Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyDangle

Shin Pad Knee Protection

After searching through the forums (MSH and others) and reading several reviews, I noticed that not many folks talk about the knee protection offered by shin pads. For obvious reasons the focus is always on the shin area, I hadn't given it much thought myself until a knee injury just under a year ago, been a couple of months since I started skating again.

I'm currently in AX1s; no fear blocking shots, very solid pad. But I fell into the boards knees first (lost my balance on a puck battle/breakaway, wasn't able to turn my body) and banged my knees up pretty bad. I understand that there will likely always be some discomfort (it's a fast game) but still want to see if anyone's got suggestions?

Specific pads I'm considering:

-20K: I've always thought the JDP tech was clever branding (aren't all pads are supposed to disperse impact away from the joint?) but am curious as to how effective it actually is.

-NXG: Love the fit (grew up on Bauer, its what I'm used to) and the Poron knee liner is a nice touch.

-MX3: Same as above but with the evolved Flexorb knee donut.

Looked at the Tacks as well, did some research on D30 vs Poron/Flexorb (not limited to hockey data) and from what I was able to gather the Poron/Flexorb tends to hold up better over time whereas the D30 will lose some of its ability to harden upon impact. I noticed many on the forum love their Makos, but as mentioned above wasn't able to find much feedback on the knee protection.

Thanks!

Personally, I've always only worn Jofa or Reebok shins. That's largely because they feel the most natural on my legs. I've had various levels, from their intermediate pads with only removable knee liners as well as top-end with full removable liners. Not only do they offer good range of motion, I've never sensed any pain or discomfort whatsoever from falls, slashes or shot blocks. I'm not really impressed with the 20k's liners and straps and all that, but I realize tech-ing out those parts of any pad are necessary to try and win sales these days.

I am one of those skaters that tend to skates pretty fast (for me and my size) and just loose an edge and end up sliding into the boards really hard and often time it ends up being knees first for one reason or another. I've had no issues with my Easton EQ50s and now no issues with my CCM Ultra Tacks. I've used Easton RS and a pair of Grafs before where I had discomfort in my knees after a fall or run in with the boards and both the EQ50s and Tacks have served me really well in that regard.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the NXG or MX3 as I have no experience with them.

I think most shin guards offer the same in protection as far as what the shell is made of. It's how the inside of the pad differs that will make the difference in protection for hits like that. You want to minimize your knee from hitting the back of the knee pad. My shin guards are Easton Stealth 75S II and they have a big thick removable liner with a donut hole for your knee cap. I've never had any pain after taking hits while wearing them. They look really big on my legs because of how thick the liner is, but the thickness of the liner is what helps absorb the blow so your body doesn't.

I don't have any experience with any of the shin guards you listed, but I know that most of the people on here who have the Easton Makos love them. The Ultra Tacks look like they would be really protective, and based on the pictures it looks like the D3O is a bit recessed so your knee cap would only come into contact with it on big hits like the one you had. The MX3s I can't tell by the pictures if your knee is actually resting on the hard cap, but Bauer is a good brand.

Personally, I've always only worn Jofa or Reebok shins. That's largely because they feel the most natural on my legs. I've had various levels, from their intermediate pads with only removable knee liners as well as top-end with full removable liners. Not only do they offer good range of motion, I've never sensed any pain or discomfort whatsoever from falls, slashes or shot blocks. I'm not really impressed with the 20k's liners and straps and all that, but I realize tech-ing out those parts of any pad are necessary to try and win sales these days.

I agree about Reebok shin guards. I've been in 11k's for a few years now and have 0 complaints. Great protection and range of motion, but also super comfortable.

I'm a huge fan of the mako shins, specifically how much the knee cap moves in relation to the shin cap. Great mobility, and the most comfortable shins I've ever worn.

Reebok 20ks are the best retail pad available. End of story.

I found those uncomfortable.

I'm a huge fan of the mako shins, specifically how much the knee cap moves in relation to the shin cap. Great mobility, and the most comfortable shins I've ever worn.

They did feel a little stiff for the 1st few skates but after they broke in they are amazing. Protection is great and they are very customizable.

Makos are great. I had them until i took a slapshot straight on and ended up in the ER getting X-rays with a golfball sized hema on my shin :ohmy:

Ouch my leg. Shin guards not working.

