Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

learning hockey at an advanced age

I'm 27 going on 28 and am planning to learn to play hockey with no experience. I've never skated save for a one hour juant on a local rink 3 years ago, never handled a stick, etc. Whats the potential cieling for someone with my background? I've spoken to some friends with hockey backgrounds and the general consensus is that achieving sufficient proficiency for even the lowest recreational league is a long shot.

Depends on your tenacity to improve and how quickly you can pick up techniques. I'm currently teaching a 32 year old woman and she's at the beginner level (she can stop, skate backwards and shoot) and she achieved that within 8-10 months or so. She won't be playing at a "competitive level" for at least another year or so. But the thing that's important to note that she does two hockey classes, plays games, and she gets taught by me. So, she's definitely passionate about learning and playing (when she first started she told me she never had any intention of playing, but with a little time and patience, she got the confidence to want to play).

So to sum it up: The more dedicated you are, the quicker and more proficient you'll become at being a hockey player!

• Like 1

Ignore the people who say you can't do it. Work hard and listen to advice you get along the way, and have fun. You may never get out of a bottom tier beer league, but that's hardly the point. Just get out and have fun.

I started at 27, BTW. Now 33.

• Like 1

Never listen to naysayers. I'm 54 going on 14 and I took the game up last year. I skated in a tournament and a recreational league this spring after taking a adult beginner skills course last winter. I start c league in about 6 weeks. I have a ball and although I'm not highly skilled or anything, I'm learning all the time and am a reasonably effective grinder.....DO IT!!!!

• Like 3

I've spoken to some friends with hockey backgrounds and the general consensus is that achieving sufficient proficiency for even the lowest recreational league is a long shot.

That's bullshit.

You're not going to end up in the NHL, you're not going to get a college scholarship, you're ineligible for Juniors, and probably not going to the Olympics.

You're at or just barely past peak muscle development (not that hockey is a game of purely muscles), and yes, you are beyond the age 10-13 window of peak skill development.

Beyond that, it's pretty much up to you.

Not that NW Montana is a hockey hotbed, but we have 250+ adult skaters in four league divisions. The top A division is full of people who played pro, semipro, D1-D3, and Juniors. The "less skilled" guys in the division played significant HS hockey.

The B+ division below that is mostly people who played through HS, smaller colleges, and generally started as kids--and a couple of very skilled women--plus a few people who started as adults and have pushed themselves really hard over the past 6-8 years.

The B division below that is full of the old (55-65+) guys who used to play higher divisions, but are slowing down; and a lot of people who started 6-10 years ago as adults.

C division is all people who started as adults, from never-evers who started last year like Caihlen above, to people who have played 10+ years but never progressed beyond that stage. Could you learn enough in 4-6 months to play in this lowest recreational league? Fuck yes.

Whats the potential cieling for someone with my background?

I started only two years ago, at 38. I push myself hard, probably 60-70 times on the ice every year, pond skating, dropins, league, helping coach kids, and running an adult beginner skills course. I hope to get the nod to play B division if not this year next year.

The bottom tier beer league is FULL of people who learned as adults, and it's a blast.

Don't let the naysayers keep you from playing this awesome sport.

If you truly want to play, fully commit yourself and push yourself.

If you get into a novice/beginner/learn to play group, don't only learn there. Go to open skate and practice the skating skills you learned in class.

Watch YouTube videos.

Play pond hockey (12 year olds can humble you).

Watch youth hockey games. It's hard to watch the NHL and relate as a beginner adult, but if you watch a skilled 10 year-old, you can visualize yourself doing those things.

If you get on a league team, be a good teammate, don't borrow shin tape, bring beer to share, don't take long shifts, laugh if you fall down, stop if you knock someone else over, be receptive and appreciative to constructive criticism, and bring beer to share.

Edited by MThockeydad
  • Like 7

If you get on a league team, be a good teammate, don't borrow shin tape, bring beer to share, don't take long shifts, laugh if you fall down, stop if you knock someone else over, be receptive and appreciative to constructive criticism, and bring beer to share.

That's what it's all about.

