Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sticktime

Combo radius equivalent?

Before I spend the money and experiment, this is what I'd like to know from anyone who has knowledge:

I skate on a reebok 28k size 6, 9 ft radius, 1/2 inch hollow, with a +2 pitch. I like being on the toes, but since the center of gravity, or pivot, is shifted back, I'm wondering how to gain back some of the stability that there is with a neutral profile.

My thinking is that an 11 ft radius with a +2 pitch would work? I don't want to lose any agility, and I know that if I went with a 11 ft neutral radius that would happen, but, if I add the pitch would it make it more like the 9ft with the pitch?

I think that I would kinda accept giving up a smidge of agility for stability. And I don't think going further than a +2 pitch would be good since it would be shaving more steel and that may affect stride, toe flick, etc.....

Hoping some can chime in. Thx.

I have Mako 2's and recently moved from the standard 9ft radius to 11ft. I thought there was going to be a huge difference, and to be honest, I didn't notice much (I'm only a beer leaguer anyway, FRW). What I did notice though was that I was far more stable being shoved around the opponents net than I was before, and sticks to the small of the back definitely didn't unbalance me. It took a little getting used to, but well worth it (I think for me).

My local sharpener though who profiled it, said that he would play around with the radius if it didn't work out. So I went from a 9ft to 9ft and 11ft combo, didn't notice any difference, went to a straight 11 and that's when I noticed the additional stability. I'll take a 10% less agility to probably 10-20% more speed and 50% more balance.

Not sure if that helps!

I did the same recently but not through choice. Broke my Velocity Black Edge steels (9') during a game and put the stock Graf steels (11') back on. I've been on Black Edge for the last 2 years and thought an 11' radius would take a lot to get used to, if at all, before my new steels turned up. More stability and speed and hardly noticed any loss of agility. I'll try the 9' radius when the new blades turn up but at this stage I'm tempted to stay on 11'. Give it a go, at worst you loose some steel if you change the the profile again.

Thx guys, that's def. the type of feedback info I'm looking for. What size are your skates? I guess my other concern is that I've read on MSH that some guys in a smaller skate, like a 5 or 5.5, have even felt like a 9 ft radius was too much and went to an 8 or 7.

I know that an 11ft radius on a size 6 skate like mine would feel very different, but I'm hoping that with a +2 itch it may not be that bad.

My son has a 8 / 11 combo in his size 6 MX3's and says it puts him more on the balls of his feet than the stock steels.

Had the 11' radius put on with a +2 pitch.

Immediate difference noticed as far as balance, But what was even more thrilling was the strides were more fluid and powerful, and got a longer golds as well. Can really get a good push and extension and toe snap. Really liked it.

As far as any loss of agility, the only thing I can pinpoint is that on turns I had to use my ankle a smidge more and turn it to lead me through the turn, instead of with a 9' radius the skate would just turn when I leaned. I actually feel like the fact that I have to use my ankle a bit more will be better for me in the long run since it's seemingly strengthening them.

I think that if I had just an 11' radius with no pitch though it would be a different story. I think that's where I'd really notice a decrease in agility and turning. Thus, it's gotta be the pitch that is making the difference.

Greetings, I'm new here and have a question about others experience with different runner profiles. I thought this would be the best thread instead of starting a new one. Historically I have skated with a 7'/11' minor forward profile (271 runner) Recently I purchased a pair of VH customs (great skate) and as a result I have gone to a Smaller runner (263). The profile is a stock 9' neutral radius. I would like to get a profile that gets more blade to the ice as I'm having difficulty making the transition to the smaller runner particularly coming out of a crossover I have no speed. I thought about going to a 8'/12' minor forward but I'm interested in adding 30 mm flat blade so it would be 8'/30mm/12' minor forward pitch. Has anyone had any experience with this combination? I might add that I'm a 42 yo beer leaguer 6' 162# with a higher center of gravity so stability is important. Right now I feel as if I lack speed and stability. Sorry for the lengthy rant

Greetings, I'm new here and have a question about others experience with different runner profiles. I thought this would be the best thread instead of starting a new one. Historically I have skated with a 7'/11' minor forward profile (271 runner) Recently I purchased a pair of VH customs (great skate) and as a result I have gone to a Smaller runner (263). The profile is a stock 9' neutral radius. I would like to get a profile that gets more blade to the ice as I'm having difficulty making the transition to the smaller runner particularly coming out of a crossover I have no speed. I thought about going to a 8'/12' minor forward but I'm interested in adding 30 mm flat blade so it would be 8'/30mm/12' minor forward pitch. Has anyone had any experience with this combination? I might add that I'm a 42 yo beer leaguer 6' 162# with a higher center of gravity so stability is important. Right now I feel as if I lack speed and stability. Sorry for the lengthy rant

working a lot this summer with that skate and with the issues with smaller holders I would suggest that you go to either a combo of say 9.5 10.5 or a straight 11. I would suggest to not put any pitch in as the skate has plenty in it. Every guy so far I have done the VH skates for. (about 70 fits so far) has gone to a neutral blade as the boot pitch was plenty. And almost every single player had blade pitch prior.

