Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Disappointing gear

At retail, my favorite all-time has been the Montreal P.C., their version of the Coffey. It was more smoothly curved than the Sher-Wood Coffey, though it was definitely still a hook. Puckhandling was just automatic for me with that.

I'd say the closest thing out there to it today would either be the Malkin Pro from Base or the CCM 10 (available in Europe). I actually think the 10 might be really close to the old P.C., but I'm stuck on Kovalev pro blades now: I'm just in love with the smoothness of the shooting and overall puckhandling with its huge rocker.

If I had had the gusto to do custom blades way back then, I would have just gotten the E4/PM9 with a toe kink right around 3-inches in from the end of the blade. Hell, given how well I was able to curve Christian blades at home, I should have just ordered their #1 pattern woodies and curved them myself.

Finally, the W04-Vanek is the retail curve I completely missed out on that I think may have been almost perfect for me off the shelf. As nice as the P.C. was, I just felt the pocket was a little too big and the curve a bit too smooth. I like having almost discrete steps between the sections of the blade, for overall no-look feel and passing by pointing the toe.

Interesting. As you know, I "missed out" on everything that was available prior to 2013 when I got back into hockey. So, this is all new. After all of the tinkering and "research," I am also using the Malkin BC71 Pro Stock curve from BASE. It seems to suit me. My passing has definitely improved after having used the W88 for about a year. I attribute it to the BC71 because the improvement was overnight, although it could be due to the fact that I have only used the BC71 on big rinks with good ice (in Asia, the rinks I play on are small with bad ice, which completely messes up timing for passing as the puck travels like it does on gravel).

Is this the CCM 10 Euro that you refer to? Big, closed hook? (I assume so, since you mention liking something like the Coffey, and are currently in the Malkin BC71):

http://www.inus-sport.com/hockey_ccm_sticks.htm

Easton ST blade. I wanted to try a Sakic in my old AK27, that thing made the best shaft I've ever owned and made it feel like I'd shoved a broomball blade in there. No puck feel, my shots felt dampened, and the entire thing was incredibly, obnoxiously blade heavy.

Nike Bauer One70 skates with the LS2 Power holder. After a month I took a shot to the right holder and it cracked catastrophically. They were ugly as hell with that purple hue, so I was a bit glad to put different holders on in all honesty.

CCM RBZ skates, especially the Hyperglide steel; after profiling and multiple sharps still couldn't hold an edge. Never got used to the boot either, despite baking twice and plenty of ice time.

I bought a Sherwood t90 after all the hype and was really excited for the price point. I promptly donated it 3 weeks later. to be fair this wasn't the new gen t90.

Reebok 11k Helmet - Comfort foam comes off and sticks to hair no matter what. Other helmets built like this have had the problem though so yeah.

Maltese goalie mask padding. There was nothing wrong with it per se, i just didn't find it anywhere near as comfortable as I was expecting. If it was time to replace the padding in my mask (or if my mask had the traditional beige foam) id still be using it. I just found the stock padding in the NME8 more comfortable.

1X stick

3 skates w it, and my mid price point 30k CCM is way better IMO

hell even a $130 T90 LKP is a better stick

this was my first "expensive" stick I paid full retail for too

same curve (P88 Ryan II, Hossa, Peron, Kane) same flex (mid 80's) for all sticks and it simply is getting out performed in every aspect

disappointment to say the least

now I'm stuck w a sh*tty $300 twig

Fit is not a valid reason to call something disappointing. Not all gear fits everyone. You may want a Vapor or 11k but because it don't fit, doesn't mean it's bad, it's just not for you. To me disappointing would be a skate with a runner that breaks at whim, or the stell doesn't stay tight in the holder, a bag whose zipper breaks in a month, or a stick that breaks at the lower hosel in the same spot, every time.

I absolutely understand what you're saying but I do disagree with one aspect. In my case I was a huge reebok pump skate fan for years. The lace lock and pump were great in my opinion. When ccm took over and completely changed the size to a really narrow fit that was very disappointing. Obviously not the company's fault and there is nothing wrong with the product but the fact that I won't be able to have those features on my skates anymore is disappointing.

