Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

learning hockey at an advanced age

I have read almost all of the responses in here. I’m 39. And only played in high school. Started playing again this year and it felt like my first time on the ice. But the response in here tells me I can still do this and keep trying. Because I love this game and working at it. Thank you all for this. 

• Like 4

On 8/6/2015 at 10:08 PM, Amazinmets73 said:

I'm 27 going on 28 and am planning to learn to play hockey with no experience. I've never skated save for a one hour juant on a local rink 3 years ago, never handled a stick, etc. Whats the potential cieling for someone with my background? I've spoken to some friends with hockey backgrounds and the general consensus is that achieving sufficient proficiency for even the lowest recreational league is a long shot.

Don't listen to the negative.   I don't suggest stepping into a league. 

I recommend getting a hockey instructor that can teach you how to skate with proper technique.  Go stop,  turn , pivot .  Then bring  in the stick and puck .  Once you can do the two together then step into a league.  Also continue lessons to refine  your skills  . Also between hockey and lessons skate any public sessions you can . 

Much of the how rapid you improve has to do with the work you are willing to put in. You have to be in a position to invest the time and money  into this mission.... I don't know where your from   . I teach skating,  power skating and skills  .If  you dedicate a year to getting ready to play you will have fun learning and have fun playing . Meet good people.  I suggest getting elbow pads ,hockey pant pad girdle ,knee / shin pads ,stuff that fits under warm up pants  and a helmet,  this was you can fall with out getting bruised up .You will be more willing to try things  .. 

If you are learning to skate get lessons from a figure skating instructor. You can still wear a hockey skate. In my experience a figure skating instructor will teach you how to use your edges, maximize your stride and all around balance. When my son was playing at a high level the teams always brought a figure skating instructor in to help them. Once you get the skating down then you can work in using a stick and puck. 

1 hour ago, chk hrd said:

If you are learning to skate get lessons from a figure skating instructor. You can still wear a hockey skate. In my experience a figure skating instructor will teach you how to use your edges, maximize your stride and all around balance. When my son was playing at a high level the teams always brought a figure skating instructor in to help them. Once you get the skating down then you can work in using a stick and puck. 

Agree to some extent  . One of my teachers can figure skate and hockey skate  . He still teaches  .   He never said this is figure skating move or anything like that . But I'm sure he mixed the two in his teaching  . As a teacher now I find my self teach school figures as part of the way I teach.   . ... some of these folks on you tube doing power skating with hydra blading and jumping over the stick in stride . I don't agree with.  It's all taught to the kids going to fast...   

On 1/13/2018 at 3:01 PM, Playmakersedge said:

Don't listen to the negative.   I don't suggest stepping into a league. 

I recommend getting a hockey instructor that can teach you how to skate with proper technique.  Go stop,  turn , pivot .  Then bring  in the stick and puck .  Once you can do the two together then step into a league.  Also continue lessons to refine  your skills  . Also between hockey and lessons skate any public sessions you can . 

Much of the how rapid you improve has to do with the work you are willing to put in. You have to be in a position to invest the time and money  into this mission.... I don't know where your from   . I teach skating,  power skating and skills  .If  you dedicate a year to getting ready to play you will have fun learning and have fun playing . Meet good people.  I suggest getting elbow pads ,hockey pant pad girdle ,knee / shin pads ,stuff that fits under warm up pants  and a helmet,  this was you can fall with out getting bruised up .You will be more willing to try things  .. 

I recommend not responding to a 9-pg thread based only on reading the first post on P.1.:tongue: The guy has come a very long way and has posted videos of his progress all along. 

Edited by YesLanges
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 1:30 PM, LFOD78 said:

I have read almost all of the responses in here. I’m 39. And only played in high school. Started playing again this year and it felt like my first time on the ice. But the response in here tells me I can still do this and keep trying. Because I love this game and working at it. Thank you all for this. 

