Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tdellaringa

Outdoor stick taping strategy?

So it's been a good 10 years (or more) since I played outdoor inline. I know there's that wraparound product you tape to your stick, but I am not up for that. So I'm wondering how you all tape your sticks for outdoor usage, both to keep the tape on and keep the damage to the stick as little as possible.

I used to try two things.

1) I'd tape the blade normally. Then I'd take a utility knife and cut the tape off the bottom of the stick. Then I'd tape the blade *horizontally* over the bottom of the blade a few times to keep the vertical tape strips from coming off. Throw a bit of wax on top. This kept the plastic part of the bottom of the blade on the ground instead of the tape, which tears up and the whole thing falls apart.

2) OR, I'd tape normally, and then try and wax the hell out of the bottom to keep the tape from tearing apart right away. This way didn't usually work as well.

I get you are going to go through sticks outdoor a lot, so I buy fairly cheap ones ($22 for a basic wood). But I still want to try and keep it usable for as long as possible.

Subscribed.

I play a lot of outdoor roller on abrasive surfaces and I have come to terms with just blowing through ABS blades. Sherwood T20 are currently my favorite. Don't use tape at all.

I apply skateboard grip tape to the face and back of the blade to act as tape. I don't do anything to extend the wear.

Frontier X-over blades seem to last the longest for me.

I tape it almost the same way I tape for ice hockey. One horizontal row from top of the toe, around the toe and down the bottom of the blade and then tape normally. For outdoor hockey, I just add another strip along the bottom of the blade before taping vertically. I have to re-tape every couple of games, but I prefer that to using wax, which causes too much drag. This is for a smooth concrete rink, not street hockey. This probably isn't enough for asphalt or rough concrete.

Subscribed.

I play a lot of outdoor roller on abrasive surfaces and I have come to terms with just blowing through ABS blades. Sherwood T20 are currently my favorite. Don't use tape at all.

+1 to this. I have a decent shaft and replace the ABS blade about once a season unless it breaks before that. I also tape horizontally across the front and back of the blade, I prefer not to have any tape on the bottom because it creates drag on the smooth concrete surface. I would also think that any wax would rub off on the surface and make it slick on wheels.

Has anyone used a graphite blade for roller on blacktop / concrete? What life span would I look to get from it compared to an ABS blade?

I ask because I have a local shop that is selling them for cheap and if I could get 2-3 games out of a blade, that would be awesome.

On smooth concrete you'd probably get a handful of games, but on rough blacktop you'd probably wear it out in a game or less. If it's anything but fairly smooth concrete I'd stick with ABS.

Outdoor roller rinks are all we really have here. The surfaces vary from rink to rink here. The one I play at the most is has a tennis court like surface. I get about 15 or so hours out of the T20. The rink that is the worst maybe two or three games. I can say I haven't noticed anyone intentionally taping there sticks. THe only time I see tape is for shins or someone is using a retired I stick. I wish I could find somewhere to buy the T2Os in bulk for a discount. The ccm composites with the ABS blades have also faired as well as the T20s

Blades like these pictured below with the wooden inserts and extra reinforcements have lasted longer for me compared to regular ABS blades.

ccm-crossover-wooden-ice-hockey-stick-4.

bldfrontierfabs.jpg

So because Sherwood's T20 were much thicker at the heel when they came out compared to now, I've moved on to the CCM Ultimate Blade & the Alkali RPD Lite blade.

They're both lighter than the T20 and they're a much better build, the only difference is the CCM has a longer nozzle insert than the Alkali. (Un)Lucky me, I broke my OPS during ice so I just converted it so I have two shafts at different lengths to accommodate each company's blade.

Once I saw the Ice Warehouse 20% sale and the free shipping over $50, I went in and bought a bunch of each. Just tired of loving a certain blade, or a certain pattern, and then they're discontinued / change in the manufacturing process.

I remember reading somewhere (probably here) about putting a piece of tape on the front and back of the blade so it overhangs the bottom of the blade to basically create a little crevice. Then fill that crevice with an epoxy or something. Never tested it but it sounded like it may add some life to a blade.

EDIT: Found the post I think. http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/45995-using-epoxy-to-extend-the-life-of-your-blade/