A photo posted by Jake King (@kingofnooyork) on

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:12am PDT

I think most shin guards offer the same in protection as far as what the shell is made of. It's how the inside of the pad differs that will make the difference in protection for hits like that. You want to minimize your knee from hitting the back of the knee pad. My shin guards are Easton Stealth 75S II and they have a big thick removable liner with a donut hole for your knee cap. I've never had any pain after taking hits while wearing them. They look really big on my legs because of how thick the liner is, but the thickness of the liner is what helps absorb the blow so your body doesn't.

I have the same pads...they're removeable? Nice! I've been washing the entire pad. :lol:

I wear them when I'm playing league or dropin...and there's some risk of taking a slapper or sliding into the boards.

I have some lighter 55S pads I wear for pond skating or coaching where my biggest risk is hitting the ice.

Makos are great. I had them until i took a slapshot straight on and ended up in the ER getting X-rays with a golfball sized hema on my shin :ohmy:

Ouch my leg. Shin guards not working.

Ouch. Okay so maybe they're good for D6 beer league then :P I just went for comfort above all else.

I'm also in the market for some good shin pads. I took a clapper directly off the front of the shin and got a real nice stinger and bruise, Bauer x:30 shins that I got like 4 years ago. I tried APX2 shins but I found them too bulky, and I recently tried on RBZ 130 and they seemed to be ok. I was going to try the Tacks line but they seemed really bulky just by looking at them. Does anyone have any suggestions for a low profile, protective and in the price range of under $80? Sorry if that's too specific :)

The new Warrior Dynasty line looks really nice, and was pretty comfortable in store. Not sure on the protection but Warrior has had a pretty good track record in that regard.

Except the MX3, I've worn / tried on all of the top end shins mentioned here plus more (Jofa, AX1, NXG, TO, RS, EQ50, Mako, Nexus 8000, APX2, RBZ, U+ etc). I still haven't found anything better than Rbk 10k / 11k / 20k. I don't care that they are built like a tank and are on the larger size - for comfort, knee lock and superb protection they tick every box.

And to the OP - my AX1's are sitting on the shelf unworn because I never felt comfortable with the way my knee sat in the pad. In Rbks I've hit the boards full speed with my knees taking the brunt of the impact and got up and walked away.

I'm also in the market for some good shin pads. I took a clapper directly off the front of the shin and got a real nice stinger and bruise, Bauer x:30 shins that I got like 4 years ago. I tried APX2 shins but I found them too bulky, and I recently tried on RBZ 130 and they seemed to be ok. I was going to try the Tacks line but they seemed really bulky just by looking at them. Does anyone have any suggestions for a low profile, protective and in the price range of under $80? Sorry if that's too specific :)

Anything Reebok or CCM < $80. Reebok's a pretty good deal now if you can find your size since it's the end of the line for the brand in hockey.

A quick search on Hockey Monkey shows even the 18K for $80.

When you say they looked bulky, what do you mean exactly? Is it a problem if pads look bigger? If you want adequate protection, that's one way to accomplish it: with sufficient bulk. Yet, if the bulk is properly allocated, it won't be a hinderance to wear and move around in.

Anything Reebok or CCM < $80. Reebok's a pretty good deal now if you can find your size since it's the end of the line for the brand in hockey.

A quick search on Hockey Monkey shows even the 18K for $80.

When you say they looked bulky, what do you mean exactly? Is it a problem if pads look bigger? If you want adequate protection, that's one way to accomplish it: with sufficient bulk. Yet, if the bulk is properly allocated, it won't be a hinderance to wear and move around in.

I have a big issue when wearing my edge socks, they were almost bursting out of the seams in the APX2 shins, was very uncomfortable to skate in. I'm not a big guy by any means either, 5'6". When I saw the tacks they looked really wide to me

I have a big issue when wearing my edge socks, they were almost bursting out of the seams in the APX2 shins, was very uncomfortable to skate in. I'm not a big guy by any means either, 5'6". When I saw the tacks they looked really wide to me

How big are your calves? I am 6'3 and wear 17 inch Ultra Tacks and don't have issues with edge socks. They look big and are super protective but I have not once noticed them on my leg.

