Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brandonthequick

Tavares Curve (P45, C45)

Has anyone used this curve? Can anyone review it, I looked it up but just found little one sentence responses, I use a P92 currently.

I have this curve and I love it. Similar to the P88 but with a squarish toe and slightly less curve (mid 3/8" vs mid 1/2" in P88). The one thing I haven't been able to figure out is what the lie is. Some retail sites say it's a 6 and others say it's a 5.

Does anyone know what the actual lie is (CCM's website doesn't show the lie for each curve)?

Here's what icewarehouse has to say about it:

Curve:Mid 3/8
Face:slightly open
Toe:round
Length:medium
Lie:5
Player:Tavares
Playability:Traditional mid curve helps cradle the puck, excels in wrist and snap shots, and not bad on the backhand. Square toe helps digging the puck off the boards. Good all around blade.

I have this curve and I love it. Similar to the P88 but with a squarish toe and slightly less curve (mid 3/8" vs mid 1/2" in P88). The one thing I haven't been able to figure out is what the lie is. Some retail sites say it's a 6 and others say it's a 5.

Does anyone know what the actual lie is (CCM's website doesn't show the lie for each curve)?

Here's what icewarehouse has to say about it:

Curve:Mid 3/8

Face:slightly open

Toe:round

Length:medium

Lie:5

Player:Tavares

Similar Curves:tourT88, bauerP88, eastonE36,ccmP40, sherwoodPP88, warriorW88, missionP88

Playability:Traditional mid curve helps cradle the puck, excels in wrist and snap shots, and not bad on the backhand. Square toe helps digging the puck off the boards. Good all around blade.

I'm pretty darn sure its a 6. It feels like it's much more than a 5.

Ice Warehouse claims it is the P88/W88 clone. I asked them multiple times which curve is the same, and they said P45 every time.

Well, my LHS finally got the Ultra Tacks sticks in so I could see them myself. The P45 isn't really that close to a P88. The P45 had less of a curve, and it was a little more of a toe (or less of a heel). The toe was a little more open also. And it is definitely not a lie 5. It was almost the same as a P92, which is a 6. The P40, which is the P88 clone, is listed as a 6, but is as low as my P92L5 or PM9. P45, listed as a 5, was much higher.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, IW has it listed as a 6 not a 5! ;) All joking aside, I confirmed it is a 6.0, not a 5.0 like previously listed.

Also, they're grouped as "similar curves" not "curve clones".

True, Chase. It is listed as a similar curve, not a clone. But I asked customer service more than once which is the closest to being a clone to P88/W88. They said P45. That's not true. If I had listened to them, I would have bought a stick I couldn't use. P40 is the clone/closest. Sadly, you guys missed out on a sale because I just had a feeling that was P45 was wrong (and was told on here also) and bought at my LHS when I could confirm.

Thanks for correcting the listing. I think if it was correct before I would have taken the chance and bought a P40 from you knowing a P45 wouldn't have been the right lie.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, IW has it listed as a 6 not a 5! ;) All joking aside, I confirmed it is a 6.0, not a 5.0 like previously listed.

Also, they're grouped as "similar curves" not "curve clones".

Hey Chase...thanks for updating the CCM curve chart on the IW site (to show a lie 6 instead of 5 for P45).....it was definitely causing me some confusion!

A continuous lie chart would be great. Something for the Pattern DB here maybe. I'm picturing a silhouette of the blades in the DB at the same scale and at the same angle with respect to the camera. It could be possible list them in ascending or descending order then, and one could have two or three blades shown at once to compare their geometry "side by side". That way we could see just how low one company's '5' lie is compared to another. Even the same company can have contradicting listings.

Yes it is slightly more open than the p88. I would say the closest thing in terms of the blade curve would be the p38. The p45 does have less rocker than most current retail patterns.

You are welcome to get on that. God helps those who help themselves.

Would love to if I could, but I lack the hockey hardware to do it. Curves available here are incredibly limited--mostly P92 and P19 (CCM), with some E28 at the other shop in Copenhagen. At least if there's interest in it on here I can consider getting it going in the future, if I get back to the States for a bit. Also, I was thinking since the blade face would already be there, why not add the curve?

On further thought, I could potentially try to get something working using the 3-D models of some of the blades available on the DB, but my pipeline is pretty loaded for the next few months.

Does anyone know if Tavares curve is similar to the curve that Kane and Giroux actually uses in game. It looks very similar to both.

Pretty sure I've read here that Kane and Giroux use a P10.

I just switched from using pm9 clones exclusively for probably 8 years to a Tavares, and have had no problem with the transition. When I compare the lies of each at the heel/back 3rd of the blade, they seem really similar, if not identical, to me. I was surprised that the IW site didn't list the pm9 as a "comparable curve." I think the Tavares is about half way between a pm9 and p88.

Aesthetically, I wish it had a more rounded toe. I feel like it's hard to get a buttery smooth tape job on a square-ish toe. If your stick and socks aren't taped 100% perfectly, I don't know why you'd bother stepping on the ice. Sick flow is so much more important than effort or ability.