Welcome. I signed up here exactly 4 years ago, shortly before getting back on the ice for the first time in 24 years at 52. No doubt, the first time was brutal; but it comes back. Just go to sticks & pucks a couple of times a week and you'll be ready to play again in a couple of months. Everything comes back except for the speed and reflexes that you'd have lost anyway just by virtue of aging. If you haven't stayed in shape in the interim, you should just start working out and doing some cardio. That's something I never stopped doing and I know it would have been a lot harder to start playing again if I had. Been playing in a 50+ league, sticks & pucks once or twice a week, and doing clinics whenever I can ever since.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, YesLanges said:

I recommend not responding to a 9-pg thread based only on reading the first post on P.1.:tongue: The guy has come a very long way and has posted videos of his progress all along. 

Yeah yeah , You puck head 😜  so my advice is a little late to the party

Serious note I would if I could  not capable of it . I have tricks to get short stuff like a post . That's a general way .  From a page I see : Jack jill up hill water . And that is a puzzle of letters.  It's very weird. 

2 hours ago, YesLanges said:

Welcome. I signed up here exactly 4 years ago, shortly before getting back on the ice for the first time in 24 years at 52. No doubt, the first time was brutal; but it comes back. Just go to sticks & pucks a couple of times a week and you'll be ready to play again in a couple of months. Everything comes back except for the speed and reflexes that you'd have lost anyway just by virtue of aging. If you haven't stayed in shape in the interim, you should just start working out and doing some cardio. That's something I never stopped doing and I know it would have been a lot harder to start playing again if I had. Been playing in a 50+ league, sticks & pucks once or twice a week, and doing clinics whenever I can ever since.  

Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement. Cardio I’m working on for sure. It’s a challenge up here in NH it’s been below zero everyday except for two for two months. But it’s getting better every time I get on the ice. Thank you again everyone. 

11 minutes ago, LFOD78 said:

Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement. Cardio I’m working on for sure. It’s a challenge up here in NH it’s been below zero everyday except for two for two months. But it’s getting better every time I get on the ice. Thank you again everyone. 

Enjoy the game.   Hey you can make a rink in one night with those temperatures 

• Like 1

On 07/08/2015 at 3:08 AM, Amazinmets73 said:

I'm 27 going on 28 and am planning to learn to play hockey with no experience. I've never skated save for a one hour juant on a local rink 3 years ago, never handled a stick, etc. Whats the potential cieling for someone with my background? I've spoken to some friends with hockey backgrounds and the general consensus is that achieving sufficient proficiency for even the lowest recreational league is a long shot.

Blimey, you are not far off drawing your pension. :biggrin: BTW I'm impressed with your progress.

I started learning to play hockey one year ago when I was 53. One lad I sometimes play with is in his early seventies and has been learning for a couple of years. Sure he doesn't have the speed and agility of youth, but he does well. I doubt someone of our age could ever be a top rank player, but I'm hoping I can turn myself iinto a solid player in a rec team.

Edited by Leif
  • Like 2

Haha, the difference in your skating is starting to become really noticeable now. From 4 months ago when you really started to work on dropping eyelets to now, much better edge control and balance.

First thing that stands out for me is that your not getting full leg extension, this makes your stride short and choppy and impacts on your recovery stride. Have a look at this to see what I mean with a couple of tips to help you out. https://vimeo.com/195247373

After looking at the vid again, I've just realised you have laced up, if you really want to get that stride correct then unlace. You can't cheat on the return stride, you must bring the foot completely back underneath you before you roll across the top of it to start the outward push and then maintain a correct angle onto the blade. Yes, your speed is slow as you learn to stride but for improving your technique unlacing is hard to beat.

Edited by Vet88
set your feet freeeee
  • Like 1

Don’t worry , don’t get so technical.  

Skate , pass , have ze fun and drink ze beer.

it is a simple game that too many try to make complicated.

i am qualified to say this as the greatest bench warmer in the history of mn high school hockey.

I recommend Grain Belt Nordeast.

Edited by MN old and slow