Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

learning hockey at an advanced age

Have a look back thru the thread at some of his earlier vids, the diff is quite noticeable as he now skates more upright over the blade giving him better balance, technique and power. Primary reason for doing it, if you have any technical issues when skating then no laces finds you out immediately.

Give it a go, you don't have to skate lace free. Just undo your laces and try the following - v starts, front to back transitions and 360 degree power turns. If you don't fall off any of your edges, primarily your inside edge, when doing these then your technique is pretty damn good.

Edited by Vet88

This is great stuff Amazin.  It's been a joy to see how much you've improved over this thread, and it's great that you put yourself out there and are so open to learning/critiques from people on this thread.

Try to "roll" your top hand a little more when stick handling so your motion is a bit more fluid.  Rolling your top hand will allow you to cradle the puck a bit easier from side to side.

Good stuff!

On 5/9/2018 at 1:04 AM, shoot_the_goalie said:

This is great stuff Amazin.  It's been a joy to see how much you've improved over this thread, and it's great that you put yourself out there and are so open to learning/critiques from people on this thread.

Try to "roll" your top hand a little more when stick handling so your motion is a bit more fluid.  Rolling your top hand will allow you to cradle the puck a bit easier from side to side.

Good stuff!

Thanks so much! That aspect of stickhandling is very difficult for me. I've been instructed to roll my wrists and "brush the puck", but unfortunately I often revert to bad habits. 

I just found out about your thread. This is amazing seeing your progress and your continued enthusiasm over 3 years! You probably already know this, but the YouTube channel iTrainHockey has a great skater whose skating you can practice replicating. Are you playing in a league now or just sticking to drop-in/open hockey?

On 8/29/2018 at 12:23 PM, BlueNux said:

I just found out about your thread. This is amazing seeing your progress and your continued enthusiasm over 3 years! You probably already know this, but the YouTube channel iTrainHockey has a great skater whose skating you can practice replicating. Are you playing in a league now or just sticking to drop-in/open hockey?

Thanks so much! 

Yes, I know Sean. Great coach! 

Subbing for a C league squad; probably will play full-time next season. Hoping to get to B league within a year

Amazin.  As always...great great stuff!  I think you’re now at the skill level where we can say “keep your head up!”.  It’s a compliment to you that your feet and hands are good enough to start focusing on keeping your head up and working on that aspect of the game.

Glad I came across this. I am 22 and learned to ice skate in June. Public skated 2-3 hours a week over the summer. Got gear and did a few stick and pucks and started working with a coaching October (he lets me participate in his other lessons for free bc I'm a broke college kid but he sees that I want to be good) then played in some pick up games and even got asked to fill in for a hurt player for the last few weeks of that league. My first official season in the league starts Monday. I'm on ice 4-5 hours a week now, plus off ice workouts pretty much every day (whether it is roller hockey, weight lifting or doing core/balance workouts). Luckily I am in a small town in Texas so the average player is not as good as they would be up north so its been a good growing environment. But keep it up! I loved looking through your story, you're an inspiration whether you know it or not. Here's a few clips of me at stick and puck over the last couple weeks. Don't judge too hard, I've only been ice skating for 6 months, and I had never even watched hockey before April 2019

Edited by mhouse7
  • Like 1