• Like 1

I'm 27 going on 28 and am planning to learn to play hockey with no experience. I've never skated save for a one hour juant on a local rink 3 years ago, never handled a stick, etc. Whats the potential cieling for someone with my background? I've spoken to some friends with hockey backgrounds and the general consensus is that achieving sufficient proficiency for even the lowest recreational league is a long shot.

There is no ceiling. Sure, you will look like Bambi on ice at the outset but as long as you keep with it and put in some time and effort then who knows how much you can improve.

• Like 1

don't just work on skating and stick handling. Learn the game and rules before you get on the ice. Watch as much hockey as you can to see what is happening. If you can watch games with someone who has knowledge it really helps because they can answer questions, show you things you missed or tell you why something happened. When you start to play you will have a good idea where to line up, where to be and what to do.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. I've seen a lot of newbies play their first games and it is always fun to watch and help them progress.

• Like 1

Yep a couple of those in Southern California.

I'm actually shocked they had enough newbies to create two full teams last season. And I'm talking about guys who have never even put pads on before... THAT kind of newbie.

Man, I just having a tough time getting by "27" as an advanced age.

Though I've skated for years, I played my first actual league game 1 year ago & am 45, so apparently near placement in senior living.

Don't know who these cats are, who are telling you that being able to compete at a rookie league or D league, is going to be difficult to achieve, if not impossible. In a nutshell, they're asshats.

There are variables, time spent practicing, being an athlete/athletic ability ect., but it's not exactly learning heart replacement surgery.

• Like 3

Sorry, I couldn't open the .pdf on my tablet. Didn't see that.

Call them and ask. Hockey is worth it.

Edit:

I took a semi-private power skating class last spring with my kid. The oldest kid in the class was 14. I was 39. (Two other dad/coaches took it this spring, loved it both as players and as coaches).

Edited by MThockeydad

I tried calling but wasn't able to get through to a representative, but according to their page they have adult learn to skate.

I'm left handed and play baseball, where I throw and bat lefty. I was informed that in hockey you shoot on your non dominant side, so I'd need a right handed stick.

Due to years of playing baseball any athletic motion is naturally performed on my left side. The associate at Hockey Giant said he too came from a baseball background and shot on his dominant hand side

That's apparently common for Americans...who play baseball before much else. You see a lot of American-born NHL players who are right-handed and shoot right, LH/shoot left.

More Canadian and European players are right-handed/shoot left or left-handed/shoot right, since they don't grow up with the baseball paradigm.

I tried starting right, and am VERY right-handed, but never played much baseball, so I was always finding myself putting my right hand on top of the stick when goofing off on the pond. I went lefty when started playing and haven't looked back.

• Like 1

That's apparently common for Americans...who play baseball before much else. You see a lot of American-born NHL players who are right-handed and shoot right, LH/shoot left.

More Canadian and European players are right-handed/shoot left or left-handed/shoot right, since they don't grow up with the baseball paradigm.

I tried starting right, and am VERY right-handed, but never played much baseball, so I was always finding myself putting my right hand on top of the stick when goofing off on the pond. I went lefty when started playing and haven't looked back.

Sort of the same, but different. Played baseball as a youth and in high school. Throw right catch left. Right eye dominant shooter. Throw right lacrosse, shoot left hockey. First stick I ever had was left and it felt great, with my right hand on top. Found out later on that there were other options!

• Like 1

A friend of mine who is a retired pro use to do this to kids just starting out. He would take a stick and put it on the ground and tell the kid to just go pick it up without thinking about it. However they picked it up was usually how they felt most comfortable holding it. One of the things you don't see anymore for kids just starting is a straight blade. We use to get kids just starting to use them so they could figure out what felt the best.

If you want to see how ingrained your stick hand is with your skating, grab the opposite hand stick and play that way (right plays left, not right plays right with a left stick). I have seen a lot of high level players loose most of their senses trying to do this. Everything goes. Try it sometime and you'll be amazed.

You can absolutely still learn at your age, and I actually highly recommend doing so. Go to several public skates at local arenas and get on the ice as much as possible. I know guys who are nearly 70 and can still keep up in some of the pickup games I go to (I'm 20). So at your age, you can definitely start learning and you will have a new hobby you can take up for several years going forward.