25/40, this will give you a 40mm flat spot 5mm forward of center for just a little forward lean. It has the "feel" performance wise of a 9' radius. On your size blades if you go with a larger flat, they'll start to feel like skis, especially for a foward like yourself. Granted some skaters like the larger flats, but starting with a 40mm should be fine and you can adjust from there. If you were strictly a foward at 30/40 would be good.

CAGS put a flat spot on your blade, so if you have a 272mm blade, the only change is putting the flat near the middle, the rest of your stock radius won't change. So if you get for example a 25/40, you'll have that 40mm flat in the middle and the bauer 9' on each side of that.

Hope that helps.

Considering a 30-40 CAG profile would be good for a forward with a size 272 holder and would give the feel of a 9ft radius.

What would be the suggestion for a size 288 holder to have the same feel?

Would it be the same 30-40 or more like a 35-45 to account for the longer steel?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Profblade said:

Considering a 30-40 CAG profile would be good for a forward with a size 272 holder and would give the feel of a 9ft radius.

What would be the suggestion for a size 288 holder to have the same feel?

Would it be the same 30-40 or more like a 35-45 to account for the longer steel?

Thank you.

I skate on a 20-40 CAG profile with 272mm steel. I think it's closer to a 10' radius than 9'. I just went from a 280mm holder to 272mm and didn't notice any difference, but can't speak to 288mm.

I've tried 15-30 in the past (on 280mm) and that was closer to 9'. A 30/40 is going to pitch you pretty far forward, but whatever floats your boat.

Edited by birky