Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

learning hockey at an advanced age

So far as what I need to work on: everything. But, to be positive the strongest aspect of my game is my passing; I've received compliments from several players on it

My passing and shooting are my weaknesses, im working a lot on them.

Being in the right place at the right time and yourgood passing skills will get you far. Awesome that you have so much time available.

To add to what vet88 said, definitely work on one-footed slaloms and edges and simple one-footed gliding.

Yes, a vid would be excellent!

Was going to do it on Monday at my next coaching session but got cross checked into the boards today and bust my shoulder, lol McDavid has good company! Will be a couple of weeks before I'm back on the ice, will let you know when I get it done unless I can get one my students to do it earlier.

Not read all the posts but here is my 2pc,

To really get the most of what you are learning you need to be FIT... Far to many people get no where near their potential due to poor fitness. Hockey is very unique in what demands it puts on your body you really need to be a complete athlete, now that is not to say that if you are 100 pounds overweight you cannot compete as you can still do a job however..

Hockey is not a twice a week activity that you do then go off and eat shit and drink beer then wonder why you are dead after the warm up, you need to really take your overall fitness seriously if you are passionate about getting better. It can be something as simply as doing a hour of cycling 5 days of the week, you would see a massive difference in your endurance if you maintained this esp if you are unable to get on the ice to skate as often as you would like.

Also remember that you gain endurance by steady excercise not full out lung busting, just watch a morning skate for a pro team it is very controlled and about going through the drills at 70% pace, I would say about 1/2 of your on ice training should be at this pace so you can gain more time during the drills concentrating on what you are doing. Again I see players trying to do things way to fast and doing it wrong then getting pissed and hating the session.

• Like 1

Circles and some stick handling. As you can see I struggle with left over right crossovers.

You can't see due to the helmet, but while I'm stickhandling I'm looking straight ahead and using peripheral vision to keep track of the puck.

On a hilarious note, my right over left video was blocked due to a copyright claim on whatever obscure country song was playing in the background. Let me know if it's viewable

Trinituner, conditioning is definitely pivotal. Especially during pick up games where you're playing 5 minute shifts!

• Like 1

For someone that has been playing only a few months you are doing really well, and to the people that say you have no chance to play even in a lower rec league are talking bollox, who is anyone to say what your motivation is??....

I would get a skills pad if you do not have one and look online for off ice stick handling drills, as I keep banging on you need to be consistent to get better and do not have the thoughts of "not today but tomorrow" have a daily training routine.

I am a huge fan of one to one coaching and you do need some pointers to help with body postion and technique but that is very common even for advanced players, is there someone local who is a coach that can help you??..

Do not shy away from roller hockey, there is enough "ice like" chassis out there now that make the transition from roller to ice far easier than it once was defo something to look into as you can train almost anywhere.

5 minutes shift are no use what so ever, 45 seconds to 1 minute max is what you need to aim for sadly this is rare in rec hockey normally due to poor coaching or the lack of a coach :huh: , hence you are blowing out your ass after the first period.

All in you need to take the ruff with the smooth and be happy with small gains in your game, as you get older it does get harder but you still have 30+years to play this game just be consistant..

• Like 2

Trini, agreed, consistency is key. I know how rapidly sports skills dissipate if they're not meticulously mantained.

I'll look into a skills pad but I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy one immediately; unfortunately I'm not working with an unlimited budget.

I had a coach but now that I've moved I'm unable to continue lessons.

Ha, yes that's how it goes.. Playing pick-up with 1 sub is going to lead to 5 minute shifts

I'll look into a skills pad but I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy one immediately; unfortunately I'm not working with an unlimited budget.

Sheet of melamine-coated hardboard from Home Depot and a can of lemon Pledge. :)

• Like 1

That definitely fits my budget! But, if off-ice training tools allow me to perform drills without having to pay for ice time, they'll pay for themselves. Therefore I'm not adverse to shelling out some cash.

What are some options?

On a side note open hockey sessions at this rink are only 1:30, which is pretty short. However there's a public skate after open hockey which I could jump into at no extra charge, but no sticks or pucks. Think it's worth the ice time or will skating without a stick be detrimental?

I love the effort you are putting in. It's great to see. Couple of things to put on your list:

Stop looking straight ahead and trying to use your peripheral vision to see the puck. In the video when you do this you look very tight and locked in. When you tense up lack that everything goes stiff. Relax, don't be afraid to look at the puck and everything around you, everyone does. In a game you have to keep your head on a swivel. Just keep practicing and you'll start to know where the puck is. before you know it stick handling will become second hand. For your cross overs do Russian circles, both forwards and backwards. Work on getting good leg extention because that is where the power will come from. After you get comfortable doing circles do figure eight circles using both face off circles so you use both legs and learn to use your edges better.

That definitely fits my budget! But, if off-ice training tools allow me to perform drills without having to pay for ice time, they'll pay for themselves. Therefore I'm not adverse to shelling out some cash.

What are some options?

On a side note open hockey sessions at this rink are only 1:30, which is pretty short. However there's a public skate after open hockey which I could jump into at no extra charge, but no sticks or pucks. Think it's worth the ice time or will skating without a stick be detrimental?

