Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

learning hockey at an advanced age

God, I love this thread Amazin'.  You have really shown the MSH community what one can do when someone who clearly loves the game, put their heart and mind into it.  And to your credit and to the MSH communities' credit too, people have given you great advice and feedback, and you've just taken off with it...  kudos.

@Amazinmets73 Looks great!  And something I'm totally guilty of and not even just on jump backs, is not shifting the weight to the inside leg and loading up for the first crossover.  For the most part you're nailing it, there are a few times where you're not putting as much weight or pressure to the inside leg on the jump back and you're having the outside leg, which is extended for the stop, do all or most of the work.

You're going such a great job with the smooth crossovers in the second video.  Nice and level, no bobbing.  Fantastic.

Seriously, keep up the great work.  Have you been playing in pick up or any game situations at this point?

Edited by MyBoxersSayJoe

On 3/8/2020 at 10:55 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

God, I love this thread Amazin'.  You have really shown the MSH community what one can do when someone who clearly loves the game, put their heart and mind into it.  And to your credit and to the MSH communities' credit too, people have given you great advice and feedback, and you've just taken off with it...  kudos.

Thanks so much! So far as I'm concerned I'm just getting going 😉

15 hours ago, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

@Amazinmets73 Looks great!  And something I'm totally guilty of and not even just on jump backs, is not shifting the weight to the inside leg and loading up for the first crossover.  For the most part you're nailing it, there are a few times where you're not putting as much weight or pressure to the inside leg on the jump back and you're having the outside leg, which is extended for the stop, do all or most of the work.

You're going such a great job with the smooth crossovers in the second video.  Nice and level, no bobbing.  Fantastic.

Seriously, keep up the great work.  Have you been playing in pick up or any game situations at this point?

Yes! Haven't played any league games since moving to Minnesota but I've played a lot of pick-up. Was playing in a league back in CT. Played with varying skill levels. Best player I've played with/against is currently in the AHL. His skills blew me away

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 5:01 AM, Amazinmets73 said:

Yes! Haven't played any league games since moving to Minnesota but I've played a lot of pick-up. Was playing in a league back in CT. Played with varying skill levels. Best player I've played with/against is currently in the AHL. His skills blew me away

Decades ago, I played at a pick-up game with multiple local guys playing in NCAA Div I and Div III schools who were back home for Christmas break. I was a goalie. They sniped all corners like it was nothing. I felt like Swiss cheese.

Edited by caveman27

On 3/21/2020 at 8:44 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Yes.  It's jaw-dropping playing against elite talent in any sport (who are probably not even trying their hardest if you get the opportunity to play them)

Sometimes we get prospect players from universities around the area to run the drills for the kids that I help coach, it might be a mandatory thing that they must do for their classes. One of them was showing his favourite deke at a medium pace, and it caught me off guard and flat footed. I wasn't even part of the drill and he caught me.

I was so excited to see this thread pop up!

Damn, probably better on one leg than I am at this point!  Once you're comfortable with it, see if you can keep the planted leg's knee bent a little more, so you can pump and control more with that leg than your lifted leg.  Awesome that you're working on these finer skills.

Outside edge stops look incredibly smooth and fluid.  Your step over following it is nice and smooth.

Hope you're doing well and please keep posting updates! Six years into this venture how do you feel about it?  Are you still loving it?

Awesome! In a few years you managed to reach a higher level of skating technique than many players who have been playing all their lives. I assume you're practicing those exercises on the other foot, too. 😉

Edited by Larry54

On 11/1/2021 at 12:45 AM, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

I was so excited to see this thread pop up!

Damn, probably better on one leg than I am at this point!  Once you're comfortable with it, see if you can keep the planted leg's knee bent a little more, so you can pump and control more with that leg than your lifted leg.  Awesome that you're working on these finer skills.

Outside edge stops look incredibly smooth and fluid.  Your step over following it is nice and smooth.

Hope you're doing well and please keep posting updates! Six years into this venture how do you feel about it?  Are you still loving it?

Sorry I missed this! Yes, I still love it! The 8 month forced layoff due to covid was just awful.  

You aren't that advanced in age -- I started playing at 36 with ZERO experience in hockey and less than a year of semi-regular skating.

I've put in quite a few hours skating grabbing public skates to get really good at skating. I even took a power skating class this past summer -- I learned the middle and high wchool kids have WAY more energy than I do 🤣. I stick handle at home whenever I'm bored or trying to get good at a skill or just puck feel in general.

As far as the ceiling I couldn't say, but with a good bit of hard work you can get proficient and be competitive enough to get out and have a good time and feel good about your performance.

• Like 1

Always awesome to see this thread pop back up here and there.  What a great thread this has and will be.

Great work and progression as always Trey!  Your progress and dedication has been nothing short of incredible.  Keep it up!

To nitpick, since I'm sure you'll take the advice in stride and improve on it in the next video you post, rotate that top hand more when stick handling.  It'll allow you to be smoother with the puck.  You'll know you're doing it enough when the stick handling becomes much quieter.

Also, ever think about going to a hollow with a little more bite, maybe 1"? (I think you said you're doing 1 1/4" in your bio video). I think it would help you hold your inside edges on your turns a bit more, allowing you to make even sharper turns.

But again, that's nitpicking.  You're doing great.  Keep it up!

On 5/14/2022 at 2:28 AM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Always awesome to see this thread pop back up here and there.  What a great thread this has and will be.

Great work and progression as always Trey!  Your progress and dedication has been nothing short of incredible.  Keep it up!

To nitpick, since I'm sure you'll take the advice in stride and improve on it in the next video you post, rotate that top hand more when stick handling.  It'll allow you to be smoother with the puck.  You'll know you're doing it enough when the stick handling becomes much quieter.

Also, ever think about going to a hollow with a little more bite, maybe 1"? (I think you said you're doing 1 1/4" in your bio video). I think it would help you hold your inside edges on your turns a bit more, allowing you to make even sharper turns.

But again, that's nitpicking.  You're doing great.  Keep it up!

I know I need to work on the top hand rotation. Thanks so much; I need consistent reminders. 

Yes, I was actually planning that. I'm going to sharpen this week and try a 1" or possibly 7/8"