Hey bud! I use the CCM tacks with the D30 foam and I love them. Very comfortable and also protective. Puck and stick impacts are not a concern. I can't say that I have crashed into the boards knees first with them but I have fallen on the ice to my knees a few times with most of my body weight and I didn't feel a thing. Good luck!

I am one of those skaters that tend to skates pretty fast (for me and my size) and just loose an edge and end up sliding into the boards really hard and often time it ends up being knees first for one reason or another. I've had no issues with my Easton EQ50s and now no issues with my CCM Ultra Tacks. I've used Easton RS and a pair of Grafs before where I had discomfort in my knees after a fall or run in with the boards and both the EQ50s and Tacks have served me really well in that regard.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the NXG or MX3 as I have no experience with them.

Yup sounds just like me lol.

I don't have any experience with any of the shin guards you listed, but I know that most of the people on here who have the Easton Makos love them. The Ultra Tacks look like they would be really protective, and based on the pictures it looks like the D3O is a bit recessed so your knee cap would only come into contact with it on big hits like the one you had. The MX3s I can't tell by the pictures if your knee is actually resting on the hard cap, but Bauer is a good brand.

Great point about the interior protection.

Ouch, that looks gnarly.

Except the MX3, I've worn / tried on all of the top end shins mentioned here plus more (Jofa, AX1, NXG, TO, RS, EQ50, Mako, Nexus 8000, APX2, RBZ, U+ etc). I still haven't found anything better than Rbk 10k / 11k / 20k. I don't care that they are built like a tank and are on the larger size - for comfort, knee lock and superb protection they tick every box.

And to the OP - my AX1's are sitting on the shelf unworn because I never felt comfortable with the way my knee sat in the pad. In Rbks I've hit the boards full speed with my knees taking the brunt of the impact and got up and walked away.

Knee protection aside, I feel the same way about my AX1s. I really want to like the pad but it just feels so awkward.

Hey bud! I use the CCM tacks with the D30 foam and I love them. Very comfortable and also protective. Puck and stick impacts are not a concern. I can't say that I have crashed into the boards knees first with them but I have fallen on the ice to my knees a few times with most of my body weight and I didn't feel a thing. Good luck!

Safe, some of the those knee first falls can be pretty bad.

Thanks for the feedback all, gonna head to the LHS tomorrow and try a few different pads on. Got a buyer lined up for those AX1s too :)

I fell on my knee in NXG, and had a bruise (not visible, just hurt, maybe inside the knee) for about 2-3 weeks. I switched to 20Ks, and have not experienced any issue.

I heard stories like the one mentioned here about the Makos lacking in protection. It seems like one cannot really tell the level of protection, until one takes a few hard shots off of various regions of the shin, and takes a few falls.

Went with the 20Ks, too many recommendations and positive reviews to ignore. A local Sport Chek had pair 1 pair of 15s left and on clearance for $99 CAD, took me an hour on the phone and stopped at 4 stores so I hope they're worth it.

I found the fit comparable to the Tacks 6052, which is what I would have bought otherwise (couldn't justify the price jump to the Ultra for such marginal differences). They fit my legs well, despite the bulk they're extremely light, and are quite comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the idiotic strapping system, just about every review had mentioned it but their criticisms don't do it justice, whoever designed it ought to be slapped. If I decide to keep them after a few skates, I'm definitely going to be modifying both straps.

Thanks again for all the input!

Went with the 20Ks, too many recommendations and positive reviews to ignore. A local Sport Chek had pair 1 pair of 15s left and on clearance for $99 CAD, took me an hour on the phone and stopped at 4 stores so I hope they're worth it.

I found the fit comparable to the Tacks 6052, which is what I would have bought otherwise (couldn't justify the price jump to the Ultra for such marginal differences). They fit my legs well, despite the bulk they're extremely light, and are quite comfortable. The only thing I don't like is the idiotic strapping system, just about every review had mentioned it but their criticisms don't do it justice, whoever designed it ought to be slapped. If I decide to keep them after a few skates, I'm definitely going to be modifying both straps.

Thanks again for all the input!

I cut the straps and use shin sleeves. This keeps the shins flush against my lower legs.

20Ks are a bit lighter than the Ultra Tacks too.

Yeah the top straps are a little uncomfortable if you're not wearing a long undergarment/compression pants. If you do wear them they feel fine. I also pulled the extra calf padding off as well as the top piece above the cap to make room for girdle.