If you want to become a better skater and puck handler then this:

comfortable inline rec skates (the ones with soft sides), hard wheels, green biscuit, any smooth surface you can find (like your local park) to skate on, a wraparound for your blade or an abs blade on a shaft and then get out there and skate and puck handle.

For passing get a green biscuit, a smooth board and a tape 2 tape device.

For shooting you need about 20 pucks, a shooting pad and a net or tarp to shoot at.

For the public skate I've often found it depends on how many turn up and how flexible they are at the rink about skating with a stick. Some rinks have a absolute no policy, some will let you skate with a stick only, some will let you stick and puck but stay out of every ones way ie stay down one end and absolutely no shooting. Ask and see what they say. For example at one rink I can stick and puck during the day public sessions, at another rink no sticks but they are fine if you take a puck onto the ice and practice kicking it, toe flicks etc.

As to skating without a stick, any time you spend on the ice is going to improve your skating ability. Without wanting to sound like I'm preaching about this, you need to do a lot more one foot balance drills - with or without a stick. Here is one to show what I mean - set your camera up and skate away from the camera, then skate back towards it doing this, balance on one leg then try to do as deep a knee bend as possible on the glide leg and then stand up and swap legs and repeat. Now watch the video and see how you bring the glide skate underneath and in line with your body and the blade is vertical to the ice when you do the knee bend.

Edited by Vet88

Definitely a benefit to skating without a stick, particularly in your first year of skating.

For the public skate I've often found it depends on how many turn up and how flexible they are at the rink about skating with a stick. Some rinks have a absolute no policy, some will let you skate with a stick only, some will let you stick and puck but stay out of every ones way ie stay down one end and absolutely no shooting. Ask and see what they say. For example at one rink I can stick and puck during the day public sessions, at another rink no sticks but they are fine if you take a puck onto the ice and practice kicking it, toe flicks etc.

As to skating without a stick, any time you spend on the ice is going to improve your skating ability. Without wanting to sound like I'm preaching about this, you need to do a lot more one foot balance drills - with or without a stick. Here is one to show what I mean - set your camera up and skate away from the camera, then skate back towards it doing this, balance on one leg then try to do as deep a knee bend as possible on the glide leg and then stand up and swap legs and repeat. Now watch the video and see how you bring the glide skate underneath and in line with your body and the blade is vertical to the ice when you do the knee bend.

YES!!!

Do a LOT more single-leg skating. Outside edges, inside edges, and particularly as Vet88 said above--balancing and gliding on the center of your blade.

You can also work on mohawk turns, backwards crossovers, transitions, power turns, etc.

Both hands on the stick when you make the turn, I'd even suggest slowing down a bit and try to get half crossovers starting as you pass the halfway point of the turn then transitioning to your forward stride as you come out of the turn. I prefer getting players to do these types of drills in a figure 8 so you work both sides during the drill. I have a drill for turning that gets your feet in line and you balanced over the center of your skates. My shoulder is starting to settle down (at least I'm not chewing as many pain killers now) so hoping to be back on the ice next week coaching and I'll get a couple of drills together for you. Well done though, each vid you post you can see yourself improving and getting more comfortable on your skates.

Edited by Vet88

You are making great progress! Definitely keep both hands on the stick when you turn and put the blade into the side you are turning on. This helps shift your weight and body which gives you the edge bite you need to make a quick turn. I know you are trying hard to do everything perfect but you need to let your body relax. You look very stiff. Your body has trouble doing things if everything is tense. Don't forget to breath, this is another mistake people make. Before you know it you will get comfortable with things and your body will go into auto pilot.

• Like 1

My number one rule, Heads up! Practice not looking at the puck from the beginning, it's a hard habit to break later on down the track. During this drill try and look 2 or even 3 pucks ahead and try to picture the lines on the ice where you want the puck to go.

• Like 2

My number one rule, Heads up! Practice not looking at the puck from the beginning, it's a hard habit to break later on down the track. During this drill try and look 2 or even 3 pucks ahead and try to picture the lines on the ice where you want the puck to go.

YEAH! heads up early on. i learned that the hard way during my first house league as a kid. (i sucked, and still do) so i was plopped on the team with a lot of really good kids, who spent day and night at the rink. i chased the puck (head down) into the boards and passed it out. for a second i was really proud of myself, then i turned around and the star of the team bent me over the boards. Coach yelled "JOHN!!!" and the kid said, "what, he's gotta learn to skate with his head up!!!" THAT was the day i learned to skate with my head up AT. ALL. TIMES.

Nearly everyone has a dominant foot / hand / side, the true ambidextrous are rare. One of the ways to counter it as you learn is to do mutliples of the drill on the weak side to one on the better side. For example alternate bubble c cuts, do 2 or 3 on the weak side to one on the better side. Figure 8 drills you do 2 circles on the weak side to one on the better side. For stopping you can use the ladder drill but just keep going in the same direction after each stop. And just spend the next few weeks stopping only on that side.