The 8/30mmflat/12' would give you plenty of blade on the ice and more stability, yet the 8' in front would give decent turning as well. You could even go with a 8/40/12' but for you I think the regular 8/12' neutral would be just fine to achieve what you are looking for.

working a lot this summer with that skate and with the issues with smaller holders I would suggest that you go to either a combo of say 9.5 10.5 or a straight 11. I would suggest to not put any pitch in as the skate has plenty in it. Every guy so far I have done the VH skates for. (about 70 fits so far) has gone to a neutral blade as the boot pitch was plenty. And almost every single player had blade pitch prior.

+1 to doing a straight 11'. The most I can use on my VHs is a Blackstone 13' +2 on 263mm. This seems to be my "sweet spot".

I have Mako 2's and recently moved from the standard 9ft radius to 11ft. I thought there was going to be a huge difference, and to be honest, I didn't notice much (I'm only a beer leaguer anyway, FRW). What I did notice though was that I was far more stable being shoved around the opponents net than I was before, and sticks to the small of the back definitely didn't unbalance me. It took a little getting used to, but well worth it (I think for me).

My local sharpener though who profiled it, said that he would play around with the radius if it didn't work out. So I went from a 9ft to 9ft and 11ft combo, didn't notice any difference, went to a straight 11 and that's when I noticed the additional stability. I'll take a 10% less agility to probably 10-20% more speed and 50% more balance.

Not sure if that helps!

Did you go to Justin at Max Performance Sports, or the Hockey Shop?

Did you go to Justin at Max Performance Sports, or the Hockey Shop?

I actually goto Skaters Edge in Coquitlam.. by far one of the best sharpeners around.. I use him every few months.. I have a X01 Blackstone at home for touch-ups

Wanted to chime back in here with some interesting info. Stopped in for a sharpening today by the rink and the owner and I were talking about pitch and blade size, yadda yadda yadda.......and he tells me that one of the hockey skating instructors at the nearby university team is on a +8!! And that this instructor works with some of the Pengiuns and they are on a +3 and +4. He sharpens theirs and the instructors.

So I'm wondering how in the world people can skate on that pitch. I know that when I fiddled around with pitch I only went up to a +2 and it really was a drastic difference: Liked the "get going" feeling, but, it messed up my shot. And balance was something to get use to.

Anyone out there skating on a big pitch?

Wanted to chime back in here with some interesting info. Stopped in for a sharpening today by the rink and the owner and I were talking about pitch and blade size, yadda yadda yadda.......and he tells me that one of the hockey skating instructors at the nearby university team is on a +8!! And that this instructor works with some of the Pengiuns and they are on a +3 and +4. He sharpens theirs and the instructors.

So I'm wondering how in the world people can skate on that pitch. I know that when I fiddled around with pitch I only went up to a +2 and it really was a drastic difference: Liked the "get going" feeling, but, it messed up my shot. And balance was something to get use to.

Anyone out there skating on a big pitch?

Have to see it to believe it. Everyone has a different idea of what + is so his plus 8 could be like 4mm? So I would want to see this plus 8 before commenting.

He uses a blademaster, total hockey in Cranberry Twp. uses blackstone. I've had both places do pitch for me before and they're equivalent as far as their pitch they put on. I think they both just go by the clicks on the dial. So both machines must be even as far as their pitch settings.

That said, one of the skate techs at the total hockey in Robinson Twp. said a guy was in there last month and wanted a +7 on T1's to match his old Mission skates.

The only way I can even fathom these preferences is if the are large size skates.

That said, I recently went up to an 11' radius. With either a +3 or +4 pitch. Figured on a size 6 skate I needed to get some good forward lean so they didn't feel like battleships on my feet. Felt so much more stable than on a 9'. No loss of agility at all, or quick lateral movements. I attribute that to the pitch.

On 2/18/2016 at 4:38 PM, sticktime said:

He uses a blademaster, total hockey in Cranberry Twp. uses blackstone. I've had both places do pitch for me before and they're equivalent as far as their pitch they put on. I think they both just go by the clicks on the dial. So both machines must be even as far as their pitch settings.

That said, one of the skate techs at the total hockey in Robinson Twp. said a guy was in there last month and wanted a +7 on T1's to match his old Mission skates.

The only way I can even fathom these preferences is if the are large size skates.

That said, I recently went up to an 11' radius. With either a +3 or +4 pitch. Figured on a size 6 skate I needed to get some good forward lean so they didn't feel like battleships on my feet. Felt so much more stable than on a 9'. No loss of agility at all, or quick lateral movements. I attribute that to the pitch.

I think what I am asking is what is the measurement in inches or fractions of that equals this amount. Because after doing the study on this anything over 1/32nd of an inch in blade pitch is useless. Now that being said all depends on the boot and what is needed to make it neutral and so on. But if someone was skating on lets say a plus 7 and it was 7/32nds of an inch that would look ridiculous. So maybe its 64th's? Even still thats now a fair bit of pitch as well.