Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

learning hockey at an advanced age

On 9/8/2015 at 2:52 PM, Amazinmets73 said:

Skating 3:

Second time skating.Any advice on my form?

More knee bending / get lower in your stance and try to exaggerate your push movements.  That should help out your loss of balance at the 7 second mark.

Also keep your ankles stiff, not floppy as if your were running or playing soccer.

But pretty good for 2nd time on the ice to be honest.     Keep going and pushing yourself to something with better technique or / do it faster faster or try something new each time you get on the ice.

8 hours ago, rusty_black said:

More knee bending / get lower in your stance and try to exaggerate your push movements.  That should help out your loss of balance at the 7 second mark.

Also keep your ankles stiff, not floppy as if your were running or playing soccer.

But pretty good for 2nd time on the ice to be honest.     Keep going and pushing yourself to something with better technique or / do it faster faster or try something new each time you get on the ice.

Hopefully by now you've realized that video is 2 years old and Mr. Mets has progressed significantly in that time. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, proth0303 said:

LOL!!!

7 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Hopefully by now you've realized that video is 2 years old and Mr. Mets has progressed significantly in that time. 

HA   well in that case I sure hope he's better than that now.   Just trying to be helpful!

I think I only went back 1 page or so, didn't even check the date! 

On 4/27/2017 at 5:26 PM, rusty_black said:

HA   well in that case I sure hope he's better than that now.   Just trying to be helpful!

I think I only went back 1 page or so, didn't even check the date! 

Check out the last video on page 7 of this thread.  Same dude.  WAY different!

Just wanted to drop in and give substantial props and credit to Amazinmets73The videos of your progress right up to the ones your posted above are very impressive in such a short amount of time, especially assuming you also have a job and/or school that requires your time. You've advanced beyond what i would have predicted for someone having started from a similar position. 

I was put on skates at ~3 years old, spent half my life in ice arenas, helped coach HS hockey teams, and I can honestly say I'm impressed! 

Is it weird for you to watch your old videos? 

• Like 1

Holy crap. It’s been a while since I checked this thread out. Is that even the same person??

Well, he skates a whole hell of a lot better than I do, that’s for sure. Though I also envy his ability to get an empty rink to practice on. 

Thanks! I still have a long way to go, that's for sure. Yes, I work, but I'm self-employed and set my own schedule. Trust me, my progress would be far less impressive if you knew how many hours of skating I've logged over the past 2 years. 

Yea, it's strange. Getting on the ice is so customary now it's hard to imagine I spent the majority of my life having no idea how to skate! 

What you have accomplished since you first started is truly amazing.  It's nice that you have recorded your progress over the course of time.  

It's amazing to see how much you've improved since the beginning. The fact that you fell in one of those videos shows that you're still pushing and testing the limits, which can only lead to more improvement. Keep it up!

What a jump! Probably some of the most progress we've seen yet!  I'm trying to put my thumb on it, maybe you're stepping over more so than driving the legs under? Definitely make sure you're keeping the butt down, knees bent, chest up, especially transitioning forwards to backwards or vice versa.  It's great to see you pushing yourself outside your comfort zone.  Your first steps are great, you're really getting the feet moving and shifting your weight well, just stay low when you switch directions.  When you fell, it looks like it was a matter of leaning and having your center of gravity off.

2449zkh.jpg

• Like 1

you look great. my only thought was don't let your body get to tight. The way you are holding your right arm and glove looks like you don't want to move them. Keep the glove up but relax and let things move a little. Time to let your body go on auto-pilot. You are a great example of what persistence is. Keep i up.

6 hours ago, Larry54 said:

It's amazing to see how much you've improved since the beginning. The fact that you fell in one of those videos shows that you're still pushing and testing the limits, which can only lead to more improvement. Keep it up!

I was just going to say that! Keep pushing those limits!

Don't keep your right hand up, get it level with the stick hand and let your arms move in motion with your body. If you keep your right hand up you are skating in a position that is totally different to when you want to hold the stick in 2 hands, this is why you skate with the hands relatively level to each other when you are skating with one hand on the stick. A transition to 2 hands on the stick means the top hand comes up a little and the bottom hand drops down a little but your shoulders, torso and balance are still consistent to your one hand on stick stance.