Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markush

Bauer 1x vs APX2 skates

I currently skate 1x and came from apx2. First of all let me preface by saying I love both of these skates and would prefer both skates equally. That said I have had the 1x for a month and a half and they are truly phenomenal! All the hype about the new features are true it is by far the best skate made to date extremely responsive with or without the speed plates. So now on to the fit.... The apx1 was a very narrow fit and the stiffest boot I have ever used, the apx2 was not as stiff and because of the lacing system they had a more normal vapor fit and the boot was less stiff but still one of the stiffest out there they took about 2 years before they broke down in stiffness. On to the 1x,.... The fit despite what people say feels wider but do not size down because of this I believe the fit feels wider because of the new lacing system and the new tongue, the boot to is more contoured to your foot. All and all 1x is the way to go definitely the next gen in skate tech but if you're strapped for cash the apx2 is still a superior skate compared to the latest models out there.

Did you experience any differences while skating?

It could be the excitement of having these skates (1x) but I felt my stride was more explosive I feel a lot more efficient speed wise where as the apx2 felt good but I didn't notice any immediate improvement with agility and skating technique. Also when using the speed plates my balance is noticeably better. Let me say I have great balance already and consider myself a very good skater or so I've been told so to feel balance improve it says a lot about these skates. Hope this helps

I agree with XOX these are the best skates I've ever tried i used Apx and APX2 before the 1X I'm a size 7 and my 1X boot is 60 grams lighter than the APX2 boot and its definitely noticeable. I feel faster more explosive on the 1X. The fit is the same although i think because the tongue iS slightly thinner than APX2 people feel they have a little more volume in the 1X to me they still feel identical in fit. The 1X and APX2 definitely have more volume than the first APX though i put the marsblades on my APXs and skated for the first time with them a week ago and i had to adjust my lacing because i was getting lace bite Ive never gotten lace bite in the 1X or APX2 for that matter. Speed plates are great especially if you used stock footbeds if your coming from yellow super feet its preference i use the speed plates over my super feet but i can see people preferring there super feet. I use LS2 steel with blackedge coating which are awesome so i can't comment on the LS4 but anyone deciding between APX2 or 1X if you can spend the extra money than do it you won't regret it.

I really wanted/want the 1X skates, but my instep is too high for them.... a shame as they fit the shape of my fit so damn nice, but I could tell I would get gnarly lacebite due to my instep.

Speed plate seems to slide around a bit. Also they seem to size a bit larger than the apx2's. It's almost like they didn't bother to fit the speed plates exactly to the skates. would love to hear a solution to this?

Wiserbud, I'm not sure what's going on with Bauer footbeds lately, but the MX3 footbed SWIMS in my skates. I can move them a quarter of an inch from front to back. Popped in an old pair of size 7 vapor footbeds, and they fit perfectly in my size 6.5 supremes... STRANGE!

Wiserbud, I'm not sure what's going on with Bauer footbeds lately, but the MX3 footbed SWIMS in my skates. I can move them a quarter of an inch from front to back. Popped in an old pair of size 7 vapor footbeds, and they fit perfectly in my size 6.5 supremes... STRANGE!

agree with this

Definitely agree that the 1X feels like it fits wider, and maybe a bit longer too... (vs. apx2) I only had a few skates In the apx2s, but the comparison of those vs. 1X IS noticeable in fit, and stiffness..

I'm sure some of this has to do with the new speedplates, as they are quite amazing IMO. It's a solid, centered feel if that makes any sense...

I use 1x for 3 month, Bauer has built 3 pairs for me in Canada. The only options I selected: pro exrea stiffness, pro tongues (on one skates Bobby  Clarke, on two  skates usual pro tongues with lace bite protection), and minor size mods like toe box width A . But skates witdth is regular D. 

Also I used pro apx2 many pairs. I love 1x - very agile skates. 37.5 liner is great. Skates dry faster. But when you skate hard the mosture builds up anyway.  i used speed plates several times and noticed the water accumulation under the plates in the hill area. Because there is no holes in speed plates for moisture to exit the boot - the hard plastic of the plate destroys the skates under. Also the edges of the plates cut the 37.5 liner in the areas of friction. That's why I tossed away speed plates and use regular viper insoles.

I always loved apx2. Its older generation skates and skate differently compared to 1x. 

1x is faster, stronger, more agile, modern, fit differently - I feel skates better molded for the foot. Apx2 are great skates too. But when I put my feet into 1x I felt more superior skate.

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

I use 1x for 3 month, Bauer has built 3 pairs for me in Canada. The only options I selected: pro exrea stiffness, pro tongues (on one skates Bobby  Clarke, on two  skates usual pro tongues with lace bite protection), and minor size mods like toe box width A . But skates witdth is regular D. 

Also I used pro apx2 many pairs. I love 1x - very agile skates. 37.5 liner is great. Skates dry faster. But when you skate hard the mosture builds up anyway.  i used speed plates several times and noticed the water accumulation under the plates in the hill area. Because there is no holes in speed plates for moisture to exit the boot - the hard plastic of the plate destroys the skates under. Also the edges of the plates cut the 37.5 liner in the areas of friction. That's why I tossed away speed plates and use regular viper insoles.

I always loved apx2. Its older generation skates and skate differently compared to 1x. 

1x is faster, stronger, more agile, modern, fit differently - I feel skates better molded for the foot. Apx2 are great skates too. But when I put my feet into 1x I felt more superior skate.

I bought a pair of Pro Stocks that were customized exactly to the way I would have ordered them myself; APX2 tongue, 1x boot, form fit footbeds.

At first, I thought the footbeds should be changed so I played around with, speed plates, super feet, shock doctors, and a couple others. Every time I went right back to the form fit footbeds. I have medium flexible arches so anything with too high of an arch or too low hurt me. The boot has a natural arch to it, slightly, so it works for me. I had the MX3 skates previously and didn't like the new styles of skate tongue which is why I prefer the classic style and the "tendon thing" I think is a gimmick.