Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Znqt

Soft slapshots? Stick Flex?

Hopefully you guys can help me solve this little dilemma.

I'm 20 years old, 6 feet tall, and a lean 165 pounds. I used an 85 flex stick for a couple years before switching to a 75 flex which was solely to work on my release and getting more flex behind my snapshots. After about a season, I switched back up to an 87 flex MX3 and now my snap shots are much more powerful and I can get them off extremely quickly and effortlessly. My problem is that my slap shot power has not increased in a long time and I know that they could probably be much harder if I switch to a 95 flex stick. What I am worried about is that if I make the change to a 95 flex, I may get harder slap shots, but my wristers and snappers might be considerably less powerful. I am mostly just concerned that I am not strong, or heavy enough to use a stick of that stiffness to its full potential. I play left wing, but I do like to move back to the point on powerplays.

So my question is, will a stiffer stick be too difficult for me to use for all types of shots? What have your experiences been with stick flex's? and do you think anything stiffer than 87 would be too stiff for me? thanks.

There are many type of players. So we can't say easily about stick flex and shootable kinds.

But in this case, how do you think to see Phil Kessel. He has been using very whippy stick but can shoot 100mile over slap shot. It can be said the same thing to Ovechkin. Then also how about Patrick Kane? His wrist shoot is so fast and has much accuracy. But his slap shot doesn't exceed even 90miles.

Kessel- 183cm/80flex cut at chin

Ovi- 190cm/77~flex cut at clavicle

Kane- 179cm/100~flex

Naturally, you're going to have a trade off. Using the higher flex will probably improve some aspects of your game (i.e. shot power, slappers, puck battles, etc.), but it can also hurt you in other areas (i.e. wristers, making the stick work for you, etc.) You have to decide what's important for you and go with that. It's about striking a balance between the pros and cons that you'll be happy with.

You can also try to get stronger - add more muscle mass, and also really try to perfect your technique in order to get more out of using a stiffer flex. Being that you're 20, you have the potential to get stronger within the next couple of years until you hit your ceiling. (if you max out)

With that said, imho, slappers are overrated. Having a quick release with accuracy is much more important that huge high speed bombs. I see a lot more players shooting quick wristers/snappers from far out, hoping to get the puck through on a screen or a deflection, rather than trying to use a slapper to just flat out beat the goalie. Slapper wind ups in game situations (at all levels), sometimes, just takes too much time.

If you want to improve your slap shot, find a coach to give you a couple private lessons on shooting. It should make a huge difference, it did for me. Improving your technique will improve your power.

im 5'10" 230 and I use a 77 flex. I tend to cut mine down a lot. I noticed the biggest difference is, lower hand placement depending on kick points. higher kicks I really have to get my lower hand down low to stiffen her up. on the low kicks I can relax my lower hands much more and to me, I find they play stiffer overall. just my two cents.

These preferences come in all shapes and sizes. Here are some of the pros and cons from what I have experienced in the past year or two.

75 Flex:

I found power to be effortless, quick off camber snaps or wrist shots came off nicely from a power perspective but I also noticed that they were MUCH more erratic. I noticed that if I was trying to take the puck or dig into the corners I would get wrapped up because my blade would be at a stop while my stick was flexing. The worst was accepting hard passes and even sending hard passes because for me the stick was doing so much work my passes sometimes were almost shots.

85 Flex:

This is probably the jack of all trades but the master of none flex, if you dont specialize in a particular type of shot this should work well.

95 Flex:

This flex is a lot more popular and available in retail now for those who think that 100 is too stiff but 85 isnt stiff enough or for the guys who want 100 stiffness but cut their sticks. It seems to be a sweet spot for guys that have bigger shots.

100 Flex:

Puck feel improves in my opinion because passes arent muffed by the stick flexing, all shots are strong even though youre getting less flex out of it youre getting more punch when the stick snaps the shot off.

Remember this above all, technique, technique, technique! All of that scientific babble is worthless if you dont have strong technique and if you do you can be a small guy making a high flex stick work for you it just depends on what shots you take and how often. I like to take opposite side one timers, I can get an in stride slapshot off pretty quick and wrist shots an occassional thing for me so I am using 1X 102 flex sticks. Keep in mind you need to take the flex rating with a grain of salt because more often than not sticks play stiffer or softer than advertised.

Examples:

NXG/MX3 87 is stiffer than APX2/1X

Warriors new HD1 85 flex is EASILY 100 flex in almost anything else

Reebok/CCM Ribcors do not flex like a normal stick, an 85 flex feels like 100 flexing it in store and if you backhand flex it, it feels like an 85 only then.