1X stick

3 skates w it, and my mid price point 30k CCM is way better IMO

hell even a $130 T90 LKP is a better stick

this was my first "expensive" stick I paid full retail for too

same curve (P88 Ryan II, Hossa, Peron, Kane) same flex (mid 80's) for all sticks and it simply is getting out performed in every aspect

disappointment to say the least

now I'm stuck w a sh*tty $300 twig

I think you may have gotten a bad stick especially if you normally use low kick stick and didn't like it Over the last 2 years I've owed The QR1, Ribcor 40k, Ribcor Reckoner, Ek15, Ek60, V9e and the 1X in my option the 1X is the best Ive been using since it was released in February when my 1X blade went soft I bought the EK60 which just came out and it was a really good stick and i tired the Reckoner too but it broke in less than a month so i went back to the 1X the LE actually and as soon as i got back on the ice with it I was thinking "why did i ever leave you" best puck feel of any stick and the pop is just as good as ek60 and Reckoner I know everyones different but I love this stick.

I had that helmet briefly and I took decent shot to the head and it cracked on the side.

That's how EPP works, it protects you from really hard impacts by cracking to dissipate the force. If you just had a plastic shell on your head that would have hurt like hell.

Contact Easton. I had the same problem, and they sent me a new set for free.

I tried - no answer (drawbacks of being Swede). Bought a new pad set but it broke down as quick.

Also another major disappointment from Easton: The Synergy HSX pant - First it broke around the sides of the back pad (stitching) then randomly at a game one of the hip protectors (plastic) just fell off..

Got the pants returned though and selected another brand pair.

I think you may have gotten a bad stick especially if you normally use low kick stick and didn't like it Over the last 2 years I've owed The QR1, Ribcor 40k, Ribcor Reckoner, Ek15, Ek60, V9e and the 1X in my option the 1X is the best Ive been using since it was released in February when my 1X blade went soft I bought the EK60 which just came out and it was a really good stick and i tired the Reckoner too but it broke in less than a month so i went back to the 1X the LE actually and as soon as i got back on the ice with it I was thinking "why did i ever leave you" best puck feel of any stick and the pop is just as good as ek60 and Reckoner I know everyones different but I love this stick.

the blade feels hollow to me now

I wonder if its internally cracked or something? IS that even possible?

I bought it from Sport Check and they don't allow stick returns, you have to go directly to Bauer

I wonder if I contacted Bauer they would replace....

for the time being I went back to me CCM's and its a night and day difference

they are much more accurate for me as well

Easton E700 helmet - Pads breaking down and soaking sweat.

Agreed! My son liked the helmet, but the pads were horrible.

Another piece of equipment was disappointed in (but still like very much) were the CCM Tacks 5052 skates. The tongues did not hold up. CCM (working with LHS) replaced them (excellent customer service btw!), but still have the same issue with the replacement skates and the boot is not holding up as well. Creasing and indenting. Going to move up to the next level in the line as I guess he needs a stiffer boot!

Disappointed with my 48K Ribcore. Should have ponied up and bought a reckoner. Don't know where this magic pop everyone talks about is, and where it went with my 48k.

the blade feels hollow to me now

I wonder if its internally cracked or something? IS that even possible?

I bought it from Sport Check and they don't allow stick returns, you have to go directly to Bauer

I wonder if I contacted Bauer they would replace....

for the time being I went back to me CCM's and its a night and day difference

they are much more accurate for me as well

I would contact Bauer they may swap it out. Once I ordered the Nexus 1N to try it out and there was definitely something off about the stick. It was about 25 grams heavier than the heaviest estimate of its weight. It felt heavy very poor balance. Puck feel nothing special, and the pop was just ok at best. So I thought this can't be the stick people are raving about. I checked some out at my LHS and they were much lighter better balance and were easier to flex too. So I returned it to hockey monkey they took the stick back no problem, I didn't play a game with it but I took some shots obviously and stickhandled during a warm up with it. I definitely think there are some defective sticks out there that's why now I always buy sticks off the rack in person so I can choose the stick I think feels best.

Disappointing visors;

Bauer HDO ProClip Wave - poor fitting makes the visor look very big and weirdly bent (medium helmet)

Fisher Standard Visor - Was told by my hockey shop that this is the exact same visor as the PRO edition (with anti-fog+anti-scratch) only difference is that you did not receive the antifog spray and cloth. Never had a more scratched and foggy visor and I seriously doubt it's the same as PRO.

(now more than happy with my Oakley - wish I put down the extra $20 for it from the start)